Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds like an extended adolescence. Funny how some people are like that, while others are already into lucrative careers by mid-20's.
Yes, most of his friends are single, they work, hang out, party and play video games. They range in age from 26-30, what has happened to the "men" of this generation?? Too much technology, drains their initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Yes, most of his friends are single, they work, hang out, party and play video games. They range in age from 26-30, what has happened to the "men" of this generation?? Too much technology, drains their initiative.
Some of the "men" of the next generation older aren't much different. It's still all about video games, or skateboarding, or Star Trek, or something. You and I must be old-fashioned... :-/

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Well video games is an easy explanation, because guys in their 30s are the first generation of arcade popularity and the boom of video games. Before that, there really wasnt any and it wasnt nearly as popular as it was when this generation was growing up. Nostalgia plays a big part in it

Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
You sound like my son who has been wasting his time doing nothing, thinking it's great to be single.
I've told him he will have mostly single moms to date if he keeps waiting around to find someone, I have no problem with single moms but he doesn't want a pre made family.
Maybe if he put as much effort into finding a wife as does in video games and hanging out, he would find someone.
Because there's nothing worse and more pathetic then being single, especially if your a man.

I'd question the maturity of posters who selfishly try to shove their lifestyles down the throats of others and don't consider how other people feel and those that don't adhere to their rigid beliefs are inferior. Some people like being single and no one is obligated to get married.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Because there's nothing worse and more pathetic then being single, especially if your a man.

I'd question the maturity of posters who selfishly try to shove their lifestyles down the throats of others and don't consider how other people feel and those that don't adhere to their rigid beliefs are inferior. Some people like being single and no one is obligated to get married.
I've always seen it as the opposite. Men who are single are confirmed bachelors, just waiting around for the right girl, and in the meantime they get to date around and do whatever they want. They're MEN, not tied down by women!

Women on the other hand are seen as completely undesirable after a certain age (how many threads have we had that said women are over the hill past the age of 25 or 30?) and that there MUST be something wrong with them if they haven't been scooped up by now.

I've been told that I'm 'leftovers' because I'm not married at 28. All the 'good girls' and 'desirable girls' are already taken at this point.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I am glad it worked out for you. Generally though, I think 5 months from meeting someone to marriage is way too fast. Most people do not know each other that well to marry. It usually takes longer than that to see ones true color.
Generally, I agree with you. I would never recommend to others the route that my wife and I took. I believe we are an outlier. Generally I think more time to know each other, learn how the other communicates, etc... the better. As cliche as this sounds, when I met my wife, I just KNEW. There is one thing that I would change if I could. So certain about us was I that I never even proposed. I know, it's awful. I get the occasional reminder about that too. Please don't judge me, I was sort of...well I had no clue back then. Us getting married was sort of a foregone conclusion to me. We just sort of morphed from "new couple" to "engaged" very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've been told that I'm 'leftovers' because I'm not married at 28. All the 'good girls' and 'desirable girls' are already taken at this point.
You're not a leftover. You know it. Remember, you have a clean slate waiting for you this winter. The best is yet to come!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I bet some people are saying that (the guys especially, maybe) because you're the brains in town. Sour grapes, maybe, for some.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,766 times
Wow, this post is so me!

I'm male, turing 29 next week, living in LA, and just got out of a 4 year relationship.

I feel like I missed the boat. I feel like all of my friends are married, many with kids, all settling down. I'm still stuck in my mid-20s, mindset. I've built a decent career in a industry I enjoy, and I have a lot of friends, but definitely feel like all of the women are taken now.

Fingers crossed I meet some good midwest girl in her mid-20s in the next year or two and wants to settle down with me.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Wow, this post is so me!

I'm male, turing 29 next week, living in LA, and just got out of a 4 year relationship.

I feel like I missed the boat. I feel like all of my friends are married, many with kids, all settling down.
It must be an LA thing. This phenom of being surrounded by married friends when you're only in your 20's doesn't happen in Seattle or the Bay Area. Thanks for your frankness, though, Yo. This thread is providing a real insight into the male mind. Who knew some guys feel like they've missed the boat if they're not married by 29?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 AM

161 posts, read 394,965 times
Don't worry too much OP, I think the right person will come along in due time. I genuinely believe there's someone out there for everyone!

Although, I'll admit sometimes (when I'm in a pessimistic mood) I have doubts about my being 23 and single (I'm female). I just have a lot of friends who are either in serious relationships or already engaged/married, so I feel like I'm missing the boat sometimes - even though I really need this time to figure out MY life, career, etc - don't need any other distractions right now.

But interesting to know guys might feel the same pressure before 30...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships