Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,157 posts, read 14,064,968 times
Reputation: 14945

Advertisements

But you also said that you have dated a lot of girls but that you hesitate. What is it that makes you hesitate? Surely it isn't the decreasing number of singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,384 posts, read 108,693,909 times
Reputation: 116468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
2010 US census showed the avg age for a woman to get married was 26 and 27 more males. lol yep. the whole baby shower thing trips me out. everyone is with their kid and partner and here i am like wtf is wrong with you dude.lol

ive dated and a lot of girls..i just always felt unsure about going fwd with things..eventually relationship dies if the girl doesnt see you moving fwd with things.

but now i realize that hesitance was probably a huge mistake.
I don't think so. If they weren't good enough matches that you were compelled to move things fwd, it means you did the right thing. Funny, I've never gotten a single baby shower invitation. I didn't know they were a guy thing.

Who cares about statistics? Conventional wisdom says it's better to get married in your 30's, because you know yourself better and have a clearer idea of what you want in a partner. So chill. You're right on schedule. Keep circulating. Look for deeper qualities in people, not the flashy looks. You're driving yourself crazy, imagining there's this pressure to get married by a certain date. Do you want to end up divorced by 35 or 40, like some of those proud parents-to-be will be? Don't rush. But do circulate. Take it as it comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,157 posts, read 14,064,968 times
Reputation: 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
i guess i wanted everything to be perfect. financially, mentally emotionally. but now i realize thats a never ending process
It never will be perfect, so don't wait for it. My advice is to be open and communicate. Ask her what her long term goals are. Share with her what yours are. (Timing this conversation is important. It may not necessarily be a good idea to discuss this on a first date.) Be decisive about follow-on dates. Work on things. Be willing to compromise. If you have doubts or questions, make sure you discuss them with her. Openness and communication cannot be underestimated.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
 
601 posts, read 760,721 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think so. If they weren't good enough matches that you were compelled to move things fwd, it means you did the right thing. Funny, I've never gotten a single baby shower invitation. I didn't know they were a guy thing.

Who cares about statistics? Conventional wisdom says it's better to get married in your 30's, because you know yourself better and have a clearer idea of what you want in a partner. So chill. You're right on schedule. Keep circulating. Look for deeper qualities in people, not the flashy looks. You're driving yourself crazy, imagining there's this pressure to get married by a certain date. Do you want to end up divorced by 35 or 40, like some of those proud parents-to-be will be? Don't rush. But do circulate. Take it as it comes.
Not so much in a hurry to do it.. but really wish i met a girl my age who would make that transition with me. Then id be more fond of doing things later down the line. But all these broads go "2 years or youre out"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,384 posts, read 108,693,909 times
Reputation: 116468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
But all these broads go "2 years or youre out"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
 
601 posts, read 760,721 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
meaning i either give them what they want in span of two years and if i dont they walk out. from experience i feel 4 yrs is about right to start thinking of that..lmaoooo i know we dont have that amount of time.. but im being honest. i just dont like those fwd expectations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM
 
15,013 posts, read 21,735,076 times
Reputation: 12334
Maybe you just never met the right woman. You were never inspired by any woman enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,157 posts, read 14,064,968 times
Reputation: 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
But all these broads go "2 years or youre out"
Well, everyone moves at a different pace, but 2 years is a long time to get to know someone. From the day I my wife and I got together to the day we were married was 4 1/2 months. To be fair, I did meet her a while before, but we did not have much contact with each other. Eh, long story, and I won't bore the crowd with it. You get the idea. I don't think it's unreasonable for a girl to expect to know where things are heading after two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
 
601 posts, read 760,721 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well, everyone moves at a different pace, but 2 years is a long time to get to know someone. From the day I my wife and I got together to the day we were married was 4 1/2 months. To be fair, I did meet her a while before, but we did not have much contact with each other. Eh, long story, and I won't bore the crowd with it. You get the idea. I don't think it's unreasonable for a girl to expect to know where things are heading after two years.
i get it ..i guess my mind was thinking more around the ball park of 4 years . no pun intended. just to be REALLY sure you know??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,384 posts, read 108,693,909 times
Reputation: 116468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
meaning i either give them what they want in span of two years and if i dont they walk out. from experience i feel 4 yrs is about right to start thinking of that..lmaoooo i know we dont have that amount of time.. but im being honest. i just dont like those fwd expectations
It's bizarre. Nobody should be making you play "Beat The Clock". Those aren't the women for you. 4 years is probably pretty realistic. Life is to be enjoyed, it's not a contest. I've heard about dating in LA, women are pretty demanding and perfectionistic. One guy told me he was considering bailing and moving to N. CA, but then he did manage to find a woman. LA's huge, there should be enough variety there. You need to figure out how to tap into a different demographic, or something. Avoid these women who carry timers around with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top