Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Say a woman with a lot of modern, independent girlfriends said the above to her group of friends while they were sipping cocktails or something at some hip, urbane cocktail lounge, the type Carrie and co would be seen at.

What do you think the reaction would be?

Would she be ridiculed as a 1950s housewife type?

Do a lot of women ridicule the idea of loving your man enough to want to take care of him?

Make what you will of the statement 'take care of him.' It doesn't necessarily mean waiting on him hand and foot and treating him like you're his mother, but it could to someone. It could also mean just being there emotionally, doing nice things, making sure that person is happy and doing okay (within your abilities of course. not say making their happiness your RESPONSIBILITY). I.e. focusing on what you give to the other. I'm sure both men and women could do more of it.

Let's say the lady who said this was reasonably educated and did not come from a super-conservative background.

Please don't take this post to say that's MY ideal in a woman. I mean sure, I'd like to be taken care of, but no more or differently to how I take care of her. I want a reciprocal arrangement and certainly do not EXPECT a woman to pander or pamper me, although I would like it if she sort of 'took care of me' in a way, not as a child or a dependent but as a loved one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Say a woman with a lot of modern, independent girlfriends said the above to her group of friends while they were sipping cocktails or something at some hip, urbane cocktail lounge, the type Carrie and co would be seen at.

What do you think the reaction would be?
The reaction would vary depending on the particular personalities, experiences, demographics and attitudes of each individual involved in the conversation, of course. This is a question without an answer.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
^^^ I agree!! This is not an one-answer-fits-all question.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:36 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
It's sort of normal for couples to want to take care of each other, but whether or not it's a topic for bar talk on girls night out...what's your point? Is this something that educated women don't want to do, or is it not considered modern? Exactly what does one do in an established relationship? I think you more or less answered your own question.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times
I think a woman should have this mind set.

Similarly I think a man should be compelled to have the same thoughts about his wife and kids.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,590 times
'I just want to take care of my man'

Doesn't reek of independence to me. With that said, most womens self esteem is enforced by having a man, whereas a mans self esteem is derived from his career, the ability to slay the dragons.

Me, I always took care of myself and "shared" my life with a man, not take care of a man.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:34 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
When I am partnered I view my SO as part of my life. I have his back and he has mine. But, no the words "I just want to take care of my man" would not leave my lips ever, because there is so much more to life than just being someone else's support system. I will go to extremes to help the one I'm with, but they're never going to be my sole focus, and I would not want to be theirs. Balance - it's all about balance.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Please don't take this post to say that's MY ideal in a woman. I mean sure, I'd like to be taken care of, but no more or differently to how I take care of her. I want a reciprocal arrangement and certainly do not EXPECT a woman to pander or pamper me, although I would like it if she sort of 'took care of me' in a way, not as a child or a dependent but as a loved one.
Are you a man or a woman?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:43 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
Quote:
Do a lot of women ridicule the idea of loving your man enough to want to take care of him?
This statement is skewed. I love my husband very much indeed but have no interest to "take care of him." Nor do I have an interest in him "taking care" of me. Exceptions would be during illness. If he was an invalid, I would take care of him. For me, parents are the ones "taking care" of children. Married people should be in a committed and loving relationship, but they should take care of themselves.

I would never be attracted to a man who wanted to "take care of me." I'm independent, have my own career and would regard any guy saying this as being very sexist and wanting a stay-at-home wife-- pregnant and baking oatmeal cookies. No thanks.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,454 times
The irony is that feminism stresses women can do whatever they want, but if a woman wants to stay home and be a housewife she's "doing it wrong". Which is it? If you're allowed to make your own choices, why are some of those choices less valuable than others?

Unless I'm paying someone else's bills, I could care less what they do. It's only when I have some financial responsibility that their decisions impact me whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships