Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:54 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,190,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't cold approach women

FACT: Men are expected to initiate in all phases of the dating process. IMO, men who are hesitant or afraid of initiating contact with women will not get very far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,490 times
I used to call the free local party lines when I was a young teenager

It was fun to actually get to know the person first! You describe yourself, see if you were compatible, build chemistry over the phone and then eventually meet. Sometimes we would send pictures through regular mail but there was excitement and suspense of not knowing exactly how the person looked until you met.

Some I were not attracted to but we still remained friends. Other times I lucked out and the girl was HOT!

Dating sites mainly concentrate on looks. Pictures don't always capture a person's attractiveness which goes beyond physical looks and status.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
He probably was born in 1987 or after and have no idea what it is
Well, I am a 'she' and I suppose I was married during that time. I was born in 1973 and I was with my ex husband from 1990 until 2007.

Soooo, I never needed those services, and I don't recall them. I did, however use online dating in 2008, then again in 2011. I think it would be much better than telephone dating.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I used to call the free local party lines when I was a young teenager

It was fun to actually get to know the person first! You describe yourself, see if you were compatible, build chemistry over the phone and then eventually meet. Sometimes we would send pictures through regular mail but there was excitement and suspense of not knowing exactly how the person looked until you met.

Some I were not attracted to but we still remained friends. Other times I lucked out and the girl was HOT!

Dating sites mainly concentrate on looks. Pictures don't always capture a person's attractiveness which goes beyond physical looks and status.
For me, it was just about the same as online dating. I did know what the person looked like, but who knows when the picture was from. Then we would email one another back and fourth, and finally talk on the phone...

Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Then we would email one another back and fourth, and finally talk on the phone...
I HATE emailing back and forth and it's totally different. I got to see the person on the inside first. The looks came after. There were times I got to meet some great people that ordinarily I would of never got the chance to meet because of how we judge people on looks.

It could be someone you would never think you would be compatible with but because you were open minded enough to allow yourself to get to know someone first and not base it off physical attraction, you got to know the person's heart. I'm not saying that looks don't matter but people today are extremely shallow.

I met this punk/goth girl and never thought I'd date someone like her. We dated for awhile and still keep in touch after 20 years.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,693 times
Problem was, the girls rarely looked anything remotely close to the models they featured on the 2:00AM commercials.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I HATE emailing back and forth and it's totally different. I got to see the person on the inside first. The looks came after. There were times I got to meet some great people that ordinarily I would of never got the chance to meet because of how we judge people on looks.

It could be someone you would never think you would be compatible with but because you were open minded enough to allow yourself to get to know someone first and not base it off physical attraction, you got to know the person's heart. I'm not saying that looks don't matter but people today are extremely shallow.

I met this punk/goth girl and never thought I'd date someone like her. We dated for awhile and still keep in touch after 20 years.
Hi there. If you have ever read any of my threads or posts, you would know that basically, that is what happened with me. I chose a man who was not my type, looks-wise, etc and just got to know who he was. Messaging back and fourth, emailing, and texting. I found that he was a wonderful man and then we started talking on the phone as well.

We had nothing to do with physical attraction as he was not my type at all. We finally met, and here we are. He is the best thing to have ever happened to me and when I sit here across from him, he is the most beautiful thing in my life. I would not change a thing.

Also, I am the furthest thing from shallow there could be. I know that there are wonderful people hiding behind some of those people out there who may not be the most handsome or beautiful to other peoples standards.

I got to know his heart first.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:36 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
What is this "telephone" you speak of? Are these the devices that used to plug into the wall?

Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
Quote:
I'm so sick of Online Dating right now because a woman wants you to talk to her online for a month before giving you her phone number. Makes no sense at all especially when it's confirmed that there is a mutual attraction. If we both see that we are attracted then what is the wait? Why no transition to the phone and start getting to know each other so we can work toward meeting.

Back in 2001 when you was on a telephone dating service, you only heard voice ads and then exchanged numbers and met face to face. And not seeing what someone looked like wasn't a big deal because if a female asked me these questions I knew right away she was attractive

do you have all your teeth
what do females compliment you on the most
what do u feel is your best feature.

Now you just run into a bunch of grown woman who is scared to transition to the phone stage because for some reason they think a man's "di,,,k" is coming to come through the phone and tickle their neck
This actually made me laugh.

Who actually telephone dated?? Are you referring to singles lines where you can just talk to someone when you're lonely?

Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
This actually made me laugh.

Who actually telephone dated?? Are you referring to singles lines where you can just talk to someone when you're lonely?
sex lines.

Where you can just call the girl and do sexy talk to her and pay 20 bucks a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships