Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Oh I forgot, there aren't guys anywhere outside of America that are friends with a girl and hoping to love them. You've got to be kidding me lol, I've seen it with all of my foreign friends. You can't begin to tell me it doesn't exist.

Next thing you know you're going to have more americans whining about the friend zone, and claiming they're going to move to other countries where they won't be in it.
You're missing the point here. My point was that terms like "friend zoning" and other terms associated with dating (even referring to it as dating in the first place) originated in the US, but may have caught on in other English speaking countries such as the UK and Australia.

Since all countries are different, so is dating. I grew up in the UK, lived in northern France for a short time and have lived in the US for the best part of a decade, so that's what I'm basing my observations on. To me, dating over here seems much more business interview-like and people seems to seek more instant gratification and are more drawn to people with looks or money. I realise that this doesn't apply to anywhere near all people or situations, but it's a generalisation with at least some degree of truth as it has been confirmed by many others (American or not) who have observed the same.

Terms such as "friend zone", "first base", "bring to the table" and "he's not that into you" did not originate in Britain, Australia or New Zealand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
You're missing the point here. My point was that terms like "friend zoning" and other terms associated with dating (even referring to it as dating in the first place) originated in the US, but may have caught on in other English speaking countries such as the UK and Australia.

Since all countries are different, so is dating. I grew up in the UK, lived in northern France for a short time and have lived in the US for the best part of a decade, so that's what I'm basing my observations on. To me, dating over here seems much more business interview-like and people seems to seek more instant gratification and are more drawn to people with looks or money. I realise that this doesn't apply to anywhere near all people or situations, but it's a generalisation with at least some degree of truth as it has been confirmed by many others (American or not) who have observed the same.

Terms such as "friend zone", "first base", "bring to the table" and "he's not that into you" did not originate in Britain, Australia or New Zealand.
What I'm trying to say is that, even though the terminology might be different, it all still exists. There are guys getting put in "the friend zone" or guys hoping to get to second base (baseball reference so obviously you're not going to see it in other places) in ALL parts of the world.

I'd like to see good looking women in Europe dating poor guys and giving every guy a chance... yeah right.

All the problems that are faced here in America are seen in every part of the world. Sure there might be a few things that are slightly different.. but in the end everyone is the same.

That's just Europe. Heck you could look at south america and I saw an even higher amount of sugar daddies with their young 21 year old girlfriends. It's everywhere in the world and anyone who thinks this is an American phenomenon is downright wrong.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I thought this was just normal...lol
It is.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
You guys may not know this, but "dating" as you know it is almost exclusively American.

Downunder, we "see" someone. By this I mean, someone who likesyou in that way will ask you out. If you like them in that way, you accept.

This has changed a little bit, thanks to internet dating, but essentially it is an unspoken rule that you are together if the date is repeated or successful, and by together I mean, exclusive, with all the relationship responsibilities that come with that.

Americans treat dating more like window shopping, by which I mean you tend to date a lot of different people, with no expectations or commitments, often no physical contact!

The essential difference is you guys decide if you want a relationship AFTER the date, where as we decide we want one BEFORE the date. A girl would not accept a date from a guy she wasn't hot for, and vice versa.

I'm not saying one is better or worse, just that there is a difference which is a CONSTANT source of amusement for me, especially when someone gets on CD and says "we didn't get to first base" or "what does this mean?". In Aus, there are no doubts. If he's spending money on you, you've got him...and he assumes you want him.

It certainly saves a lot of misunderstandings, hurt feelings, and forum questions!
I am sorry, but, I never seen dating like this when I go to Australia. I have been asked out by women many of times, and out of those at least 75% of them, have been for just a single date, and that was known from the beginning. it was about going out and having some fun, not even thinking about long term relationships.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,364 times
Quote:
Where in South Florida? I spent time in Miami and loved it

Half an hour north of Miami.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Australian men just don't take care of their appearance very much. Care too much and you're labelled a 'metro' or a poof or something. And men don't approach women here? How do you think anyone gets together in that case?

It's no different here in the states.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Exactly. The experiences my parents had while dating was MUCH different than what I have. That's why i find it odd that people who are in the 40s and 50s are commenting on the dating culture now, when they have absolutely no clue how it really is.
Seriously. Every time my dad tells me how it was back in the day it makes me wish I was born in like 1972. Not to mention I would have been at the perfect age to enjoy the thrash metal, hardcore punk, and grunge scenes as they were born

Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
I'd love a holiday in the States.

All the peanut butter cups I could eat...heaven!
You like Peanut butter cups?

Oh my..

Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
You like Peanut butter cups?

Oh my..
WHAT????

Froggie do we already have a problem?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
WHAT????

Froggie do we already have a problem?

lol no. Peanut butter cups is my one cany weakness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships