Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Assuming no one was asked to be set up, why do married people always go out of their way to set up their single friends? Do they subconsciously want their single friends to be married too?

What's the thought process behind them trying to be matchmakers? I rarely see single people trying to set up other single people.
They are miserable in their own marriage so they want you to be married also. Bunch of haters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Single people do set up other single people. And there are plenty of married people who couldn't be bothered. There are all kinds of people out there. Some are thoughtful enough to try to set up their friends or acquaintances when the opportunity presents itself, whether they themselves are single or married.

Is this really that big a deal?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Why do married people always try to set up their single friends?

What's the thought process behind them trying to be matchmakers?
A wag would say "Misery loves company". However, many do it out of having a good sense for what will work. Many older women in particular see opportunities that younger women never will consider until it's 5 years too late. However, women in particular are not interested in that in the slightest. They usually think that they have what it takes to attract the alpha guys - based on their long years of experience waking up in their bed on Wednesday morning.

Quote:
I rarely see single people trying to set up other single people.
85 to 90% of men have little success as it is so it would be expecting an incredible degree of generosity to give away any woman who they think is available.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
Only spoken for women set people up, guys never do. If a guy knows a hot girl, he'll want her for himself, even if he's taken, he won't set you up since she's an option if his current girl dont work out. A friend won't set up his friend with an ugly girl because guys don't want to inflict pain on their bros.

Women on the other hand, do it to pawn off their loser uggo friends onto unsuspecting guys so they can do "couple things" with their loser friend and the guy. These women are not the guy's friend, they are entirely indifferent to whether or not the man would find this girl desirable, they just want their girl to find a guy. I've been set up twice and should've known better that women who don't sell pictures of themselves as birth control don't need to be set up since any woman better looking than Rosie O'Donnell can get guys in the DC area.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,417 times
Quote:
Assuming no one was asked to be set up, why do married people always go out of their way to set up their single friends? Do they subconsciously want their single friends to be married too?

What's the thought process behind them trying to be matchmakers? I rarely see single people trying to set up other single people.
You know you have won something when they don't even talk about it anymore. You're too good for any that we know. All these women have something serious wrong with them. You don't need any of it. The setting up stopped. Well....thank you!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:32 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
i cant say we are always trying"" to set our single friends up but when we do it is because they have expressed the desire to "fit in" better with me and my wife and do common things together as couples that are just awkward as a single person.

i wouldn't really ever think to set anyone up without having a reason first.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM

270 posts, read 488,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No idea... None of my friends (married or not) try to set me up with men.

I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing...
Haha, mine neither anymore. I think they think I'm too picky and it's inevitable that the guy will go for me and not vice versa (not even trying to sound stuck on myself...either a guy likes me and I don't like him or it's the other way around - never is it a mutual like!)

To answer the OP, I think it's because married friends don't always feel comfortable hanging out as a couple with the single friend and it's basically the end of the world for at least one of them if one of them hangs out with the single person alone. So matchmaking evens the numbers out.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:05 AM

365 posts, read 258,332 times
?????

When I was first divorced I thought that married friends might help me meet a good woman. What I found out was that most of my married friends had married friends - not many singles in their groups. And they few that were single were single for very good reasons

Single friends know more single people and are a good way to meet a potential partner. Lately, I taken to chatting with young women who are to young for me, but often have older female friends and relatives who are be interesting. Hey. it might work!

Last edited by Rombus; 08-12-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:

Misery loves company?

Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
I would hate to be set up without my knowledge. My friends are open to it whenever I'm ready for it but they'd never do it without my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships