Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The best option is:
Yes, fine to say it. 16 26.23%
It depends, every date is different. 22 36.07%
No, she will think you're coming on too strong. 23 37.70%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,882,970 times

Advertisements

I think "beautiful" would be a better word to use... it sounds better and even more mature. sexy, bad, hot or anything like that is too typical of a male. I stopped using those words to compliment women in my teen years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
You know, come to think of it, "I just wanted to say that you are sexy and I am attracted to you" does sound kinda weird, especially if it's phrased that way, but there are a plethora of ways in which some men can deliver a "You're sexy" phrase without coming across as a creep, EVEN on a first date.
"Wow" and "oh my" seem to work ok. Using my sense of humor, I could make a joke (that wasn't really a joke) about enjoying the view behind her. The same about her build. I notice the face, teeth, hair and eyes right off the bat as well. Start there and keep going. For the record, I've never had a woman object to flattery and falling over yourself because of her and her looks. They might object if you took them out and sat there like a nerd with duct tape over your mouth the whole night. "What's this guys problem?" He has no personality and I wonder if he can get it up because he never even looked.....NOT ONCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,062,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Compliments are traditional, are they not?

But tell a woman she's sexy on the first date, and she's just gonna feel like you want to get in bed with her and that's all. "I had a great time, and I find you very attractive" is a better message.
I agree. I don't know too many women who want to feel like the next conquest, but that's exactly what you are going to make her feel like by saying that.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Again, this isn't a situation of saying it a certain way, IMO, I don't think it needs to be said at all on a first date. Just doesn't make any sense to say something like that, unnecessarily. But obviously, he can try what he wants.
WHY? So informing a woman I am attracted to her on date 1 labels me some creep?

In what numerical order of dates may I express such creepy thoughts?

If I had one hand down my pants and one striped tubesock on the other as I uttered the phrase "You are Sexy; I am attracted to youuuuuu! Sure; this would be creepy!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,727,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post

If I had one hand down my pants and one striped tubesock on the other as I uttered the phrase "You are Sexy; I am attracted to youuuuuu! Sure; this would be creepy!

I didn't say it makes you a creep, I think someone else said that. I said, it makes you weird and inappropriate.

Honestly, if this is what can be expected nowadays from guys on a first date, I must live in an alternate universe. Because in my world, you would just go on the date and talk to the person like you had some sense. The end. There's no reason to be telling her how 'sexy' she is and 'I'm attracted to you' on a first date. It is coming on too strong, for a woman like me. Maybe a different type of woman that would be okay. There is no magical numerical number of dates, but the first one and even the second this person is basically a stranger to you, why even take it there?

And why is it always about "when" with men? when can get I from point A to B? They care more about the 'when' element then they do about presenting themselves decently in the first place.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I think "beautiful" would be a better word to use... it sounds better and even more mature. sexy, bad, hot or anything like that is too typical of a male. I stopped using those words to compliment women in my teen years.
At least one guy gets it! He matured beyond his teen years! Give him a cigar!

Now, it's a slightly different question as to how women would feel about guys getting gushy in general on the first date. We could start another thread on how women would feel about being told they're beautiful on the first date, or fascinating, or whatever.

P.S. Yeah, I agree with Doll Eyes on her last post. And on all the other ones, too.

Like she or someone else said, it's obvious you're attracted to the woman, or you wouldn't be on a first date. You don't need to state the obvious on an occasion the purpose of which is to get to know your date as a person (ding ding ding: new concept: woman as person vs. woman as ambulatory collection of body parts and pretty face). The first date is to find out about her interests and her personality to see if there are any common interests and any compatibility. For ex., to go back to an example I posted on another thread, what if your beauty turns out to have a bad case of Jerry Springer mouth? What if you fawned all over her, told her she was beautiful, and then suddenly her speech turns out to be liberally peppered with foul language, which she takes to be perfectly normal? Too late to de-fawn, and take back your compliments. What would you do then?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
not particularly brilliant because women have heard this all before. if she liked him and he didn't say things like that he would have the ball in his court since she would then wonder if he liked her

Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:

Obviously, many of us think the words "sexy" and "attractive" mean different things... Idk, maybe because they do. And we also understand that anything regarding sex (and yes, calling a woman "sexy" is a hint at the desire you have to have sex with them) is best saved until after you've gotten to know the person better. Saying "I'm attracted to you" is... well, just odd. I mean, you're on a date with her; I think she knows you find her attractive.

"You look really nice" is about the best you can do, without risking either sounding lame or creepy... or both. I think saying "You look sexy" would make a man sound lame and creepy all at once, personally.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,686 times
Quote:

I know right? Guys told strange women back in the 30's "you have more curves than the railroad tracks". The Three Stooges That was even used to be funny and make people laugh. It sure wasn't CrEePy!!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
A visitor I was showing around town said to a friend of mine, when we met for lunch, "That's a very flattering dress you have on, you have good taste", or something like that. She was eating out of his hand instantly. I've never seen anything like it. He really knew what to say to women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships