Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,382,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
What approx. % of the opposite sex in your dating pool are you physically attracted to enough to have a relationship with? (whether you are seeking one or not)
I could see myself becoming physically attracted to about 80% of the women I see who are my age.

But then, you factor in personality, moral standards and reasoning, and other characteristics important to me before I try to get to "first base"... and the number's more like 20%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,077,705 times
You should have made it into a poll. Very few women are going to answer if you don't.

FYI, this has been done before...

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...n-11-16-a.html

Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,322,725 times
If I were dating, and doubt that will happen with anyone other than my wife, still if that were the case here is what I would want:

1: Between 4' 6" and 5' 3" tall (or short)

2: Long hair, at least past the shoulders.

3: No tattoos, body art, piercings other than in the ear.

4: Non smoker, non drug user

5: 98 to 120 lbs range

6: Not afraid to wear a dress or skirt and yes I like them short or at least above the knee.

7: Loves to spend time on the dance floor and knows how to dance.

8: 25 to 45 age range

9: She owns and uses a bike, running shoes, and/or gym membership and is active

10: Laughs at my jokes.

That is about it in the want list. I would say that it is a small percentage of women that would make the grade. At the hospital where I work and we have close to 2,000 employees with a majority of them being women (Lets say 70% of the employees are women) (Could be more, I would have to count them all to be sure.) (LOL) Saying all that along with the comentary, I would say that less than 20 women at the hospital would get asked to the dance. With a 1,400 member population of women to choose from, if infact only 70% of the employees are women, then that is a tad over 1% of the population within the sample survey. Still how many of those women would say yes to a suddenly single me? That seems to be a more important question. Also I would need to know how many people are in fact available to ask out. Still if we were to open the range to women that live within a reasonable dating area the available women in the survey jumps to 157,000 women. Of the women in the area, 61,858 of them are single or divorced. Of that number 32,166 have finished high school and are at least 18 years of age. With a 1% range from my survey of hospital employees I would say that the area probably has a good chance of having 322 women that would meet my criteria.

Now all I need to do is become suddenly single and hope that at least a few of those women would want to date me. That or just stick with my current wife who is all those things and more.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,392,149 times
I always tell my husband he better never leave me (whether it's due to death or for a younger, newer model ) because I feel like there's nothing out there! When we go out to lounges/clubs, I feel like there's some decent looking women for the men, but the men are 'blah.'

I just feel like I never notice men. Or maybe I make it a point not to notice them. (Except for this one bouncer at the restaurant/lounge we frequent. Ok...so there's one guy!!!!! But I don't think he would qualify as to be in my dating pool. I think I may have a few years on him. )

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,363,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I always tell my husband he better never leave me (whether it's due to death or for a younger, newer model ) because I feel like there's nothing out there! When we go out to lounges/clubs, I feel like there's some decent looking women for the men, but the men are 'blah.'

I just feel like I never notice men. Or maybe I make it a point not to notice them. (Except for this one bouncer at the restaurant/lounge we frequent. Ok...so there's one guy!!!!! But I don't think he would qualify as to be in my dating pool. I think I may have a few years on him. )
You are pretty spot on. I am attracted to about 1% of the male population. Attraction is crucial for long-term maintenance. I cannot say I haven't tried to make it less of a factor, but in the end, if I am having trouble kissing a guy due to lack of attraction, then I will have trouble with the rest.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,783,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

You don't count because you have your radar put away. When I brought mine back out after 23 years of marriage I felt like a kid in a candy shop at first and it's fun to think that now I can go out with someone if I want to.

To answer the OP, let's see--I'll use my dance group as an example and I will include married men as possibilities, since we're talking about attraction here b/c believe me, irl, I don't consider them as such. There are about 60 men altogether who are about my age, and maybe 5-7 that I'm attracted to enough to go out with. When I say attracted though, I don't necessarily mean hot looking as I mean someone who has that combination of personality, spark, and the kind of looks that i'm attracted to. However, in the 1-1/2 years that I've been going, I haven't dated anyone from there, b/c some of those men are married, one is trying to get back with his ex-wife, some men won't date w/in the group, and some are just not interested in me. So, roughly 10% I guess.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,983,493 times
I currently live in the NJ/NYC area and I've been talking to my ex on & off. I really don't know how to meet anyone and most people seem unapproachable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
No knock on women as I'm sure it's not much different with men, but over half of women in 20's and 30's are overweight. Add those who don't have cute faces and you're talking about maybe 20-25%?
Sheesh. Where do you live??

Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 AM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
What approx. % of the opposite sex in your dating pool are you physically attracted to enough to have a relationship with? (whether you are seeking one or not)

One common theme on this forum, is without enough physical attraction a relationship is not feasible and it won't get past first base.
For me I'd say 10-15% of the female popultion in my dating pool in my home City. Not that I'm looking. Low huh?
They say one in 100 will be enough of a match to result in some dating. Whether or not that involves physical attraction or other factors depends on the individuals.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
No knock on women as I'm sure it's not much different with men, but over half of women in 20's and 30's are overweight. Add those who don't have cute faces and you're talking about maybe 20-25%?
I don't know what generates this recently recurring theme here that American women are fat. People who hold this view should identify their home state. This is far from the norm. Look on any college campus.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,304,947 times
I'd say a reasonable number if you factor out those who are either gravitationally challenged or are stricken with BPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships