Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Sorry. Petty. Don't read his facebook comments if you are that insecure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D414 View Post
Ok... I just need a few opinions here.

My man and I are in a serious relationship, discussing marriage and children etc. Like many, we share our experiences on social networking sites and it is pretty obvious that we are in a relationship.

Well, today he emailed me a copy of a work email between him and a female friend/coworker. She said "small world. I know someone who knows your friend "Tami".. " ... He replies "cool! whats his name?"... and totally ignores that she referred to me as his friend.

This particular person has seen our pictures together and "liked" them so she knows that I am more than his friend. I told him that I couldnt help but notice that she called me "friend" and he said "she knows youre my girlfriend." But to me, if a guy friend or... anyone really called him my friend, I would correct them.

I was bothered because he didn't even think enough to say "cool! youre friend knows my girlfriend. nice, whats his name?"...

Am I being too sensitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
As long as he doesn't introduce you to someone as his friend, I wouldn't sweat it!!

^^^Excellent point. It is far more worrisome if your BF doesn't refer to you as his GF.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I totally agree. I leave my work relationships just that....I have witnessed too much drama over the years for those that get too involved w/ co-workers.
They work together? I thought the OPs boyfriend worked with the friend.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,837 times
Yes, you're being overly sensitive. He showed you the email...I'd say no biggie.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
D414....Don't you consider it a compliment when someone calls you their friend?...especially when you've been with them awhile?...what would you rather he called you?...I think you're being too sensitive...but I'm not sure about what...or why

Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Ok... I just need a few opinions here.

My man and I are in a serious relationship, discussing marriage and children etc. Like many, we share our experiences on social networking sites and it is pretty obvious that we are in a relationship.

Well, today he emailed me a copy of a work email between him and a female friend/coworker. She said "small world. I know someone who knows your friend "Tami".. " ... He replies "cool! whats his name?"... and totally ignores that she referred to me as his friend.

This particular person has seen our pictures together and "liked" them so she knows that I am more than his friend. I told him that I couldnt help but notice that she called me "friend" and he said "she knows youre my girlfriend." But to me, if a guy friend or... anyone really called him my friend, I would correct them.

I was bothered because he didn't even think enough to say "cool! youre friend knows my girlfriend. nice, whats his name?"...

No, you are not!! That happened to me in my last relationship! Bugged me to no end. It happened all the time, in fact-from my boyfriend/finace. HE was the one introducing me to his friends as "my friend Kris."
It was so disheartening. Words can be devastating. Meanings need to be clear.

I would rather he have called me his concubine.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes you are overreacting.

Some grown-up men feel silly using the word "girlfriend."

Besides, can you imagine what his co-worker would have thought if he had gone out of his way to correct her? In an e-mail?

I'm trying to picture a way he could have even written it without looking foolish.
"My girlfriend? Yes."

Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I don't think she necessarily meant anything by saying "friend". I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:24 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
While I tend to agree with the majority here, I still think it's weird that she would refer to you that way. You say they are friends/co-workers. I don't know about anyone else, but I refer to friends/co-workers' significant others by their names. I don't say "I saw your friend/husband John." I would just say "I saw John."

Yes, I caught that too. Unless they both know more than one Tammy (and that is totally possible) it is odd.

That being said, she probably meant no harm.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Yes. Maybe even though she kinda knew you were dating, she didn't want to be presumptuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships