Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Guys, are you intimidated to approach a taller woman?
Yes 35 30.43%
No 80 69.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,931,403 times

Advertisements

Are men intimidated by taller women?

Not since god invented step stools and Doris LeBlanc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,362,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
I just wanted to come back to this briefly. I know there's different tastes for all people and you may not care for tall women, but is there any reason to be cruel about it? People who feel the need to be so absolutely nasty and cruel like this about another human being have serious personal issues they need to work out if they feel the need to put people down like this. This response makes me think this guy has had a bad personal experience with a taller woman that has colored his view. It's natural to have a preference. This response isn't natural. Something had to cause this. Tall women have feelings too you know.

See, I don't think the poster had a bad experience with a taller woman. His response makes me question his maturity and intelligence though. Something had to cause it, but it happened before birth. That's the guy's personality and there's no changing it. I'm not disappointed he's not into tall women.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Exactly. Only someone really insecure would take commentary like that seriously. I don't find blatant idiocy to be cruel or offensive...just ridiculous and not worth anything but ignoring.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,552,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Exactly. Only someone really insecure would take commentary like that seriously. I don't find blatant idiocy to be cruel or offensive...just ridiculous and not worth anything but ignoring.
I find that having a witty retort or comeback to someone who makes fun of me for my height is all that's needed. My favorite is 'Are you a jockey?' whenever a guy mentioned my height in a derogatory manner or infers that I play basketball.

If they say something nicely, it's no big deal, but when they get mean about it, I can get just as mean back

Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM

855 posts, read 1,379,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I find that having a witty retort or comeback to someone who makes fun of me for my height is all that's needed. My favorite is 'Are you a jockey?' whenever a guy mentioned my height in a derogatory manner or infers that I play basketball.

If they say something nicely, it's no big deal, but when they get mean about it, I can get just as mean back
JetJockey, the more I read your posts, the more I think about crossin' your path in this lifetime and wrappin' my arms around you!!! Hugs are an amazing remedy!!! Seriously, I think people respond to posts based on their moods and experiences. While some are positive and others negative, I think it's important to try your best and not carry negative experiences with you when trying to talk to someone new for the first time. I will admit to being slightly "fresh" with my comments but not without venting reasons. Let me apologize to all the short and tall women on CD and YOU especially if things were said in the heat of the moment.

Both short and tall women have given me grief and shunned me about my 5'6 frame lots of times. I've learned to accept that everyone has a preference, we all like who we like, and variety of interest is the real spice of life. This is the exact reason why I've never had issues with women being taller than me. I never followed the cookie-cutting norms set out by popular culture and I ignored the advice of some family members and friends. They encouraged me to date women who were more attainable by height standards and look normal like everyone else. The only thing that bothers me to this day and it's really a minor thing is when taller women say I'm abnormal, weird or desperate in my attraction to taller women. I ensure you it's not a crazy twisted fetish that grows old but a real genuine true attraction.

I grew into a man(not heightwise by most standards hahaha) and shed my inferiority complexes after highschool. I've been in some good relationsihps and I only have two regrets that are more on the lines of shoulda, coulda, woulda. I smile today when I think about those times though. First, I really liked a 5'5 super curvy, super busty, pretty European girl in highschool that was totally into me but my idiot self didn't try hard enough to keep her. My friends always told me I could always do better and I belived that. Big mistake. The second woman was a 6'1 curvy, lovely, hotty that I let slip out of my grasp in university. Her 5'9 best friend was not too fond of me(I think she was upset that I didn't go after her at first). She always tried to keep us apart and block me out. Despite her telling me to ignore her friend, I didn't and she went for a guy an inch or two shorter than me lol. My loss but no biggies now.

Let me say this once again for you. There are short guys who don't have issues being with taller women and will date you. Bring your heels to the party too! As long as you are comfortable holding my hand, I will hold yours and maybe slip my arm around your waist too! If you make fun of my height in a joking way, I'll do the same to you. Expect that. It's all in good fun especially as a polite ice-breaker. Don't worry about the guys who don't date you and try to pay less and less attention to the jerks who insult you. Get mean if you have to but still walk away! It's the best thing to do. One more thing. Don't be afraid to make a non-verbal first move if you still want a guy to say the first greeting words.
Good for you if you've got the confidence to approach any man that sparks your interest. Thinking a woman is easy or slutty for making the first move is outdated and stupid. Women who have no bones about making the first move are hot and sexy! Don't be fooled. Some guys are turned on by that.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As a taller woman, I don't think it's an "intimidation" factor at play on the rare occasion that I've suspected that my height has been in issue. I think it more has to do with personal security/ego issues. Most men I've dated or been in relationships with who have been shorter have no problem with being shorter than I am, but the few where it's been an issue, it's been an issue because they're already not happy with their height, and my height only serves to accentuate it, in their minds, and make it more noticeable...i.e., it's not me, it's them, and insecurity that doesn't have anything to do with me has been a factor, I suspect. They're not intimidated, they just don't like feeling short, and being with a taller woman just adds to that for them.
TabulaRasa, I'm one of those shorter guys who loves and prefers tall women! Always fascinated by your long legs and never intimidated by you. At times when I was younger I wrongly questioned my affinity for taller women. Being a shorter guy you're kinda pressured to date who's in your height range and I never had that much choice by virtue of the rules of society. Short women like tall men, average height women like tall men, and it's a given that tall women like tall men. I've only met a tiny fraction of tall women in the 6'0 neighbourhood who are attracted to sub 5'8 guys like me. It's very rare and the woman in question is considered a loser by many for dating a shorter guy.

I once dated a woman who was a half cm shy of 6'1 and I loved every minute of it. I will admit that it was strange at first to accept that a woman who was so much taller than me would be interested but she was. She actually approached me which was amazing in itself. Taller women rarely make the first move on a shorter guy unless she's worried about losing him to a shorter girl.

FYI tall girl left me for a 5'4 guy but we're still friends LOL.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM

[quote=David Dollar;25285055]Concepts of beauty do vary. That is good because there needs to be people with different tastes so as everyone can be happy. Also, a few more inches than average would be 5'7"-5'8". That is still a good height for a girl. 6'0" though, that is getting kind of weird and side show freaky. That is kind of like men with midget fetishes. You know what I think when I see a sasquach woman? Tranny.[/quote]

Midget fetish? Maybe that's extreme, but not out of the ordinary when you really stop and think about it. Tall men dating extremely short women has been the norm for centuries. It explains to this day why a large majority of short women still adamantly refuse short guys in favour of tall guys.

Only in recent years have taller woman/shorter man couples found public acceptance. In some cases it has more to do with keeping the dating options open and not limiting oneself to a certain look, shape, height or weight. There's still plenty of ignorant folk like some on CD who negate the progress with their idiotic beliefs.

You? I just think you're not man enough to handle a tall woman. Your masculinity is paramount on being with a shorter woman. It definitely sounds like it. There is so much more to love in a tall woman that you probably don't understand and never will by your way of thinking. Maybe your preference is for short women which is totally fine because everyone has one. Namecalling is not cool. It's weak and pathetic really.

You know what I think when I see a live sasquatch? Run for your life!

You know what I think when I see a tall woman? Wow she's hot!!

You know what I think when I read posts like yours? You belong in a sideshow!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM

896 posts, read 1,393,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Not all tall women are supermodels. Most of us are average women in build who happen to be taller. When men say they like taller women, they're thinking of women like Heidi Klum, not women like me.

The taller a woman is, the thinner she has to be to 'make up' for it is what I've experienced.
This is so true a woman can be average height 5'4-5'6 size 8-12 and be fine. If a taller woman is too big she can be seen as mainly. This sucks because I am almost 6ft and smallest I ever been is an 8. If I am 10, 12 or 14 I feel that I can be too big even thought I am taller. It is hard just for me to stay a size 12 sometimes and I look really thin at a size 10. Plus I have an athletic built.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,603,316 times
i find tall women very attractive

Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
i find tall women very attractive
I'll second that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships