Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Yea, but most of those are probably just offers for sex and nothing more. If a woman is looking for something serious and most of the guys messaging her are just trying to get in her pants, I'm not so sure she's in a situation where she can be picky (despite having many more replies than the average guy).
So lets say that she gets 200 replies in the first few days of placing an ad. She now has to sort through each one which is time consuming. She can eliminate the one-liners and pervy dudes with a click of the mouse, so now lets say she's cut her replies in half to 100. Depending upon how many replied with photos and how many were attractive to her, she can then cut her list in half again, so now we're down to 50. Now she starts speed reading through each reply looking for the ones that captivate her interest. Lets say she narrows this down to the top 20. If she had the time to send a reply to each one which she probably won't, she then has to reply back. If a week has gone by you can bet she probably received another 100 or more replies which keep piling up and eating into her time.

So basically, your ad or reply really needs to knock it out of the park if you want any degree of success. The online dating scene is going to be way more superficial because its much easier to reject someone by simply looking at a photo and not even taking the time to read their profile or reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:27 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So lets say that she gets 200 replies in the first few days of placing an ad. She now has to sort through each one which is time consuming. She can eliminate the one-liners and pervy dudes with a click of the mouse, so now lets say she's cut her replies in half to 100. Depending upon how many replied with photos and how many were attractive to her, she can then cut her list in half again, so now we're down to 50. Now she starts speed reading through each reply looking for the ones that captivate her interest. Lets say she narrows this down to the top 20. If she had the time to send a reply to each one which she probably won't, she then has to reply back. If a week has gone by you can bet she probably received another 100 or more replies which keep piling up and eating into her time.

So basically, your ad or reply really needs to knock it out of the park if you want any degree of success. The online dating scene is going to be way more superficial because its much easier to reject someone by simply looking at a photo and not even taking the time to read their profile or reply.
I'm not saying they don't get a lot of replies. I'm saying that many of the replies are probably for hanging out and sex in which they are essentially worthless to a chick looking for a serious relationship.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Women hold all of the cards when it comes to sex, but men hold all of the cards when it comes to commitment. The opening stages of dating are all about sex(ual attraction) for men, especially those under aged under 35, so that is why it seems women have the upper hand.
Gospel

Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,805,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think it may depend on the particulars of the guy. Educated successful guys who are not just adult adolescents are getting more difficult to find. Those guys hold a little more clout.
Really?

Sorry, but I must disagree with this. That's not what I'm seeing.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 PM

45 posts, read 66,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Can women afford to be more picky when it comes to looking for someone? The two dating sites I've joined I've messaged a couple but it seems that they won't respond and or act like your trying to pick them up at a bar.
Might depend on the particular site, but I've read/heard that for many, there are many more men, so the women have more to choose from. Thus they can be choosier...

Old 07-14-2012, 01:15 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Can women afford to be more picky when it comes to looking for someone? The two dating sites I've joined I've messaged a couple but it seems that they won't respond and or act like your trying to pick them up at a bar.
Because women have a LOT more options than men do when it comes to dating. Fact is we live in a world where single men outnumber single women 4-1 BARE minimum (in places like Las Vegas its 6 or 7-1)

Old 07-14-2012, 01:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Because women have a LOT more options than men do when it comes to dating. Fact is we live in a world where single men outnumber single women 4-1 BARE minimum (in places like Las Vegas its 6 or 7-1)

4 to 1 SW outnumber SM all together??? That must be some good crack you are smoking! In some cities (NYC for example) SW actually outnumber SM.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
4 to 1 SW outnumber SM all together??? That must be some good crack you are smoking! In some cities (NYC for example) SW actually outnumber SM.
Those are the ratios for online dating. I did the math and in my age group, the ratio is like 3-1.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:32 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I think so all together. Too many women are becoming lesbians because there are just SO many bad men out there, and men are forced into homosexuality as well because all these women are becoming a bunch of man-hating lesbians

Good looking women who are going lesbian is a serious problem in America today

Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM

34 posts, read 130,158 times
Surely the number of sw must be similar to the number of sm unless lots of men are dating multiple women. There are more women than men in the world aren't there? And as much as men like to make out they are dating multiple women I think it's a lot less common than they would have you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships