Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
Not so much in a hurry to do it.. but really wish i met a girl my age who would make that transition with me. Then id be more fond of doing things later down the line. But all these broads go "2 years or youre out"
That's a prefectly appropriate amount of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I actually find it a little strange that people make so many rules.
Me too. What is this with issuing ultimatums, even at the beginning, saying 2 years, or bust?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Me too. What is this with issuing ultimatums, even at the beginning, saying 2 years, or bust?
Because some women want to get married and start a family. They don't want to waste their time following a guy around that can't seem to commit because when they finally realize he's never going to, then she has to start all over.

I'm not looking for a husband or family, but even I could see a woman being a little irritated after two years if she wants to start a family. Women have a reproductive expiration date, men don't.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Because some women want to get married and start a family. They don't want to waste their time following a guy around that can't seem to commit because when they finally realize he's never going to, then she has to start all over.

I'm not looking for a husband or family, but even I could see a woman being a little irritated after two years if she wants to start a family. Women have a reproductive expiration date, men don't.
That would depend on when the meter starts ticking, marking off the two years. Does it start at the first date? What exactly are we talking about? What's a guy supposed to do, date for a year, then suddenly propose and set a one-year engagement? That's not realistic at all.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That would depend on when the meter starts ticking, marking off the two years. Does it start at the first date? What exactly are we talking about? What's a guy supposed to do, date for a year, then suddenly propose and set a one-year engagement? That's not realistic at all.
I have no idea, but I do know that I spent nearly 5 years with a guy during my 'peak' years of my early twenties. He refused to commit and I took the stance of the 'laid back' girlfriend and said 'no worries, whenever you're ready'. Now I realize that I should have broken it off because I wasted those years with a guy who was never going to commit to me fully. Granted, he was a douchebag, but I can kind of see other women's perspective on the issue.

I think, that if there isn't a plan in place at around 2 years (not necessarily an engagement or anything, but that both parties are in agreement that it is definitely headed in that direction) that it's probably best to move on if marriage/family is something you want.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

But all these broads go "2 years or youre out"

[i knew there was something]

Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I think you bought the lie that waiting was actually a better choice. But I also think this can be a good warning to other men out there who are doing the same, playing around and avoiding committment until they realize they are getting old and want someone to be there with them when they get sick or have difficulties. Arrested Development sucks, huh.
And divorce sucks less?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well, everyone moves at a different pace, but 2 years is a long time to get to know someone. From the day I my wife and I got together to the day we were married was 4 1/2 months. To be fair, I did meet her a while before, but we did not have much contact with each other. Eh, long story, and I won't bore the crowd with it. You get the idea. I don't think it's unreasonable for a girl to expect to know where things are heading after two years.
I am glad it worked out for you. Generally though, I think 5 months from meeting someone to marriage is way too fast. Most people do not know each other that well to marry. It usually takes longer than that to see ones true color.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times
Quote:
so ive been thinking lately

Im reaching my 30s at what seems to be a rapid pace.

I starting to realize my mast plan pertaining to delaying marriage, kids has back fired miserably

Sure everybody tells me youre fine youll probably meet her around 35 and what not but then i realize what that actually meant!!!!

(1) it will be impossible to find a girl whos never been married/engaged/and never had kids around that age.

(2) If i wanted to someone at that status quo as i am (never married/nor had kids) , id have to start dating girls in their 20s.

Either way id have to settle for less than i feel i deserve.

I dont wonna deal with someones divorce crap or kids. nor do i wonna be a 25 year olds life coach. NOT A CHANCE! I want someone walking next to me. not someone at a different point of their life.

Im young, make good money, followed everything by the freaken book, but even the gardner has built something substantial before i have. wtf??

What seemed right then completely back fired!! shouldve knocked one of them broads up in college when they moaned for it. Yes id probably be paying child support for id have something to show for it.

just got 4 baby shower invitations in the mail! lmao.. another opportunity to highlight this failure.

so what do you guys think??

You sound like my son who has been wasting his time doing nothing, thinking it's great to be single.
I've told him he will have mostly single moms to date if he keeps waiting around to find someone, I have no problem with single moms but he doesn't want a pre made family.
Maybe if he put as much effort into finding a wife as does in video games and hanging out, he would find someone.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
You sound like my son who has been wasting his time doing nothing, thinking it's great to be single.
I've told him he will have mostly single moms to date if he keeps waiting around to find someone, I have no problem with single moms but he doesn't want a pre made family.
Maybe if he put as much effort into finding a wife as does in video games and hanging out, he would find someone.
Sounds like an extended adolescence. Funny how some people are like that, while others are already into lucrative careers by mid-20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships