Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
The irony is that feminism stresses women can do whatever they want, but if a woman wants to stay home and be a housewife she's "doing it wrong". Which is it? If you're allowed to make your own choices, why are some of those choices less valuable than others?
Sooo true. I never understood why feminists want to limit housewives choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Think of your man as a fine race horse- You love him- feed him..treat him with gentleness and he will win every race- and YOU in turn will be a rich happy lady...Nothing wrong with building your own little empire as Queen by making sure the King is in good shape...it's logic. A man is not a slave...nor is a woman...If you are loyal to each other you will find that loyalty creates royalty.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,577 times
Wouldn't this depend completely on the people involved? This question is impossible to answer.

If I were in that situation, I would think it's strange, try to understand her better, and I'd probably feel sorry for her. But ridicule her choice? A real friend wouldn't do that.

Last edited by luckynumber4; 06-17-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Take a woman who brow beats her husband about not making enough money- She sends him out the door with a frown on his face..In the work place they do not reward the unhappy man- they reward those that bring a positive attitude and a smile. If the man is happy he will earn more- It's human nature- People will not water the wilting flower in the garden- they will water the one that is in full bloom because they get instant gratification from the bloom and want more...

A man and a woman must be loyal to each other- not the system- not to the dollar - or even to the children- If they are loyal to each other everything falls into place- that is class....I have said to some men who mate up with a woman who has children from a previous marriage- and you hear her say to the new husband "My kids come first"-------well that man might as well be the last kid on the totem pole- He will never be treated with respect...This attitude that some woman have is more animalistic and maternal ...works fine if you are a lioness in the jungle- but it does not work well in human society- it's a trashy attitude....The man comes first...and if you are a man - the woman comes first...That used to be the old order- and it worked because it has existed for a thousand years- those that practice it become the elite- those that don't become the lowly miserable servants.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Sooo true. I never understood why feminists want to limit housewives choices.
Because it's a traditional role, and the most vocal feminists (the annoying ones who post on stupid websites like feministing) hate anything traditional. I'm starting to think those people are just brainwashed because they certainly cannot follow the logical conclusion of their own beliefs. Religious fanatics, crazy liberals, militant feminists, overzealous conservatives, etc., all represent a small minority of people, yet they are held up as the example of what each of those groups believe. Then you get on here and people don't even bother to read what you say, simply looking for keywords and using some auto-responder canned answer...

Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I think you need to look at this in context and content. Maybe she winks, and with a flirtatious laugh...."I just want to take CARE of my man.". Oh....I bet he is a happy man...

Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The reaction would vary depending on the particular personalities, experiences, demographics and attitudes of each individual involved in the conversation, of course. This is a question without an answer.
This. The statement is far too vague for anyone to imagine a response. Totally depends on the context of the conversation and the women involved.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM

You get more bees with sugar than you do vinegar. What's so wrong about going out of your way to stay kind and positive? A thousand years of tradition can not be all bad. Some of the greatest romances and most dynamic couples existed in the past..They followed traditions. Things that worked well and made life pleasant and secure.

All the bad traditions go by the wayside all on their own- You don't destroy all of them in 50 years with the advent of modern feminism and replace them with nothing. Tossing the baby out with the bath water, out of a sense of zealousness does not pay off. Feminism in it's natural state has always existed- NO SUCH THING as keeping a good woman down- anymore than keeping a good man down. A strong intelligent woman can not be oppressed in 1212 or 2012.

Modern feminism was supposed to take care of the weaker females - grant them protection and respect..which is good...but it is not for everyone- Some woman can take care of themselves just fine- depends on the personality. Universal protection of woman is not realistic...It's like offering protection to a whole sex - which is like offering protection to a whole race...some are strong enough to take care of themselves...and we don't need a special interest group that insists that ALL woman follow lock step with THEIR personal agenda.

Except there is one possible pit fall when it comes to "caring for your man"- The man if not smart will take advantage of the good will and get spoiled...and subjugate the woman- I had this old German neighbor who would sit out back by the lake and drink...all I could hear all day long was "Rosie- bring me something to eat--Rosie- bring more beer- Rosie bring me my teeth...Rosie is now dead- I swear he worked the old woman right into the ground.

I was one of those spoiled males. I was waited on- it was common for me to get supper in bed...eventually it ended- Now when I go visit the X- she still waits on me - but she expects me to make her a coffee once in a while...and bring her a bowl of blue berries and yogurt...even do the dishes.....well- If I would have known how good I had it back in the day- I would have been less of a jerk- maybe just a partial jerk...and would have looked out for her...live and learn - but a bit to late.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Tangental, but it's amusing to me that Sex and the City is still the touchstone for stereotyped female behavior. The show's been off the air now for longer than it even ran as a series, for one thing, and it really always painted a rather unrealistic view of a so-called "universal female experience" that is really pretty far from universal. It's an alright show, but it's not indicative of anything resembling reality for 99% of the population.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
If I have a great guy, I like to spoil him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships