Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
The first defense of someone who is over-sensitive is to call someone abusers and bullies despite the fact they're the only ones offended. You probably stand for political correctness too.

How do you know they started a profile to reach out to someone? Most women don't even write initial emails to men. Many women create profiles just to look and don't talk to anyone. Again, your "credit" is yours to give, but I won't give anyone mine for using the internet.

And some people have a hard time coming up with original stuff in their profiles Ummm, yeah? I thought I just covered that with my first post.

And again, what's with the male vs female hate going on here? I said nothing about men vs women profiles. I'm sure men's are worse, they're typically bad writers in my opinion. I just didn't comment on male profiles because I'm a male and I'm not gay.

Why are you trying to start a fight over nothing? I'm bored this week too but c'mon, I'm not going to get into the immature fight that you so badly desire.
I'm not trying to start a fight. I made the rather mild observation that I thought your humor was cruel. My opinion, I admit. But I just didn't find it as funny as you think it is, and I love satire and humor. Judd Apatow and David Sedaris are my personal heroes. It didn't offend me, but I thought you were being harsh on people who simply aren't good at putting together online personal profiles. I've met absolute douchebags with wonderful and witty profiles that make it seem like rainbows shoot out their asses. And I've met some very nice guys with spectacularly "meh" profiles. Profiles don't have much correlation with character once you weed out the obvious red flags.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt in these kinds of scenarios. Barring blatant idiocy - such as the mentioned Marilyn Monroe quote - that is.

And I'm not trying to start a gender war. As you don't have any idea what other men put in their profiles, I have no idea what other women put in their profiles. But, yes, of the male profiles I've seen, some have been horrific. Like the one that starts out "I'm not interested in liars, whores or cheaters..."

Your reactions are kind of cracking me up though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:52 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,023 times
Quote:
I'm sure there are many male profiles that are the same way....I just don't look at those....I'm into girls.

It comes off cruel to you because you're sensitive and you don't have a sense of humor. That's your opinion, but I know plenty of people that appreciate my humor.

Other points:

- I'm not giving someone credit for using the internet. It takes longer to put up a facebook profile than it does a dating profile.

- If they're really trying their best, why are their profiles sooooo short? I would think trying your best would be to actually say something about yourself that makes you unique and interesting. At the very least they could attempt to say something that might lead to a conversation starter.

- I see a lot of worse answers and profiles as well, those are just things I see WAY TOO MUCH OF and it's sickening to the point I stop reading if I start seeing it.

Sure, but who is talking about negative profiles here? I didn't bring that up. That's a whole different discussion.
I thought it was funny. I don't think it was unreasonably cruel, it's pretty common in comedy to poke fun at people. The OP isn't calling out anyone specific.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
LOL

I have a gamer shirt on in my profile picture. Enough said.

*bonus points if anyone can actually figure out what it is*

Yes this was pretty funny.

I also like when they are over 40, never been married and put down "I'm now looking to settle down".

To me this means "I've been wh*ring myself around my whole life and/or never been in a serious relationship and since all of my friends are now married, it's getting kind of lonely out here"
I can't tell what it is but right now my shirt says, "Talk nerdy to me." and it has a picture of a newrd, the candy.

I can't even remember what my sweeties profile said. It was really short and sweet and did not really stand out as compared to many of the others I had read.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:07 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,296,653 times
Quote:
I'm bored at work today, so I'm going to have some fun with the cliche things that half the women in the world put on their dating profile:

"What is your favorite food? Anything, I'll eat anything." (How about a bowl of cockroaches?)

"Favorite music: I listen to everything, seriously everything, I have a very ECLECTIC TASTE" (How about hardcore black death metal? Is that eclectic enough for you?)

"Favorite movies: I love movies, love them all" (you love ALL of them? really?)

"On a typical friday night what do you like to do? I like to hang out, go out, go to restaurants, fun places....I'm up for anything" (Up for anything huh, how about swimming in shark infested waters? I hear that's pretty fun this time of year, are you UP for that?)

"I'm looking for someone to explore the city with" (It's a big city, and if you've been all over the northside then you'd explored as much as you need to see, otherwise you may want to carry a firearm or at least a can of mace. Needless to say I'm not exploring streets, sidewalks, and concrete buildings with you, they have them in my neighborhood I can just look at those.)

"I love to laugh" (I hate laughing, I actually frown when I laugh)

"I live life to the fullest" (I actually only try to get half out of my life, you know leave some room when I die to say "aww man I never got to....")

"I'm looking for someone who is ____, _____, AND ATTRACTIVE" (oops, not me, I don't think I'm attractive, so I guess I don't fit her list of criteria. I'll just rule myself out....or I'll just send an email anyway because it costs me nothing).

"I'm kind of a quirky girl" (Why would someone ever admit that?)

"I'm TOTALLY into nerds, I really want to date a nerd" (No you don't, you're just saying that to sound different, but by even saying this which you think is different, you're actually being very non-different.)

"If you're a republican then we're not a good fit." (I'm not a republican, but this statement makes me think we're not a good fit anyway. I too look for ways to eliminate over half my dating pool with one stupid comment, but I have yet to find something more effective than this one.)

"I'd much rather go to a hole in the wall bar than a dance club" (You and everyone else. Which explains the insane amount of hole in the wall bars in the city and only a dozen dance clubs in this city).

"You should message me if: Umm, how about DON'T message me if..." (How about don't worry about it.)

"I spend a lot of time thinking about: The future, what I'm going to do next" (Who doesn't? I really hope you think about that once in a while, pretty sure no one can function without thinking at least 1 minute into the future.)

"I'm not looking to just hook up" (Something tells me you're sick of hooking up, which means you probably hooked up a lot recently.....skank.)

"On a typical friday night I am: Usually out with friends or relaxing on the couch" (I'm usually just sitting or standing....sometimes lying down.)

"I like to discuss deep subjects, even politics, I can handle myself in a good debate" (Until I bring up abortion, then you'll get emotionally invested in the conversation and if I don't agree with you you'll get angry with me and probably never go out with me again. I'll probably just avoid discussing anything deep with you on the first few dates.)

"Body Type: Curvy" (Out of shape and if not considered fat today, you will be in a couple years.)

"I hate this part about describing myself" (I have a hard time thinking of ways to lie too, I think it's something called a CONSCIENCE that gets in the way which makes it so difficult. That and if I go out with you a few times I'll probably figure out you lied.)

You forgot this one: "Single, and have a feeling I am going to stay that way!"

Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Body type: Average -- Huge

Headshot only: Better ask for a picture!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
LOL

I have a gamer shirt on in my profile picture. Enough said.

*bonus points if anyone can actually figure out what it is*

Yes this was pretty funny.

I also like when they are over 40, never been married and put down "I'm now looking to settle down".

To me this means "I've been wh*ring myself around my whole life and/or never been in a serious relationship and since all of my friends are now married, it's getting kind of lonely out here"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I can't tell what it is but right now my shirt says, "Talk nerdy to me." and it has a picture of a newrd, the candy.

I can't even remember what my sweeties profile said. It was really short and sweet and did not really stand out as compared to many of the others I had read.

My shirt today...three pees in a pod

I found that when I did online dating, the vast majority of men's profiles were sooooo negative. They went on and on about how much they'd be screwed over and how all women are ******* and whores and that maybe, perhaps, you could prove him wrong? Then, inevitably it would go on to say he had no car, lived with his parents and most of his money went to supporting his two children from two different women so don't expect anything 'fancy'.

I really can't wait to leave this area...haha.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,987,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

My shirt today...three pees in a pod

I found that when I did online dating, the vast majority of men's profiles were sooooo negative. They went on and on about how much they'd be screwed over and how all women are ******* and whores and that maybe, perhaps, you could prove him wrong? Then, inevitably it would go on to say he had no car, lived with his parents and most of his money went to supporting his two children from two different women so don't expect anything 'fancy'.

I really can't wait to leave this area...haha.
yeah zelda!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
yeah zelda!
Totally OT, but I found out that Amazon sells original NES controllers with USB hookup so I can play all the old 8bit NES games on an emulator I have on my laptop.... I swear I didn't leave the house for 2 days

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,987,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Totally OT, but I found out that Amazon sells original NES controllers with USB hookup so I can play all the old 8bit NES games on an emulator I have on my laptop.... I swear I didn't leave the house for 2 days
I'm surrounded by gamers, and they won't let me get an emulater lol.

Whenever I feel like playing a game, they just hand me the game, and an original console to play it on and tell me to have fun.

So I have flashbacks to my childhood where I'm playing Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past sitting in front of a TV

Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I'm surrounded by gamers, and they won't let me get an emulater lol.

Whenever I feel like playing a game, they just hand me the game, and an original console to play it on and tell me to have fun.

So I have flashbacks to my childhood where I'm playing Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past sitting in front of a TV
I don't have a whole lot of gamer friends, unfortunately... I'm the odd one of the group. The gamer friends I do have are mostly board gamers or card gamers. I do have a few Halo or CoD player friends (like my brother) but I've never been good at FPS, I play mostly RPGs like Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and Uncharted.

I definitely need more gamer friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships