Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Tangental, but it's amusing to me that Sex and the City is still the touchstone for stereotyped female behavior. The show's been off the air now for longer than it even ran as a series, for one thing, and it really always painted a rather unrealistic view of a so-called "universal female experience" that is really pretty far from universal. It's an alright show, but it's not indicative of anything resembling reality for 99% of the population.
SITC is a joke.

No woman I've ever known even vaguely remembled any of those "women"

We watched the whole series... yeah, it was mildly entertaining.

I like how SJP characater was constantly buying 5 or 6 hundred dollar shoes all the time... Give me a break.

In real life a columnist like that would probably barely make 35 or 40k a year, yet she's living like a rockstar...

The only character that was half way normalish was Miranda..

The Samantha character was a complete joke. She personified the word "slag"......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
The irony is that feminism stresses women can do whatever they want, but if a woman wants to stay home and be a housewife she's "doing it wrong". Which is it? If you're allowed to make your own choices, why are some of those choices less valuable than others?

Unless I'm paying someone else's bills, I could care less what they do. It's only when I have some financial responsibility that their decisions impact me whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Sooo true. I never understood why feminists want to limit housewives choices.
I agree as long as both are proponents of alimony. OTOH, if a couple makes this decision, it doesn't work out, and there's a fight against alimony and one or both end up standing there with their hands out to the tax payer (you and me), then I think both are stupid.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 PM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Say a woman with a lot of modern, independent girlfriends said the above to her group of friends while they were sipping cocktails or something at some hip, urbane cocktail lounge, the type Carrie and co would be seen at.

What do you think the reaction would be?

Would she be ridiculed as a 1950s housewife type?

Do a lot of women ridicule the idea of loving your man enough to want to take care of him?

Make what you will of the statement 'take care of him.' It doesn't necessarily mean waiting on him hand and foot and treating him like you're his mother, but it could to someone. It could also mean just being there emotionally, doing nice things, making sure that person is happy and doing okay (within your abilities of course. not say making their happiness your RESPONSIBILITY). I.e. focusing on what you give to the other. I'm sure both men and women could do more of it.

Let's say the lady who said this was reasonably educated and did not come from a super-conservative background.
Doesn't love mean wanting to take care of each other, each in his/her own way?
??!
Isn't love about warm-and-fuzzy feelings like that? Why do I so often feel like I'm from a different planet on this forum?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
The irony is that feminism stresses women can do whatever they want, but if a woman wants to stay home and be a housewife she's "doing it wrong". Which is it? If you're allowed to make your own choices, why are some of those choices less valuable than others?

Unless I'm paying someone else's bills, I could care less what they do. It's only when I have some financial responsibility that their decisions impact me whatsoever.
Bull.
Who said one choice was less valuable than another?
Quit making things up to fit your viewpoint.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:31 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Doesn't love mean wanting to take care of each other, each in his/her own way?
??!
Isn't love about warm-and-fuzzy feelings like that? Why do I so often feel like I'm from a different planet on this forum?
I agree. What woman would not want to take care of her man?!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Sure I take care of my man and he takes care of me too. I'm not ashamed to say it.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Bull.
Who said one choice was less valuable than another?
Quit making things up to fit your viewpoint.
Who said that? Try the majority of vocal feminists. You can pretend it doesn't exist, but that has no bearing on reality. Just recently the media was trying to put down Ann Romney's decision to be a stay-at-home mother. Am I making that up to fit some personal agenda?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:42 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,477 times
Quote:
Who said that? Try the majority of vocal feminists. You can pretend it doesn't exist, but that has no bearing on reality. Just recently the media was trying to put down Ann Romney's decision to be a stay-at-home mother. Am I making that up to fit some personal agenda?
Yes because that didn't happen.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Sooo true. I never understood why feminists want to limit housewives choices.
Boy, some people take things to extremes. Speaking as someone who is definitely a feminist, no one is telling anyone what role they may or may not choose, based on their gender. The point is that you do not have to stay home and tend it and the children simply because you are female. Plenty of accomplished professional women choose to do so. Sometimes their husbands do. Isn't that fair? (Sometime women who claim to be traditional farm their kids out to nannies and housekeepers so they can they can shop or play bridge.) But you are allowed to pursue an education and a career if you and whomever you may be linked to can work out logistics. You can even be single...

Back to the OP, there is nothing wrong with wanting to take care of your partner, spouse, husband, wife, SO, or anyone else you are emotionally tied to. I doubt anyone male or female realistically intends to base the full weight of their self worth on how well they can "take care of" someone else. That's called co-dependency, which would necessitate moving this thread to the mental health forum.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:49 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Boy, some people take things to extremes. Speaking as someone who is definitely a feminist, no one is telling anyone what role they may or may not choose, based on their gender. The point is that you do not have to stay home and tend it and the children simply because you are female. Plenty of accomplished professional women choose to do so. Sometimes their husbands do. Isn't that fair? (Sometime women who claim to be traditional farm their kids out to nannies and housekeepers so they can they can shop or play bridge.) But you are allowed to pursue an education and a career if you and whomever you may be linked to can work out logistics. You can even be single...
No, what I'm talking about are feminists who literally berate and shame housewives. It's sad, not to mention controlling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships