Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When to call after getting a number?
Next Day 7 22.58%
2nd Day 4 12.90%
3+ days 3 9.68%
When you want to 16 51.61%
Waiting is stupid and has never affected the outcome of getting a date 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,918 times

Advertisements

Ok so I see this come up alot and I thought it deserved its own thread so here it goes. i'm hoping to get responses from both men and women here.

How long after meeting someone should you wait to call them??

Also please give reasons for your vote, as in "I wait til the second day because I don't want to seem over-eager"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
You call whenever you feel like calling. It could be the next day or a week after, should make zero difference. Ive always done this and never given it a second thought. If the person on the receiving end, will hold it against me because they follow some stupid useless rule, then theyre saving me time and life is short as it is.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
I picked "when you want to". I think if I asked for a guy's number and he gave it to me, showing interest on both of our sides, waiting for the sake of some imagined timeframe so as not to appear either too eager or too laid back, is just silly.

If you are interested in someone, show it, by calling and making plans. Even better, when you get the number, right while they're still in front of you, set a day and time to call and discuss plans for your date. Don't be vague and say "great, I'll call you sometime this week". Get to know them through verbal conversation because texting is not a substitute or alternative to a converation, it's the lazy person's way out. Effort is required.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Not single, but if I were, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of dating someone who played games.

Call in a timely manner, when you have the opportunity without disruption. Waiting some pre-determined number of days is juvenile.

If someone asked for my number and I didn't hear from them in a day or two, I wouldn't want to hear from them period. Someone with a schedule so busy that they can't find 5 minutes to call isn't someone who I'd be interested in dating.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Not single, but if I were, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of dating someone who played games.

Call in a timely manner, when you have the opportunity without disruption. Waiting some pre-determined number of days is juvenile.

If someone asked for my number and I didn't hear from them in a day or two, I wouldn't want to hear from them period. Someone with a schedule so busy that they can't find 5 minutes to call isn't someone who I'd be interested in dating.
You contradict yourself in your post. So, which is it, call when you have the opportunity or within the first two days? just saying

Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I used to wonder this myself, then I realized that it just doesn't matter. A person who is in to you will be happy you called quickly and will always want to hear from you. If they are not interested, it's not going to make an ounce of difference whether you wait or call right away. If you have a specific reason to wait, like if you're busy etc etc, then be all means don't worry about it, but don't pull the "I don't want to look desperate" and wait 3 full days or whatever. People see through it anyways.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I used to wonder this myself, then I realized that it just doesn't matter. A person who is in to you will be happy you called quickly and will always want to hear from you. If they are not interested, it's not going to make an ounce of difference whether you wait or call right away. If you have a specific reason to wait, like if you're busy etc etc, then be all means don't worry about it, but don't pull the "I don't want to look desperate" and wait 3 full days or whatever. People see through it anyways.
Yes exactly. And this flip side of this is true as well. If someone sees you as desperate or is annoyed by you calling them, then it's because they don't like you all that much already. If they like you a lot already, then they will be happy to hear from you whenever you call.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
The same night wasn't an option?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I agree 100%. If I really like someone and they call me the next day I'll be happy because I'm excited to hear from them. There aren't any set rules when it comes to this, and if you wait too long to call you may lose your chance. Especially with online dating when there are so many other options.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
What is there to "debate." I suppose you call when you have a free minute. That day or the next, etc. If they give you the number obviously they want you to call, right? Seriously, one reason I am glad I'm not dating is b/c I don't understand all these stupid little games people are expected to know how to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships