Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 24,141 times

Advertisements

According to a thread going around here, women discriminate men based on their accent. For example, certain accents are given the tag of being sexy while others are looked down upon and ridiculed, all done according to what the media wants to show you. I thought that as long as the communication is clear, a person's accent was never a deal breaker(mind you I am not including those with a limited grasp of the knowledge here).

Just wanted to see what the women here would think. Btw, I am an Indian immigrant to US that came here 7 years ago, I speak with a fairly neutral accent and a lot of them commended me on my command of English and the accent I speak with, however I would never disown my identity and roots by speaking in American English, since I believe my heritage goes beyond my skin color. So how many of you would totally discount a person just based on his accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Look, choosing not to go out with you is not "discrimination."

Your accent is a physical trait, just like eye color or height.

I'm sure you have your personal physical preferences for women you'd like to date.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
so which are the best accents to have, and which the worst when trying to pull a hot chick?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Look, choosing not to go out with you is not "discrimination."

Your accent is a physical trait, just like eye color or height.

I'm sure you have your personal physical preferences for women you'd like to date.
It's more of a cultural trait than a physical trait. That's different from having a preference for eye color or height since they are purely physical or racial traits(that come with the race, e.g.,someone having blue eyes).

I have physical preferences for women I would like to date but I wouldn't discriminate against a whole bunch of women just based on their accent, I guess I am different from your typical American though who does that.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Ok I know I posted on that thread.

And I think yes there is sterotyping.

And personal preference involved.

727 posts, read 1,534,148 times
I would be curious to know which ones turn women off. I still have a Michigan accent, even though I moved away from Detroit almost 20 years ago.

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
I'm from the South, so I understand how an accent can lead others to misjudge you.

I view an accent as an observable characteristic, though, like hair color, that can be modified. I personally think the Australian accent is quite grating and would not enjoy hearing it all the time. It doesn't mean I think all Australians are (fill in negative adjective here), but because of that, I did not date any Australians for a long period.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
I would be curious to know which ones turn women off. I still have a Michigan accent, even though I moved away from Detroit almost 20 years ago.
I have an Indian American mixed accent and met a woman in a sports bar in Boston. She said she loved the Indian accent and thought my accent was cute, but had an extreme disdain for the Texan accent. She was an American from the New England region.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambrownsahib View Post
It's more of a cultural trait than a physical trait. That's different from having a preference for eye color or height since they are purely physical or racial traits(that come with the race, e.g.,someone having blue eyes).

I have physical preferences for women I would like to date but I wouldn't discriminate against a whole bunch of women just based on their accent, I guess I am different from your typical American though who does that.
It's not really different. Some people just respond to different sorts of sensory experiences. For someone who's very responsive to auditory stimuli, accents may be a big deal. I don't really have that much sensitivity, so accents really don't trigger much for me. Though sometimes midwestern accents grate a bit. And I am convinced that my one buddy's British accent allows him to get away with murder.

But not for nothing, this crap about "your typical American" and accents is pretty rich given that you came here from a country where skin-bleaching is a major industry. Every culture has its flaws, hypocrisies, bigotries, whatever.

Has India?s Skin-Lightening Obsession Reached the Final Frontier? – News Watch

Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It's not really different. Some people just respond to different sorts of sensory experiences. For someone who's very responsive to auditory stimuli, accents may be a big deal. I don't really have that much sensitivity, so accents really don't trigger much for me. Though sometimes midwestern accents grate a bit. And I am convinced that my one buddy's British accent allows him to get away with murder.

But not for nothing, this crap about "your typical American" and accents is pretty rich given that you came here from a country where skin-bleaching is a major industry. Every culture has its flaws, hypocrisies, bigotries, whatever.

[url=/2012/04/12/has-indias-skin-lightening-obsession-reached-the-final-frontier/]Has India?s Skin-Lightening Obsession Reached the Final Frontier? – News Watch[/url]
How different is that from your society's obsession with tanning? For the record however, I have never bleached my skin and I have a fairly dark skin complexion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships