Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Guys, are you intimidated to approach a taller woman?
Yes 35 30.43%
No 80 69.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Yeah...JJ, when do you move? I'm curious to hear if things change for you!
December/January

I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
See, I don't like it when an entire room stares at me. My husband reminds me of all the women doing anything to be noticed and all I have to do is walk in or walk by. I dread walking to the ladies room alone.

And although I'm rarely asked to pose with people, I do see people trying to sneak pics with their cell phones. (I just asked my husband if this was all in my head and he said no. ) I don't know if they're trying to get photos of the super tall chick or if it's because I'm that much taller than my husband.

And yeah, I hear you about the shorter girls/women. It happened this weekend too...in the ladies room. I'm guaranteed comments if I'm waiting on line for the ladies room and it's a guarantee that I'll silence the line when I walk out of the stall.
Perhaps the peeps want your picture coz your a beautiful lady.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
December/January

I can't wait!
I bet the peeps take your picture. Your a beautiful lady.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
I don't think many men are intimidated, but I do think some have issues with the idea of being smaller than their woman. I'm 5'10, dating a 5'8ish man and while he seems good with it, I've heard his friends make remarks.

I've also never had much issue attracting men. I'm not beautiful but I also don't consider myself an uggo. I'm average in the looks dept.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,987,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I don't think many men are intimidated, but I do think some have issues with the idea of being smaller than their woman. I'm 5'10, dating a 5'8ish man and while he seems good with it, I've heard his friends make remarks.

I've also never had much issue attracting men. I'm not beautiful but I also don't consider myself an uggo. I'm average in the looks dept.
lol uggo? That's a new one.

Nah, I'd say you're better than average.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
This is a nice build for me. I wonder how much that is on a 6' 1" frame?!?!

http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-conten...ssize42610.jpg
I travelled with a woman who was 6'2" and 120 kg (264 pounds) and actually didn't look too fat. She was pretty 'heavy-set' and 'big' (not big as in fat) but not visibly overweight or obese. I mean do people really think being 5'6" and 120 kg looks better than being 6'2" and the same weight?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
It depends hon. I think most of us could go a little taller as long as she doesn't outweigh us by a great deal. That's my problem. At 5' 10" and 197 (more like 193 after the last few days sweating my ass off) she has to be either very tall (6'+) or pretty stocky to dwarf me. On a, say 5' 6" man, it might not be too hard to do. If he is 5' 7" and 160 a 6' woman that tips 215-220 is going to seem pretty good size. She could outweigh him by 60 pounds. Not a big deal if she is 5' 4" and outweighs him. He still has the stature to feel manly. Most of what I've seen 5' 6" to 5' 8" gals seem to like a guy 6' to 6' 2". If they are 5' 9" or (5' 10" like me) they seem to go for 6' 3" to 6' 5" or 6' 6" guys. Four to five inches taller with the man seems to be the golden standard or magic number. My tallest was my 5' 8" GF. Most were 5' 3" to 5' 6". I had one 5' and one 5' 1" as well. All were fine with my stature. However my 5' 8" GF when she wore heels was about an inch taller. I tend to like them round and curvy. If you are 6' 2" and (very curvy) like I like, you are going to be 220+ most likely. Sure I could pick you up. I can lift 375. It's just something feels off about it. I know you said you weigh a lot less. That would be considered as well as you are only 6' 1". I don't think I could do a 6' 3" or 6' 4" chick at 5' 10". I'm as manly as they come, but that just turns me off. She's gotta be pushing 250 at that height.
If the average woman is 5'4" and the average man 5'9" to 5'10", then men on average are about 5" taller than women. So if you're a 5'10" man, and you were born female instead, you'd be about 5'5". I guess if you think of it that way a woman who is 5'9" seems taller, although I don't even think of women that height as really tall anymore, especially with younger people who seem to be getting taller. Yet I do see many women that height with men around the same height as well.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As a taller woman, I don't think it's an "intimidation" factor at play on the rare occasion that I've suspected that my height has been in issue. I think it more has to do with personal security/ego issues. Most men I've dated or been in relationships with who have been shorter have no problem with being shorter than I am, but the few where it's been an issue, it's been an issue because they're already not happy with their height, and my height only serves to accentuate it, in their minds, and make it more noticeable...i.e., it's not me, it's them, and insecurity that doesn't have anything to do with me has been a factor, I suspect. They're not intimidated, they just don't like feeling short, and being with a taller woman just adds to that for them.
Yeah, I think this is it.

I'm not that tall...only slightly on the tall side (5'8 & living in SoCal where lots of people are short), and because I am very thin & can even have a "delicate" look, it's not unusual for me to attract short to average men who are around my height. Often they don't realize I am taller or the same height until they stand next to me or something (especially if I wear heels). I see their face change when they realize it. It's not intimidation... I think they're just insecure about their own manliness. My 5'8 ex admitted as much.

I also think some simply don't find tall/taller women attractive. Models are not tall because men find it attractive.... they are tall because height photographs well, makes clothes look good, is somewhat unusual & stands out, etc.

I used to think men were less concerned about height than women (because many women do seem stuck on tall height for men; although I am not one of them), but I've realized most prefer short to average women if possible. Most tall women I know are not picky about height in men for that reason....they can't afford to be.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,150,820 times
I don't understand why anyone would be afraid to approach any women regardless of height. What are they going to do to you?

Yes i know that approaching someone can take a little confidence but if you like the look or are attracted to the personality of them then no other parameters should be taken into consideration surely..

Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,421,377 times
If I'm playing them in one on one basketball yes. In all other cases, no......and I don't know any other guys that are either. Surprised yes has so many votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships