Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 AM

161 posts, read 394,988 times

Advertisements

Ever had a situation where you made a bad impression on a date, and how did you rebound from that? Was the person you were with judgmental or open-minded about talking some more? On the flip side, did you ever get a negative impression of someone - what made you write them off completely versus not taking it too seriously?

The extremity of the bad impression can vary, so I think being late versus saying something racist are on two different levels. I've had situations where I probably gave off a negative impression (and I liked the people - so it wasn't intentional!) but didn't realize it until after the fact (no, I didn't say anything politically charged.... there was one situation where I got a bit negative because I've just had a lot of stressful things going on in my life right now-and my date knew that).

In those cases, especially when it's a first date, I really wish people didn't judge so harshly. Nobody's perfect and in my opinion, people shouldn't be so quick to write off someone based on a 2 to 3 hour conversation (unless it's VERY clear that you both have very different value sets or something). But that definitely wasn't the case for me.

Any situations like this or thoughts on the matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Many close friends of mine today said they thought poorly of me at first because they didn't get my sense of humor and took some things I said too seriously. Over time they got to know me and know that I was just kidding. It happens from time to time where acquaintances will out of the blue say "hey, I like you you're hilarious" when I've known them for months or even a year. I think I just get misunderstood early on at times.

I say just do your thing, whatever makes you happy, and good people will find you and appreciate you.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
It's hard to shake a bad first impression. With online dating I'm not very likely to give someone another chance if they make a bad first impression because I can easily find someone else to meet. If I didn't have any other options I'd be more likely to go out with them again.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:59 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoor54 View Post
Ever had a situation where you made a bad impression on a date, and how did you rebound from that? Was the person you were with judgmental or open-minded about talking some more? On the flip side, did you ever get a negative impression of someone - what made you write them off completely versus not taking it too seriously?

The extremity of the bad impression can vary, so I think being late versus saying something racist are on two different levels. I've had situations where I probably gave off a negative impression (and I liked the people - so it wasn't intentional!) but didn't realize it until after the fact (no, I didn't say anything politically charged.... there was one situation where I got a bit negative because I've just had a lot of stressful things going on in my life right now-and my date knew that).

In those cases, especially when it's a first date, I really wish people didn't judge so harshly. Nobody's perfect and in my opinion, people shouldn't be so quick to write off someone based on a 2 to 3 hour conversation (unless it's VERY clear that you both have very different value sets or something). But that definitely wasn't the case for me.

Any situations like this or thoughts on the matter?
^^
Bolded part above...I agree 100%! IMO, people should be just a lil more forgiving, gentle, and easy-going, on a first date...like OP said, don't be so quick to judge so harshly! Cut them a lil slack; the truth is that they may really like you a lot, but are just really nervous and/or shy, and thus might make an innocent or minor gaffe or accidentally mess up, just b/c they're (paradoxically) scared of making a bad impression

And yes, I really do believe in giving people "second chances" We're all human...no one is perfect; everyone has made mistakes before, and will again -- mistakes, even truly unintended ones, are pretty much inevitable. So why not be a lil more forgiving and compassionate, than critical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships