Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Mirror pics are pretty cheesy. I don't have any on my FB (which I'm currently contemplating deleting because I can't stand 90% of the status updates my "friends" post), but strangely decided to post one on my CD profile...
cough..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:35 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think on average, girls will receive more messages than guys, but not THAT much more. It is a myth that women are receiving 45 messages a day from men. Maybe a couple every day, but that's about it.
Yes maybe the youngest hottest women get that many but most of us do not. After the first week, it is less than a couple every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
The few girls who have messaged me first are usually far away (2+ hours) and there is something unusual about them (such as having a child, having 10 tattoos etc)
I don't believe it's your intention but when women read comments like these, they are discouraged from messaging men first b/c no one wants men to think that they're "unusual."

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Cupid on Trial: A 4-month Online Dating Experiment | Jon Millward - Blog

summary of his experiment:

• The most contacted woman had almost 17 times more messages in a week than the most contacted man.

• Three of the men had no messages, despite their profiles being viewed about 25 times between them.

• The women’s messages outnumbered the men’s 17 to 1 (mostly thanks to the two best looking women).

• The two best looking men received 5 fewer messages than the 3rd and 4th best looking women.
The article never did mention how age is a function. Besides, just getting a lot of messages is not the same as getting a lot of messages that you had in mind. I have lots of messages from "Bubba" but Bubba will never hear back from me. Any man that I consider my "equal" in several of the factors that people look for in finding a partner are looking for younger women and sometimes much younger women. For that reason I don't even bother to message a man if his age range drops to 15 years or more younger than us, even if my age is included in his range, b/c I know that he's hoping for someone much younger and just doesn't want to sound bad.

One thing men need to keep in mind when they complain about women getting the most messages is that only the hottest women do and men of all categories of looks are messaging them and maybe, just maybe they are aiming too high. One complaint that I have heard from everyone though, men and women, is that the people they meet and date IRL are more intelligent and better looking, so I'm trying to figure out how that works.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:42 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
The article never did mention how age is a function.
the profiles involved were age 26.

Quote:
Besides, just getting a lot of messages is not the same as getting a lot of messages that you had in mind.
irrelevant because it applies to both men and women.

Quote:
One thing men need to keep in mind when they complain about women getting the most messages is that only the hottest women do
His study contradicts that claim; the average looking women got more messages than the best-looking man.

Quote:
One complaint that I have heard from everyone though, men and women, is that the people they meet and date IRL are more intelligent and better looking, so I'm trying to figure out how that works.
Good question, but I can venture a theory based on what I think is typical:

a. Men hit on quality women for dating, and non-quality women for an easy lay. Online, typically the non-quality women are the ones who respond.

b. The woman has no way of knowing whether she's being pursued as a "date" or a "quick lay," she just goes for the man she thinks is the highest quality, which is more likely to be a guy who wants a quick lay.

c. This means the "typical" OKCupid date would be a below-average woman on a date with an above-average man who for the moment is just looking for sex. This is a lose-lose for both people, given how much less interest women have in quick meaningless sex.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the profiles involved were age 26.

irrelevant because it applies to both men and women.

His study contradicts that claim; the average looking women got more messages than the best-looking man.

Good question, but I can venture a theory based on what I think is typical:

a. Men hit on quality women for dating, and non-quality women for an easy lay. Typically the non-quality women are the ones who respond.

b. The woman has no way of knowing whether she's being pursued as a "date" or a "quick lay," she just goes for the man she thinks is the highest quality, which is more likely to be a guy who wants a quick lay.

c. This means the "typical" OKCupid date would be a below-average woman on a date with an above-average man who for the moment is just looking for sex. This is a lose-lose for both people, given how much less interest women have in quick meaningless sex.

Omfg the bolded made me laugh out loud !! ahhahahaha!

To stepka, I meant that women on average receive a little bit more messages than the guy. I was saying that its a lie that women are constantly receving 25 messages a day. I do believe they receive more, but not MUCH more.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Omfg the bolded made me laugh out loud !! ahhahahaha!
ha, tell me it isn't the truth, though.

it's true for me, it's true for my male friends, and it's true for my female friends. not that anybody admits it.

now when you're talking about older demographics... 30+ 40+ 50+, i figure the dynamics of it change, but i really wouldn't know. i'm 28, and i set my age range from 20-31. To me it looks like there's roughly double the number of 29-30-31 women than there are 24-25-26.

Last edited by le roi; 07-12-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Online dating for women has to be so easy tbh. Write a profile, put up some cute photos, then just wait. You'll be swarmed with messages like bees swarming a pool of spilled soda.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Online dating for women has to be so easy tbh. Write a profile, put up some cute photos, then just wait. You'll be swarmed with messages like bees swarming a pool of spilled soda.
I started a new profile on a new site last weekend. Not one message so far. Bummer.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:30 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Join a meet-up club in your city. That way you can actually "meet" people. I hate to be discouraging but honestly there's alot of garbage on those sites. People who've been on for years and years married men. Etc. do local stuff. Sometimes the old fashioned way REALLY is for the best. I had some scary dates on those sites. Met my guy while waiting in the wine line at a concert. Just get out and socialize.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Join a meet-up club in your city. That way you can actually "meet" people. I hate to be discouraging but honestly there's alot of garbage on those sites. People who've been on for years and years married men. Etc. do local stuff. Sometimes the old fashioned way REALLY is for the best. I had some scary dates on those sites. Met my guy while waiting in the wine line at a concert. Just get out and socialize.
Who says people on dating sites aren't doing both? I socialize constantly and have a huge group of friends. So far this week I've been to 2 concerts, a LAN party (I know, I know...) a backyard bbq and to my local dive for a tiki party and it's only Thursday!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Hey Sonia ... be sure and leave yourself a quick out when you meet someone. Not everyone looks or is as nice as they appear in their profile. Don't be afraid to tell a little white lie when you need to cut it short.

One of the things that turns me off quick is when a women dangles sex as an enticement to call her a 2nd time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships