Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times

Advertisements

Brian Regan-Hooked On Phonix - YouTube

Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I LOVE that you are back-peddling now. You name the thread "Women and poor grammar," then you go on to say that the thread is NOT about women and poor grammar, however, you have noticed that "a certain percentage of women . . . have horrible grammar."

So, which is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No this thread is not about women having bad grammar, but since I've signed up for OKC and POF I have noticed there is a certain % of women who have horrible grammar. I don't mean to say saying things like "ur" "u" and that kind of stuff, I'm talking complete errors in verb conjugation, wrong verbs, horrible tenses etc etc... I just find it strange to see this. I didn't see it in my current state, but I did notice it in Kansas.

This is really beyond me, I don't understand how anyone whose native language is English can make such errors. Their messages and text literally looked like it was an African scam. Has anybody come across this?

Oh, this isn't a thread about women having bad grammar but obviously I'm not talking to dudes on those websites besides gay guys that decide to send me messages. Women are more than welcome to add to the thread if you've seen it also!

This isn't about abbreviations or "talkin lyk dis", I'm talking a clear non-understanding of English.

Seriously? Now please, shut up and stop worrying about whether or not I use a comma instead of a semi colon, or don't use a coordinator.

I don't know what your issue is when I stated it TWICE. You're so worried about nit picking a run on that you forgot to even read. What can ya do though, at least you can feel like you're cool for once in your life

Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
Why were you looking at women in Kansas when you're in Michigan? Bored? Lol

620 posts, read 1,300,224 times
I blame Micosoft Word, Google Chrome, and just about any major technological advance that auto-corrects your grammar or spelling for you. I had old school professors in undergrad. I had one prof who would deduct points if you used "impact" as a verb, and another prof highlighted all of the grammatical errors on a classmate's paper and then ended with - "do you have a learning disability or do you just lack basic English comprehension?". And they were both history professors.

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, could clarify for us, please, what the thread is about if it's not about women and bad grammar?

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Lmao!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm a recovering English major and work as an editor. I notice EVERY error in a personal ad. But really? I don't care about that as long as the guy is expressing himself clearly. The ex-biker I dated could not spell to save his life: His typos were epic, and playing Scrabble with him was, well, rather epic. My best friend still cracks up over the day he tried to spell "phallus" as "fallis." However, he had a vast vocabulary and a genius-level IQ. Being with him taught me to look at the thoughts expressed, not the punctuation or even necessarily the grammar.

Also, I'm from Jersey - not a place known for its impeccable language. Good lord, my favorite auntie uses the word "youse" on a regular basis. And my grammar dives off a cliff when I'm not working. It's just what happens when I relax.

However, if these chicks aren't even making sense, then I think you have every right to just pass them by. Don't you teach English for a living?

I'm not talking about your vs you're. I'm not talking about bad spelling or or even bad punctuation. I'm talking about English that literally looks like it is not their first language.

I thought I was pretty clear that I was not talking about common errors people...

Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, could clarify for us, please, what the thread is about if it's not about women and bad grammar?
I know right? I mean I'm right here in pa.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Ain't no thang, burgler.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Its about ALL people and bad grammar. I said obviously I'm not going to talk about the guys I meet on POF because I don't meet guys!

I said women are more than welcome to join in if they see this too.

Good lord, you're all so paranoid about guys bashing all women, even when it's not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships