Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
people go to the gym to workout. Interrupting a workout is rude. Workouts end when you leave the building.
Clearly you frequent a completely different type of gym than the ones I and some of the other members around the forum have been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,803,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because it's a normal reaction to be rude to someone who is being rude to you.
You're not gonna get very far in life with that attitude, bud.

Be a better person and let it roll off your back. Think of yourself being made of Teflon in situations such as this.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,464,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Clearly you frequent a completely different type of gym than the ones I've been to.
Outside a freshman university co-Ed gym, I have no idea where people get dressed up to work out. Every gym has social events, if you want to meet.

It is terrible etiquette to disrupt workouts, as bad as not wiping sweat off seats.

Brah got a lesson in gym etiquette, and it could have been worse.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 PM

Casual chat is expected in the gyms I've been to. There are natural pauses in the workout, as I explained earlier. It's natural for newbies at a gym to ask one of the regulars how to use a certain machine. These are laid-back places where people don't wall themselves off from each other. It sounds like some gyms are part of the trend toward people isolating themselves from each other more and more. Instead of talking to live humans, they do their routines, then go home to email friends (rather than visit in person) or post on forums, lol! Sad.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:17 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,464,534 times
Quote:
Casual chat is expected in the gyms I've been to. There are natural pauses in the workout, as I explained earlier. It's natural for newbies at a gym to ask one of the regulars how to use a certain machine. These are laid-back places where people don't wall themselves off from each other. It sounds like some gyms are part of the trend toward people isolating themselves from each other more and more. Instead of talking to live humans, they do their routines, then go home to email friends (rather than visit in person) or post on forums, lol! Sad.
Chit chat and asking for spots are acceptable. Trying to get dates is not.

Like I've said, every gym has a social night at least once a month. Go and be social.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM

You don't ask for dates outright, you get to know a person over time. Like the OP said on the "timid and shy guys" thread. Actually, the most forward guys in the gyms I've been to have always been the staff.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM

810 posts, read 1,805,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Chit chat and asking for spots are acceptable. Trying to get dates is not.

Like I've said, every gym has a social night at least once a month. Go and be social.
Cwamjn, you didn't answer my question. If I am attracted to women who share in the same athletic activity that I am into, where else if not the gym can I find them? Our gym doesn't do "social nights".

Also, I don't go to the gym to get "dates." I go to workout, but if I can find a person who also shares in that interest alongside me, I would love to meet someone there. I don't do bars and clubs.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Cwamjn, you didn't answer my question. If I am attracted to women who share in the same athletic activity that I am into, where else if not the gym can I find them? Our gym doesn't do "social nights".

Also, I don't go to the gym to get "dates." I go to workout, but if I can find a person who also shares in that interest alongside me, I would love to meet someone there. I don't do bars and clubs.
This is a normal expectation, OP. I've never known a gym to have social nights. Maybe those are the high-end ones that do that.

Sorry you got treated rudely. Well, abusively is more like it. Just blow it off and move on.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,263,657 times
Quote:

Where do you come up with this? If you are serious about training, you don't have time for chitchat. That doesn't make you a hermit; it makes you serious about training. For these people, the gym is not the club.

Haven't you heard of women who say that their workout time is the only time that they have for themselves? What's wrong with zoning out to focus on a goal? What's wrong with a stressed out office worker letting off steam before they go home to their families? What's sad about that?

What is the basis for the assumptions that you have made?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,371,847 times
Some people view the gym as a sort of club (and some gyms encourage that).
Some people view the gym as a boot camp (and some gyms encourage that).

Move on, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships