Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM

154 posts, read 155,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Um she's married.
Was totally joking with her lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
So, when you are perusing rump roast, and a handsome, charming guy like myself approaches with confidence, smiles and says "hi, I noticed that youre very attractive and wanted to come over and introduce myself" would you really find it so annoying?
I don't know that I'd find it annoying, but I would find it weird. Maybe I'm not the kind of woman who enjoys ass-kissing from strangers, but someone I don't know telling me he thinks I'm pretty does nothing for me. If he asked me about how to pick a good pineapple or if I knew where the peanut butter is, that seems a little less like he's prowling the aisles.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
If she's buying whipped cream, a box of condoms, ky, and some novelty handcuffs, I'd probably take notice...

Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I mean, you don't mind some guy hitting on you when your looking for the 2%...? Ok, so I'll play along. How would you approach someone in a grocery store? How could you even possibly transition the conversation from whatever it is you are talking about in a grocery store, to asking for the digits?
Whipper, I am not a guy, so I come to this question from the opposite angle, and yes I've had many charming conversations with guys in grocery stores and book stores, but none of them have asked me for my phone number -- that would've been gauche. Instead, we just talked about something that sparked in our minds. Chatted for a few minutes, and then said something like: "Maybe I will see you the next time I am ...." (Fill in the blank with whatever topic was being discussed -- an event, location, etc.) And the thing was that I actually did end up seeing a few of them, and we did end up talking again. And we did end up going out.

With me, at least, too many guys want to go directly from point A to Z in a straight, quick line. I personally have always enjoyed a meandering journey where we get to know who each other are, and figure out just how compatible we are, before zooming into something I could later regret.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
So, when you are perusing rump roast, and a handsome, charming guy like myself approaches with confidence, smiles and says "hi, I noticed that youre very attractive and wanted to come over and introduce myself" would you really find it so annoying? Because based on RL experiences, most women smile back and either reject me or continue to flirt with me. However almost in all instances, they seem flattered and genuinly enjoy the interaction. And how exactly do you get invited to a party when you are new in town and have no family or friends?
If your sole reason for asking me out is based entirely on how I LOOK, then no...not interested.

If you, as a handsome, charming man, came up and said, "Hi!" to me at the grocery store, I would smile back and say, "Hello! How are you?!" in a cheerful manner. Because this is Texas, and we talk to everyone and are polite and strangers talking to strangers is not a weird thing.
(NOTE: TALKING...not asking out) We wave to people on the street, we smile at people walking their dogs, we chit chat with the other guy waiting for their car at the dealership.

Enjoy the interaction? How do you know? Any reasonably polite, well-bred person will NEVER let you know that they are LOATHING the interaction. The courteous, kind, and polite thing to do is always put others around you at ease. So just because these women aren't recoiling in horror, don't assume they are ENJOYING the interaction.

Are you serious about the party thing? Omg. There are tons of parties you don't have to know people to go to. I always kind of thought that was the point of parties. So you could hang with friends but also meet new people.

My friend's apartment complex (full of young professional singles) throws holiday and summer pool parties all the time. I have been to one of those. It was FULL of hot people. I didn't know a single person there, and yet I talked to plenty of them.

My neighborhood association throws Labor Day picnic, 4th of July parade...people go and interact and meet new people.

There are organizations where people play soccer or softball or read books or cooking classes, etc, etc, etc...my brother's friend met his wife at a marathon running practice club.

When I did my motorcycle safety class, our class really bonded! So then we all would hang out together! With our instructor (a really cool, hot shot vice cop). And we would have dinner together, go for long rides in the hill country together, drink together...whatever!

So please...spare me with the "der...how do I meet people if I don't accost random strangers" bit. There are lots of ways to let it happen naturally.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;24905546]
Quote:

What an idiot he must've been. You don't have a pic up on your profile. I would have liked to have seen how "mildly" attractive you are....lol. Oh well.

Oh hell no. I don't know if you saw my "shy guy" thread but I'm a shy guy and something like that would be too much for me right now, even though I'm trying to work on not being so reserved. Even if I wasn't shy, I still think trying to pick someone up in a grocery store is kinda desperate and thus lame.... so I wouldn't do it anyway.
Actually he wasn't that bad, I mean he wasn't rude or anything. And I want correct something, after a good night's sleep, I remember it wasn't 'mildly' or 'slightly' it was "reasonably attractive." Either way I didn't like the sound of that, LOL. No, I do not have a picture on my profile b/c I don't see the point of doing so.

I remember your 'shy guy' thread now and if you're not nervous enough to go up to women in places like that, I like what Ascension said in post #56, it sounds much better then what that guy said to me. I guess you could try places like a public park or whatever, maybe in the mall, but standing around a grocery store looking at women is lame, IMO.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's a lot easier for the women. Most women, from my experience, can go up to ten guys, flirt with them, whatever, and get at least 8 numbers out of the ten. Even mediocre looking women.

8 numbers? Yea right. Sorry but I disagree with this.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
We should test this out.

I am actually going to the grocery store right now.
Of course, I just worked out. In the past, this has actually worked in my favor.

I'll report back.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It's a pipe dream that guys like to pull out to prove how difficult they have it. Just like with asking out women, a random sampling of men are not going to be available or interested in every woman that comes up to them.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We should test this out.

I am actually going to the grocery store right now.
Of course, I just worked out. In the past, this has actually worked in my favor.

I'll report back.

well good if this has worked in your favor in the past, that's great. I have tried it and it hasn't, which is why I said it's not accurate that just any 'ol' woman can get numbers from men,' like they are somehow less picky b/c the woman is asking them. Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships