Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:16 PM

107 posts, read 343,286 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm looking for advice on this matter because I am going INSANE!! My boyfriend really needs to grow up and I don't know what to do to motivate him. He hasn't had a job in about 6 months. He claims that he tries, its too hard and stressful. But I fill out his apps for him, made his resume, send them out to employers online, etc. Before, he was making good money, and at one point working 2-3 jobs at a time(we were not together during this time). Most of his jobs during the past few years have been under the table working for friends. The last "real" job he had was 3 or 4 years ago.

So in this relationship, I am the only one with a car and the only one with a job. I don't make very much(Working on finding something better). I am having to take care of the both of us on a one person "just getting by" income. He adds expenses like they are nothing, without thinking about the stress he is causing me. For example, I have one cat, but he has brought in 2 strays that we are now feeding. It gets expensive! He is always asking me to buy him things that are cheap but I still can't afford.

With every paycheck I get I sit down and tell him how much I have after rent, bills, etc. It is usually only about $100-$150. I explain to him that this is all I have for food, gas, etc. to last until my next paycheck(I am paid twice a month). I explain this all to him hoping he will understand that we have basically no wiggle room. Yet he continues to ask for things and when i tell him i don't have money(meaning i literally have $20 in my pocket and it's a week and a half until my next paycheck) he gets mad.

He constantly tries to make me seem like the bad person because I "only care about money" and he "doesn't need money to enjoy life".

Sorry for such a long post but I can't seem to figure this out. I know he isn't normally like this. I've been "stuck" before. And he is not a bad person like this post might make him seem. Some people tell me to just forget about him and take care of myself. Others tell me to be supportive and help him out of this hole. He likes to have other people take care of him and do things for him. How can I motivate him to do things for himself or make him understand how much stress he is causing me without making him feel like I am attacking him???

HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
You are enabling him. If he really wants to find a job...any job...he would make finding one, his full time job.

Give him 1 month to find a job and start contributing if he doesn't...toss him out.

You have no future with this freeloader.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
No, he doesn't need money to enjoy life....he has you supporting him! Keep the cats and kick him out.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
DUMP HIM. I'm sorry, but you're just carrying him. Why are you even bothering with this guy? If he cared about you, he would be taking care of his own expenses or working like crazy to do so.

This dude is a leech. Don't try to fix the relationship. If he doesn't need money to enjoy life, let him enjoy life WITHOUT YOU AND YOUR MONEY. Seriously. Kick his butt out and don't look back.

I don't care how nice he is, how much you two have in common, how good in bed he is or whatever reasons you're giving for staying with him. He's not nice (telling you you only care about money is NOT nice - it's bull****). He's lazy. He's selfish. He's exploitative. Need I go on? I can come up with a lot more not-so-nice adjectives for him without descending into exaggeration. Oh, and he's probably a sociopath unless he has some mitigating mental illness. But EITHER WAY, dump him.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
You are enabling him. If he really wants to find a job...any job...he would make finding one, his full time job.

Give him 1 month to find a job and start contributing if he doesn't...toss him out.

You have no future with this freeloader.
No, don't even give him a month. No man worth anything would mooch of his woman for an extended period of time and then ATTACK HER when she protests. He ain't worth it. He doesn't even qualify as a man, in my book.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Wow, what a pathetic excuse for a guy. It's one thing to want to enjoy life and another thing to be a lazy piece of crap. I put up with most people and their decisions because everyone is entitled to their own way of life, but lazy helpless behavior is something that I will never respect.

If you're with this guy for more than a week longer that's your own fault.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
So you see this as a money problem?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Lack of money isn't ruining your relationship...being with somebody who is using you is. Or, whatever issues landed you this prize of a guy in the first place, and motivate you to keep him around.

Announce that you will no longer be cohabiting, and see how long it takes him to start "needing money to enjoy life."

Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
So you're basically being his mommy? Why did you date him in the first place? Time to find someone new who has a job and some ambition to match yours.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:46 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,569 times
He's not a nice guy if he's mad about you not giving him $20. There have been times when I've been unemployed for a while, but I wouldn't get salty at someone for not giving me money. That's a character flaw. You shouldn't have to fill out job applications for him or provide just because he's your boyfriend. He should want to better himself for him. If you give into his demands he has little reason to better himself.

Only you can decide what you should do, but he doesn't sound like a great guy if he's attacking you about money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships