Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 05:36 AM

39 posts, read 532,947 times

Advertisements

When you see a highly attractive person, what do you think? Do you assume their socially confident, can get anyone they want, etc? Do you stare? Do you become envious?

I'm doing research on highly attractive people and trying to determine whether or not they receive better treatment than us regular folks.

I have a friend who is highly attractive and he tells me that people often stare and give him better treatment because of his looks.

I'm curious to find out your opinions, and then I'll share with you my findings so far on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,385,151 times
Everyone seems to focus on very attractive people. But for the most part, some of them know it and they show it in their actions. Very few 'attractive' people can offer whats in the heart, rather than in the mirror, unfortunately.
Again, Im not saying this applies to all attractive people.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:27 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
I am not envious...

no matter how attractive you think you are, there is always someone better looking....remember that...

and if they are confident, emotionally sound, and genuinely a good person, that, to me, makes them all the more attractive....

I love art, very much, so, beauty to me, is a whole differenty entity...

Old 09-26-2007, 06:46 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,385,151 times
I gotta give you points, creme....
I dont become envious but would rather be just the average 'me' than someone Im not.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,688 times
Attractive is many different things to different people...for example, I can see a cute guy on the street and admire his face, body, etc., for being physically attractive; but, my boyfriend is the MOST attractive person to me, and has been from the beginning...chemistry, baby!! And his crazy sense of humor doesn't hurt...

Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 AM

523 posts, read 2,904,776 times
Here are my observations on very attractive people:

Attractive people often do get preferential treatment (free stuff, people doing things for them, etc.). There is also research that shows that they get better paying jobs. They get more attention and people are often more likely to listen to them when they speak (in a public speaking environment). However if their wits/personality doesn’t match their looks, people will give much harsher criticism (behind their backs) maybe due to jealousy. It is often easy for them to make friends but the relationships are often superficial and it’s hard for them to meet people who are real friends. It is also easier for them to make enemies (back to jealousy). It is easier for them to get dates but it’s often not out of real interest in the person but rather out of selfishness by the person going out with them (want to be seen with a “hot†girl/guy, want sex, bragging rights, etc.). Attractive people also get stared at all the time and others tend to try to find any flaw that they can with the person.

Some attractive people eat up the attention and use it to their advantage. These people are often conceited and don’t work very hard at making themselves well-rounded people. There are many attractive people who struggle to work on other qualities (brains, sense of humor, career, athleticism, etc.) to prove that they are more than just a pretty face and they often find themselves wondering who really likes them for who they are and not what they look like. There are a small handful that are oblivious to how attractive they are.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,600,553 times
Great Post Anu2!! I agree!!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 AM

766 posts, read 528,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am not envious...

no matter how attractive you think you are, there is always someone better looking....remember that...

and if they are confident, emotionally sound, and genuinely a good person, that, to me, makes them all the more attractive....

I love art, very much, so, beauty to me, is a whole differenty entity...

Excellent post!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,248,856 times
I think extremely attractive people do have it easier. Lucky bastards.

====edited: part ii response====

I forgot to respond to the "jealousy" part. I don't think I get jealous or envious of them though. I think it would be cool to "experience" how it's like to be super attractive but I'd say all in all, regular-looking people and really attractive people have their own set of problems to deal with.

Someone made a good point about being a super "dud" or a super "dude". The attractive person has to be likeable (as any person I guess). Being super attractive may get you "in the door" but if you don't have other goods to back you up, then you're just a dime a dozen.

Last edited by foma; 09-26-2007 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
no doubt there is a "universal" ideal about what attractive is and it has its benefits,for instance Brad Pitt or Jennifer Lopez.On the other hand what is considered external beauty is different to certain people.Some guys dig the skinny fashion model type,personally I don't.

And everybody can have bad and good days,sometimes I look in the mirror and say dang,not bad,other times I say whoa,not good.

I have gained enough respect for myself that no matter who I meet no matter how dazzling they are all people are equal to me in my book,not above me not below me.

I knew this one guy,he was a guitar player like me,he was a good looking guy but he was so conceded he once said to me "you know,I'm the perfect specimen of a male".At that moment I realized he looked down on other people including me....I just looked at him and said "whatever dude".I should have said "you are a A hole".Everybody that gets to know him thinks the same.We were in conversation one time talking about a new dummer he hired,I asked him how good he was he replied "he's alright,not a great drummer but he can get alot of the chicks like I do".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships