Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times

Advertisements

What about buying her something for say 1k that she wants, much point in helping the situation, or a waste of time?

No-one has commented on that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM

145 posts, read 325,861 times
Waste of time.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Waste of time.
ETA that if I figured out my husband spent 1k on a gift for me to butter me up for a bike, I'd return the gift and give him back the money. It may sound mean to some but we have kids and a million bucks doesn't replace what the kids and I would lose.

Last edited by carlitasway; 07-13-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Thx

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
What about buying her something for say 1k that she wants, much point in helping the situation, or a waste of time?

I think it might help. I think he is intitled to buy something he wants, but usually in such a situation the wife and even kids should also get something. If I came into money I would want to share with my SO and children.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:

I edited my original post and had said it would not be advisable as it would look like he was trying to placate her.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times
I mentally plopped myself into your friends situation. As we have come into extra money over the years we have always decided together what to do with it. Sometimes a big vacation..or something for him/something for me. Here's the thing..it's not about giving her a 1k gift. What it IS about is WHAT he is wanting to buy. All kinds of reasons as a wife/mom I wouldn't want my hubby to get a bike. No bartering/bribing would change that. So if he said he wanted a 5k watch and he would buy her a $1k LV purse..I bet she would have no issues about him spending the money.

ETA: If my hubby informed me it was "his" money..or just came home with it..he would find himself sleeping on the couch. However, my hubby is way to smart to pull something like that.

Last edited by ~Pajama mama~; 07-13-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: ETA

Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Someone who I know has come into some unexpected cash (legally).

Wants to buy himself and 6K bike. But his wife will have a huge problem with it, b/c 1) She will think its a waste of money....... and he's spending it on himself, even though he obtained the money himself and she had nothing to do with it.
2) the danger factor of the bike, even though he is a semi decent rider.

So my questions are this......what if he bought her a say 1K present on something she wants, how much would this help the situation? and any other ways that can help her having less of a problem with it?

Thx
How did he obtain this money? I guess that might play into it. Was it family money passed down specifically to him or did he scratch a winning lotto ticket?

I get the danger aspect of the bike, but does he need to get her "permission"?? If they have no other frivilous debts, I don't see why he even has to "buy her off" to get what he wants.

ETA: How much of the money is he spending on the bike? It would make a difference. If this is a very small percentage of his windfall then it's not a big deal. If it's every red cent that changes things.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Someone who I know has come into some unexpected cash (legally).

Wants to buy himself and 6K bike. But his wife will have a huge problem with it, b/c 1) She will think its a waste of money....... and he's spending it on himself, even though he obtained the money himself and she had nothing to do with it.
2) the danger factor of the bike, even though he is a semi decent rider.

So my questions are this......what if he bought her a say 1K present on something she wants, how much would this help the situation? and any other ways that can help her having less of a problem with it?

Thx
It's probably more of a safety issue than a cost issue. I don't think an expensive gift will have much affect but I could be wrong.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
When you get married, your money is her money and her money is her money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships