Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times

Advertisements

I think that, in general, all of us are becoming more tolerant of the abusive behavior of others..regardless of the form in which that abuse manifests itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:59 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
First when he was on the Grammy's and then the other night when he was on TV tons of young women went on twitter to say that R&B singer (and known woman beater) Chris Brown is so sexy that they want to be beaten by him,

I find this very disturbing, especially because I have a hunch this is an expression of major changes taking place in our culture....that a man being what women consider "sexy" trumps everything else including if he is violent towards women.

I see this as a generational shift in values. Baby boomer women wouldn't have thought this way. In fact I would guess they (as a group) would be the most outraged at the idea of women saying they want to be beaten by a man while I would guess many younger women can "feel" and relate to the women saying they want Chris Brown to beat them to a pulp.

So what do you think? Are the women who say they want Chris Brown to beat them a crazy, small minority that don't represent women as a whole? Or are they representitive of a wider trend of women who accept abusive males as long as they are "sexy".
That's a small minority, I believe, of young women who have been desensitized to that behavior. There's also the "he wouldnt do that to me" factor.

I don't know any woman who would put up with abuse like that.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I'd say the opposite is true. How many battered women shelters were there in "the good old days"? How often were women encouraged to leave their abusers 100 years ago? How often did they have the financial means to do so? Was spousal abuse openly discussed back then? Does that mean it didn't happen?

Chris Brown's continued success is disappointing to people who find his abuse a major character deficit. But I believe it has more to do with how we as a society value fame (and infamy) as opposed to acceptance of violence. People will accept a lot from people if they can make a movie, sing a song, or throw a ball.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
ALMOST all males can be and will be abusive in their immaturity. Hopefully young males will realize that their wives or girlfriends are not the mothers they attempted to boss around and manipulate- all abusive males are simply spoiled little brats and mummy boys. Boys who grow up to be big and strong who then use their superior physical power to bully with...There is the use of power- and there is the abuse of power...It is up to the male to understand that a real man does not bully woman- or other males- acting like a violent pig is a role that should be exclusive to nasty boys fixated on their overly coddling mothers.

Behind most abusive young males is a mother who was self serving and selfish. It's cowardly and childlike to abuse a woman----------in the alternative- My younger brother was constantly degraded and screamed at by his wife- When she drank she would actually strike him and he would go hide from her...I had to explain to my young bro- "You are being abused"- He never thought of it that way- being a man- One day years ago his wife was tormenting him- it was loud...she had struck him repeatedly- and someone called the cops- and took HIM away....go figure.

*It cost the family a lot of time and money to get straight again- The woman learned her lesson- and my little brother now understands that abuse can run both ways.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
I saw an old romantic movie last night and I realized that A LOT has changed. Yes, both genders are now putting up with bad behavior from each other.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
I think most "men" that would slap around a woman are the same so called men that are cowards when it comes to fighting another male. Having said that, I would like to caution you ladies that just because you find out which buttons to push that makes your man angry, doesnt mean you need to keep pushing them. I've seen some women push and push and push those buttons until he finally has enough and backhands her. You ladies cant have it both ways. Yes. It is better if he just walks away. But sometimes you ladies can be some real b*tches.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think most "men" that would slap around a woman are the same so called men that are cowards when it comes to fighting another male.
It seems that way to me too.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I saw an old romantic movie last night and I realized that A LOT has changed. Yes, both genders are now putting up with bad behavior from each other.

So life in the past was like it was in movies?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think most "men" that would slap around a woman are the same so called men that are cowards when it comes to fighting another male. Having said that, I would like to caution you ladies that just because you find out which buttons to push that makes your man angry, doesnt mean you need to keep pushing them. I've seen some women push and push and push those buttons until he finally has enough and backhands her. You ladies cant have it both ways. Yes. It is better if he just walks away. But sometimes you ladies can be some real b*tches.

Wow. Really? Being a ***** is no reason for a man to hit his wife/girlfriend. "Pushing buttons" is not asking to be hit.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
So life in the past was like it was in movies?
There were more respectful rituals with regard to romance in the past. Older people say this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships