Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Guys, are you intimidated to approach a taller woman?
Yes 35 30.43%
No 80 69.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What's your point? I'm just saying on average if a 6'3" guy went with a 5'9" woman, probability says their kids will be taller than if she was 4'11". Not a hard concept to grasp, is it?
My point? Well you stated "Yes, don't these guys realise being with a 5' woman will mean his kids will be a lot shorter than they would otherwise be?" and i pointed out (not in these terms but i stupidly thought the connection was easy to make) that's not always the case as genetics don't work like that and i offered my own 'data' to support my statement.

Now to answer your question: What's your point? Well, read the last line of my post and have a wild stab in the dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
Genetics are luck of the draw. Both of my parents are taller than me. My brother is tall. I ended up short, YES with both parents being taller.

As for the short mom/tall dad thing (where I usually saw MOST of the boys growing up to be short(er) men because of the Mother's genetics), there are plenty of examples of this... Then what about the Grandparent's height? A distant relative's height? You just don't know............

There was a clip on ABC's Good Morning America of a guy who was 6'8, who married a woman was 5' even. They had a boy who struggled with the 4'11 mark in Middle School (roughly age 13, where his dad was already 6 feet tall at the same age). The subject of the clip was self esteem growing up. You could tell the dad was uneasy with his kid being bullied for being so short........
Is My Child Too Short? - YouTube

I knew quite a few kids like that who ended up in the 5'5-5'7 range as adult men.

Another good example - Kiefer Sutherland (5'7) vs father Donald Sutherland (6'6)

Other way around - Shorter parents can and regularly birth average height and tall sons - Martin Sheen (5'6), vs son Charlie Sheen (5'10), Michael Jordan ended up 6'6 with both parents under 5'10.

For every couple that has taller sons, there will be just as many who birth average and shorter ones... regardless of the parent's heights a lot of the time.

LUCK OF THE DRAW....... STOP SUGGESTING THAT A SHORT WOMAN GREATLY INCREASES HER CHANCE OF HAVING TALL SONS BY MATING WITH A TALL MAN, LIKE SHE "MUST" BE WITH A TALL MAN OR ELSE - That is rubbish, socially accepted brainwashing and hogwash. Just as many short couples have kids of average height or can have tall daughters and not so tall sons.

You just don't know what your kids will look like.
Superficial or not, that's why my preference is someone taller than my height if I were female, so 5'3" and up. But its just a preference.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,364 times
Genetics can be funny when it comes to height. My dad is 6'0" and my mom 5'8". I'm 6'2". My dad is reasonably tall, but my mom is taller(at least in terms of being compared to average height for their respective gender) so my mom being 5'8" is most likely the reason I'm taller than my dad by couple of inches.

But I've seen both extremes. A friend of mine grew to 6'5" with both his parents being 5'10"(his brother is 6'4"). Also knew someone back in Florida who's dad is 6'4" and his mom is 5'8", but he only grew to 5'10".

And just an FYI, Jeremy Lin is 6'3" with both his parents being 5'6".

Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Genetics can be funny when it comes to height. My dad is 6'0" and my mom 5'8". I'm 6'2". My dad is reasonably tall, but my mom is taller(at least in terms of being compared to average height for their respective gender) so my mom being 5'8" is most likely the reason I'm taller than my dad by couple of inches.

But I've seen both extremes. A friend of mine grew to 6'5" with both his parents being 5'10"(his brother is 6'4"). Also knew someone back in Florida who's dad is 6'4" and his mom is 5'8", but he only grew to 5'10".

Yep. You never know when a rogue gene will show up and mess up the statistics

My dad is 6'3, mom is 5'7. I'm 6'1, brother is 6'3 (will probably end up around 6'5) and our sister is 5'5.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post

My mum's side of the family is tall, but she was the shortest of ten siblings. My grandfather was a shade under 6 feet, I have an aunty who is 5'7", a female cousin who is 5'11", and all of my grown up male cousins are taller than me, the tallest is 6'3". That is exceptionally tall in Singapore. My paternal grandfather is about 5'4" but fit as a fiddle and he was a former judo master. My middle sister is average height, while my youngest is only 5 feet. I was always one of the shortest as a kid, and ended up slightly below average at 5'9". Always thought I shouldve been taller but oh well it could be worse.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:58 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't know if one of the taller ladies has already started a thread like this, but I couldn't find any. I know the issue of height when it comes to dating has been discussed, with regards with men and also women, so I'm wondering about something...

Are most guys here intimidated by women who are noticeably taller than them, or even slightly taller? Have you noticed this among men? I mean in a dating context, as in approaching/asking out/expressing interest in.

They might be for different reasons. They think that most women want a man who's taller than them, they're afraid she might even overpower them/seem like the 'man' in the relationship, too big to handle/they feel they can't 'dominate them', what others will think, they're just not used to them...

I'm not really scared of them, but I will sometimes I think taller women won't consider me since they'd probably go for a taller guy, and there are plenty of those going around. It doesn't seem that many women actually PREFER a guy who is shorter. Some may prefer someone around the same height, and actually most of the gals I've been attracted to have been around my height or slightly shorter, but seldom shorter.

Actually I'm noticing quite a lot of couples where the woman is shorter. Yesterday I saw a couple where the woman was a lot taller. Or maybe they still stick out a bit. Still seems pretty common here.
My wife is taller than me by an inch. I've never been intimidated to talk with taller women (a rarity given that I'm 6'2")... but I can see why men would be. I'm probably about the shortest guy my wife would've been happy dating, because she never wanted to be with a man significantly shorter than she is. To this day, I know she'd rather I be her same height... but I tell her that she'll shrink faster than I will so eventually we'll be even.

Guys wouldn't have a problem approaching taller women due to insecurity about being the shorter one in the relationship. They'd have a problem approaching taller women because they feel that taller women would rather date guys their height or taller... meaning they're more likely to be rejected by said tall woman. Men don't want their egos bruised by getting rejected, any more than women do.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
I'm not intimidated by tall women, I'm just not that attracted to them. I love short women! I think 5'0 is a good height for a woman.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,222 times
I am attracted to women of all heights, and my past girlfriends have ranged in height from 5'1" to 5'11" (I am 5'6".) I have absolutely no problems with approaching a taller woman. Unfortunately, while I am secure about my height, it seems like some of the women I approach feel insecure because I am shorter than they are, despite the fact that I really don't care. No, you don't have to wear flats when we go out, wear heels if you want and wear them proudly!

Also, for the record, there are few things more attractive and sexier than a woman who is secure about her height and beams with pride even when with a shorter man.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I reached my adult height of 5'10" in fifth grade...my days of being insecure about being the taller one are decades behind me.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I reached my adult height of 5'10" in fifth grade...my days of being insecure about being the taller one are decades behind me.
Wow, what age is that, 11? At age 13 I was shorter than my sister, who is a year younger than me. From 14-16 I grew about eight inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships