Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 03:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post

I don't know what Wal-Mart or Target carry for men's clothes, but a girl I used to work with dressed mostly in Target clothing and looked fabulous every day. I dress nicely (shop at Banana Republic, etc.), but I don't spend a lot on clothes, EXCEPT if they're classic pieces that I can wear forever. I've managed to find some very nice clothes on sale. As an attractive female, I can tell you there's a drastic difference in the number of guys who check me out on the street when I'm dressed nicely versus when I'm dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. I also notice men checking out other women who are dressed nicely, so I believe there's a lot to be said for dressing in clothes that flatter you instead of just dressing because society says we can't be naked in public. Lastly, when we're dressed nicely, we tend to exude a different attitude that also catches people's attention. So maybe you can buy one nice outfit, test out how you feel and what responses you get from women and go from there.

Regardless, you have to spend money on clothes, so why not buy clothes that flatter you instead of making you look like every other guy out there? You can probably even find some decent clothes in a thrift store if you're really against paying a little more for clothes.
I wouldn't date a woman who dressed at Walmart or Target or Kmart. That's where I go and shop for doormats and garbage cans for crissake.

Maybe JCPennys if she was cute. Macys is good. Banana Republic is good. I shop there too. DKNY, Calvin Klein, Penguin, and Diesel and few vintage clothes pieces thrown in.

For women, I like Express, DKNY, Club Monaco and believe it or not, the Limited...

Old 06-11-2012, 03:15 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post
Hmm, go figure. My ex said I looked so good in that picture I looked metrosexual and almost didn't contact me because she thought I was gay .
I agree that's the best picture. You don't look gay, but that tells you something about guys in this country: In general, they don't dress that well! And women are so unaccustomed to seeing straight men dressed nicely that we automatically assume they're gay. My ex also dressed nicely, so I assumed he was gay. Obviously, he's not gay, but it was awesome to date a guy who cared how he looked and dressed because he always looked good. It got my attention and it kept it. We're just good friends now, but I still think he always looks hot.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
What is your diet and work out like?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You look like a nice guy.

That's what I think when I look at you.

Nice guy.

But you don't have a spark of...um...gumption in your eye.

I like gumption.
I would argue that while he may have a certain look, his interaction thus far on this thread and others seems to denote that he does have a backbone, and, moreover, seems fairly set in his ways/opinions/habits/lifestyle, and resistant to other viewpoints. Perhaps even a bit rigid (though that could be the OCD). He says he's not Type A, but that's not the only way of being stubborn, and people who fancy themselves as more receding, socially, can still often be behaviorally stubborn to the detriment of their own betterment. Just food for thought.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM

227 posts, read 465,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
This may be mean and I really don't want to hurt your feelings, but I wouldn't date you based solely upon how you dress. I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money on clothing because I also prefer not to spend much on clothing, but there's something to be said for looking like you think highly of yourself instead of looking like you've rolled out of bed and threw on some clothes that were lying around.

Huh......really not sure wether to be insulted, grateful, angry, retort or submit to that comment. Part of me says woman who judge that much by clothing alone can take a flying leap for all I care, the other part of me says there may be some good truth that could benefit me and another part just wants to say screw all this entirely

Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I wouldn't date a woman who dressed at Walmart or Target or Kmart. That's where I go and shop for doormats and garbage cans for crissake.

Wow, and I thought I was picky/demanding

Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,903 times
Quote:
Huh......really not sure wether to be insulted, grateful, angry, retort or submit to that comment. Part of me says woman who judge that much by clothing alone can take a flying leap for all I care, the other part of me says there may be some good truth that could benefit me and another part just wants to say screw all this entirely
My statement truly was not meant to hurt your feelings, though maybe I didn't do well in articulating my point. Like I said in another post, the picture of you in post 8 is the best. You look well-dressed, confident and have a nice smile - all of which would get my attention. It's possible that I am a snob (I'm an east coast city girl), but in all of the other pictures, you're dressed very plainly. What I mean is that there's simply no style or nothing to really flatter you or to tell me that you're a fun, young, single guy, hence you're not going to get or maintain my attention. There's also nothing in what you wear that suggests you put effort into how you look, which translates into not caring about your appearance. I know plenty of nerdy, outdoorsy straight guys who dress in more flattering clothes that show a bit of style and make them appear their age. That's all I'm suggesting for you. And I'm trying to do so as politely as possible.

If you're looking to leave your small town and move to a city, chances are you're going to have to look less hick in order to compete in the dating scene. Again, truly not meant to offend you. (I come from a small town, and most small town guys dress like you. I've lived in big cities for a decade and city guys don't dress like you = automatic disadvantage with the ladies.) You don't have to go all out to add some style or effort to your appearance, but some modifications would probably help you. If nothing else, I think some different shoes and jeans would do a lot for you, but you're not going to find them at Target or Wal-Mart.

I Googled fashion for straight guys and found this website. You don't have to adopt anything/everything on here, it's JUST to give you some ideas. If you're not comfortable in something, it will show. But if you can get any ideas that will make you feel better or more confident, then that's all you need. I don't know exactly who you're trying to attract, but from the sound of some of the posts I read on here, I think you're going for pretty attractive women. In that case, you're going to compete with very attractive guys, who most likely dress in a way to attract the attractive women.

Your Guys Style
(I don't even like Justin Timberlake, but his clothes fit well, don't look frumpy, and he has some style. Patrick Dempsey - need I say more? Just look at his makeover and the effect it has on the ladies in his '80s movie "Can't Buy Me Love.")

Again, seriously NOT trying to offend, but trying to help.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post
Wow, and I thought I was picky/demanding
How is that picky. I shop at all of the stores mentioned. Ive spent hundreds of dollars on clothes to look good. A woman im dating should put in the same effort.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Ok, better understood now Katy, sorry. Im real sensative *if that wasn't obvious enough* and have been picked on and judged all my life so I get real defensive by even the slightest things, just tends to happen automatically after all the years of doing it, again other personal battle.

I'll look that website and see what I can incorprate, afford and find in my smaller town. We don't have Gaps or Bannana Republic, hell, we lost our AmberCrombie last year but not that I could pull that off anyway. We do have OLD Navy, Dillards, JCPenny and a variety of more trendy stores in our main mall. To get to anything major outlet stores, is nearly 3 hours away

Old 06-11-2012, 06:10 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
OP-Here's the truth: You need to hit the gym, tan, lose the glasses and keep the hair longer than tiny spikes on your head..

I'm digging you in the titanic pic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships