Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

This is only meaningful if there has been a statistically significant rise in the rate of divorce since the inception of facebook. Otherwise it's meaningless. Everyone has a facebook account. If it wasn't facebook, it would be cell phones or myspace or whatever form of communication...

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Everything is to blame in "today's" society. Facebook is just another "medium" which allows people who are going to cheat-cheat, and then blame facebook. Those same people most likely would have cheated by some other means or medium. We have to watch how we view things and their responses. Too much blame goes to every device, yet the person doing the act gets excused. If someone is going to cheat, I assure you that they will cheat (I've been around before computers were peoples main "social interaction"). People have been cheating for many years. Nothing is contributing to it more than the people themselves. Possibly a "society" with less morals. Less people in church. Less people taking their "marriage" vows seriously. Too much of a me me me "society". If anything "society" itself could just be much more selfish. I think simply put,-technology itself has made it easier for us to cheat. However, ultimately the responsibility falls on the person themselves. We have to stop blaming mediums and excusing our own behaviors.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-15-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 AM

657 posts, read 716,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Still waiting for your link. It's just good forum manners. I know you are new here, but now you know better.

did not know i had to prove something that is ready and available for you on the internet...

here i will post another in a few

Why Facebook Is Losing U.S. Users | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

o my bad its 6 million deavtivation

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM

657 posts, read 716,980 times
Why Facebook Is Losing U.S. Users

Has the world's No. 1 social network finally peaked in its home country?

News hit the other day that Facebook may have lost about six million users in the U.S. in one month, according to Inside Facebook, a site that analyzes the social network for developers and marketers.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
All that tells me is at least 1/3 of people getting divorced have facebook.

Not that facebook CAUSED the divorce.

Love how the media is so easily able to get people riled up by using stats no one understands.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
This is only meaningful if there has been a statistically significant rise in the rate of divorce since the inception of facebook. Otherwise it's meaningless. Everyone has a facebook account. If it wasn't facebook, it would be cell phones or myspace or whatever form of communication...
Oh, don't you know?
There was no infidelity before the internet age!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
Facebook doesn't cause cheating, but it sure makes it a lot easier. The skank my ex hubby cheated with used to stalk his FB like it was her job. She would comment on every status update, write "inside jokes" to him on there, etc. Post pictures of them hanging out...I think people should pass an IQ and maturity test to be on there, hah! I've deactivated mine for periods of time when I needed a break.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
I don't actively use facebook anymore...my account has been deactivated for quite some time now...

FWIW, facebook is not a good thing, is counter-productive, and tends to bring out the worst rather than the best in people, IMO. Web 1.0 was much better and more "normal" than a lot of the Web 2.0 apps and technologies that we are seeing today, which quite frankly strike me as practically almost schizophrenic in nature...

Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Everything is to blame in "today's" society. Facebook is just another "medium" which allows people who are going to cheat-cheat, and then blame facebook. Those same people most likely would have cheated by some other means or medium. We have to watch how we view things and their responses. Too much blame goes to every device, yet the person doing the act gets excused. If someone is going to cheat, I assure you that they will cheat (I've been around before computers were peoples main "social interaction"). People have been cheating for many years. Nothing is contributing to it more than the people themselves. Possibly a "society" with less morals. Less people in church. Less people taking their "marriage" vows seriously. Too much of a me me me "society". If anything "society" itself could just be much more selfish. I think simply put,-technology itself has made it easier for us to cheat. However, ultimately the responsibility falls on the person themselves. We have to stop blaming mediums and excusing our own behaviors.
I agree with the premise of your post, but whats up with the quotation marks? FB cant be blamed for a single divorce or a breakup. It may at times speed up the process, but all due to actions of FB users and not FB itself. It is no more at fault than McDonalds making people fat or blaming guns for killing people. How about little responsibility for your actions and holding yourself accountable, instead?

I use facebook because its a great way to keep in touch with friends around the world, that Ive made travelling over the years. Also easy way to invite groups of people or share media of all sorts. Its a great tool, if you know how to use it. FB drama is for teens and I have never been involved in any of it, nor do i intend to.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I agree with the premise of your post, but whats up with the quotation marks? FB cant be blamed for a single divorce or a breakup. It may at times speed up the process, but all due to actions of FB users and not FB itself. It is no more at fault than McDonalds making people fat or blaming guns for killing people. How about little responsibility for your actions and holding yourself accountable, instead?

I use facebook because its a great way to keep in touch with friends around the world, that Ive made travelling over the years. Also easy way to invite groups of people or share media of all sorts. Its a great tool, if you know how to use it. FB drama is for teens and I have never been involved in any of it, nor do i intend to.
Ok, I see what you mean. I guess I did get a little quote happy. Oh well, good to know for the future. But again, too much blame goes everywhere but where it should be, that is the person doing the "deceptive" act. There, I just used quotes once. A little better right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships