Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Women aren't idiots; they know any man randomly starting a conversation with her wants to ****.
I couldn't disagree more. Where I come from in CA, it's very common for strangers to chat and pass the time in the grocery line, or wherever. Old, young, male, female, everyone does it, so no one associates it with a come-on. But if a chat goes well, I stick around for more. Maybe we walk out to the parking lot together, or if the guy has the nerve, he could say, would you be up for sitting down for some coffee/tea for a few minutes? This sort of thing does happen, and it's very pleasant when it does. Unfortunately, because some guys buy into all the negativity about this type of approach, it doesn't happen often enough. You guys could be getting a lot more play if you quit buying all the "NO, don't do THAT, she'll think you're a creep/dork/fill-in-the-blank" stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Where I come from in CA, it's very common for strangers to chat and pass the time in the grocery line, or wherever. Old, young, male, female, everyone does it, so no one associates it with a come-on. But if a chat goes well, I stick around for more. Maybe we walk out to the parking lot together, or if the guy has the nerve, he could say, would you be up for sitting down for some coffee/tea for a few minutes? This sort of thing does happen, and it's very pleasant when it does. Unfortunately, because some guys buy into all the negative posts about this type of approach, it doesn't happen often enough. You guys could be getting a lot more play if you quit buying all the "NO, don't do THAT, she'll think you're a creep/dork/fill-in-the-blank" stuff.

Chris Rock Offer dick - YouTube

Guys do not talk to women they're not attracted to unless necessary. And what's wrong with that? Your reply is pretty funny because you seem oblivious to it...and exactly why guys get friend-zoned and have no idea WTF happened. Guy talks to a girl, she thinks it's "just platonic", he gets confused and his feelings hurt.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM

I saw the film on another thread. Yes, I choose to be oblivious to it. When I talk to a guy, it's not necessarily because I might have a personal interest in him. Women think differently than men. My post was addressing the assumption that the woman will automatically find it creepy if a guy just casually makes a comment, a joke, or starts up light banter in a public place or grocery store. I know no one who would find that creepy. See some of the women's posts on the first couple of pages of this thread for more evidence of that.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I saw the film on another thread. Yes, I choose to be oblivious to it. When I talk to a guy, it's not necessarily because I might have a personal interest in him. Women think differently than men. My post was addressing the assumption that the woman will automatically find it creepy if a guy just casually makes a comment, a joke, or starts up light banter in a public place or grocery store. I know no one who would find that creepy. See some of the women's posts on the first couple of pages of this thread for more evidence of that.
Hmmm...I think you didn't read what I wrote. Creepy guys will come off as creepy, normal guys will not. The guys who think it's creepy to approach women in public situations either don't know how basic human interaction works (women have a pretty high tolerance for bull**** from guys) or have tried talking to women in regular situations and were labeled as creepy.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
A woman is always going to be wary initially when a stranger suddenly talks to them. It really doesn't matter whether it is a library, grocery store, etc. A guy should just observe discreetly for a while before approaching. You want to make it as if she doesn't even realize you are hitting on her initially. This makes it less creepy,threatening.

If she is at the library reading or looking for a book, try to see what the book is about. You can start by asking her about the book or subject she is reading...then go from there. If she is at the grocery store looking for wine, ask her what she recommends and other things about food, etc....then go from there. I usually will compliment on something physically about her if we are in the beauty section(hair care, hygiene, etc. shelves) of a store, but normally i would just start conversation relevant to what she is doing at the time. I want to give her control and let her be comfortable. I would make it all about her and let her do the talking unless she asks me about my opinions or interests.

Good to have your IPhone with you too. So you can look up topics that you have no clue on. If she is in the fertilizer section of Home Depot, then i would look up online right then and there whether i can ask her if Scotts or Vigoro is better....then go from there

LOL.....you must hate the New York male mating method...
i do...esp when they get violent that you won't give them a chance

Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Never understood that one. Why would it matter how the guy takes the rejection... it's over, he doesn't have a chance so what difference does it make?
It simply means that he doesnt take the rejection personal, as there could be a multitude of reasons why he was rejected. Perhaps the woman is taken, is having a difficult day, is studying for a test, just got out of a bad relationship or has her mind focused on something else. His chance may indeed be gone, but if there are other women around, they will notice that he handles being rejected gracefuly and if he approaches another woman in vicinity, his chances are now much better.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
It simply means that he doesnt take the rejection personal, as there could be a multitude of reasons why he was rejected. Perhaps the woman is taken, is having a difficult day, is studying for a test, just got out of a bad relationship or has her mind focused on something else. His chance may indeed be gone, but if there are other women around, they will notice that he handles being rejected gracefuly and if he approaches another woman in vicinity, his chances are now much better.
This is a good point. Many men seem to take rejection as a personal affront. Lighten up, guys! For women, getting rejected is just part of the sifting and weeding process. Everyone has personal preferences, if there's no "click" with one person, you move on to the next. I must say, there have been times when I've been approached and I really wanted to talk to the guy but couldn't, because I was in a hurry to get to an appointment, or wasn't feeling well and couldn't deal with it. So just because someone seems to reject you doesn't mean you shouldn't give it another try the next time you run into them.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:49 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
why does it always have to be coffee!!!!!?????? lol
open to suggestions...

Old 06-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
why does it always have to be coffee!!!!!?????? lol
Because coffee/tea is informal. It keeps things casual. Lunch can also work. But if you're in the moment, and you'd like to continue the conversation, coffee/tea will work at almost any time of day.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I was just wondering how do women feel about a guy approaching her that she has never met.
Would most women go out with a strange guy?
I've only done the "cold" strange woman approach once. She was flirty and I was working on the job. I made up an excuse to give her my work cell number on the back of a business card. lol I told her if she needed "ANYTHING" to please give me a call.

Well, she never did, and I felt like a idiot. I remember driving away after giving it to her with my hand on my forehead shaking it for how lame that stunt was!

I should have won a price for the most courage and confidence, yet being an idiot! lol

Prowly never again! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships