Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,827,967 times

Advertisements

I recently ended a relationship with my girlfriend of 3 months. In my past threads I mentioned a couple of things that she did that I really didn't appreciate. The break up was after a fight and we talked about it. I told her I wasn't feeling the relationship and that I preferred to be single. I really didn't dislike her and I wish her the best with everything in life. Anyway, she has now basically cut me from her life completely. I just don't understand why? I don't miss her like that, but I don't get why you would burn a bridge with your ex SOLELY because they are your ex. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
She may not be able to have the feelings for you that she does, and accept a platonic based friendship relationship. When you want more than that, even if there were real issues, you just will not be happy being a friend and being around or in contact with the person is just painful. So cutting ties is one way to not suffer that pain, and to start moving on from the relationship.

Basically, not everyone can be friends with someone who they had greater feelings and expectations for.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I recently ended a relationship with my girlfriend of 3 months. In my past threads I mentioned a couple of things that she did that I really didn't appreciate. The break up was after a fight and we talked about it. I told her I wasn't feeling the relationship and that I preferred to be single. I really didn't dislike her and I wish her the best with everything in life. Anyway, she has now basically cut me from her life completely. I just don't understand why? I don't miss her like that, but I don't get why you would burn a bridge with your ex SOLELY because they are your ex. Am I the only one who feels this way?
I usually cut them out for a while, at least till we've both moved on and neither of us feels the need to get back together. After that, it depends on whether we can get along as friends. It's a case-by-case sort of thing for me.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I agree with the other replies so far. I don't really see the need to remain friends with everyone I ever date, especially so briefly. If they don't bring value to my life, why bother.

How do you feel she's burning a bridge?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Yes I do, except for my ex husband because of our children.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:40 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,827,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with the other replies so far. I don't really see the need to remain friends with everyone I ever date, especially so briefly. If they don't bring value to my life, why bother.

How do you feel she's burning a bridge?
Well we had a lot of fun together, we did a lot of fun things. I wouldn't mind remaining friends at least with the idea that a relationship just didn't work out. I am friends with most of my exes and those were much longer relationships that had worse breakups. Anyway, I guess she wants zero contact with me even though I was completely nice to her except not wanting to continue a relationship further.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I think it's whatever works for people really. My favorite ex and I don't maintain a friendship - we have feelings of goodwill to each other and always will. But we don't need to talk to each other - what needed to be said was said. We know how to find each other if there is a need, but we closed the book on each other with a smile.

I'm friends with two exes on facebook. One cut off all contact with me when he was well into a relationship with another woman (I was on good terms with her, so I don't think it was at her instigation), and I think it was because I was doing things he had always said he wanted to do, but can't now that he is in that relationship. I remind him of ambitions and dreams he sacrificed for stability. He's actually gone about cutting off even some of his family members, mainly I think because they are similar "reminders."

Another ex is friends on facebook with me, but we have no contact. He was the one who was adamant that we should remain friends no matter what throughout our relationship, but after I broke up with him he basically didn't want to talk to me again. I genuinely like him on a platonic level, and the door is always open on us being friends in my eyes, but I doubt it will ever happen. Not sure why he hasn't unfriended me.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I think you did the right thing - she definitely put up too many red flags IMO. Anyway, I think it really depends. She may have really really liked you and the idea of being friends is too painful. Or maybe she's just immature. In the past people I've dated for just a couple months I've been on friendly terms with afterwards. A few months really isn't long enough most times to be THAT devasted if things don't work out. She's just reinforcing you did the right thing!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Some I do and some I don't. A few I stayed friends with.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
I usually cut them out for a while, at least till we've both moved on and neither of us feels the need to get back together. After that, it depends on whether we can get along as friends. It's a case-by-case sort of thing for me.
Kinda the same for me. I just need some time to get over the rejection or drama, then since Im not good at grudges and see retaliation as futile, I will be alright, where I dont mind keeping in touch, long as they're happy and not pestering me. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships