Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:43 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,374 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I just want to hear some thoughts about this snooping around in each others things stuff. Some years ago, I dated this woman for awhile there, and she was a TRUE snoop of a person. You know how after a while, you kind of get to trusting someone enough to leave them alone at your house, while you're at work, or whatever. It took me a month or so to realize it, but I don't believe there was a single box, or other container in my house, that she didn't snoop thru. She never stole anything,(except my right to privacy), but I think that this is SO wrong. I believe that even married couples ought to be able to have a chest, or other container of some type, that is for their own private stuff only. And, I believe the persons mate should respect that, and not snoop thru it. What does everyone else think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 10:37 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,126 times
I think snooping is disrespectful and shows a lack of trust. I wouldn't continue dating a woman who snooped excessively like your ex.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Hello everyone, I just want to hear some thoughts about this snooping around in each others things stuff. Some years ago, I dated this woman for awhile there, and she was a TRUE snoop of a person. You know how after a while, you kind of get to trusting someone enough to leave them alone at your house, while you're at work, or whatever. It took me a month or so to realize it, but I don't believe there was a single box, or other container in my house, that she didn't snoop thru. She never stole anything,(except my right to privacy), but I think that this is SO wrong. I believe that even married couples ought to be able to have a chest, or other container of some type, that is for their own private stuff only. And, I believe the persons mate should respect that, and not snoop thru it. What does everyone else think about this?
i know its wrong. but i would say bek of the creeping distrust between the sexes you get this behavior.
people lie a lot. as you mature you begin to realize the magnitude of this statement. but she made a fatal mistake. she did not have permission to go thru your things. poor boundaries another serious flaw in the relationship.
distrust is probably number one killer of relationships.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-30-2007, 11:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I don't snoop on my husband. He has his computer in the office and has stuff there but I don't really feel the need to snoop.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:48 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Maybe she just wanted to get to know you? Or was looking for your baby pictures!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,163 times
I admit that if something is left in the open I might be nosy enough to look at it. But I think that going through boxes, drawers and looking at a persons computer is just wrong and a definite invasion of privacy.

If you are worried someone is lying to you there are other ways to check that don't involve touching their stuff.

I am very touchy about my stuff

Last edited by GoddessofRandomThoughts; 10-01-2007 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: bad spelling

Old 10-01-2007, 05:08 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,146 times
When I was younger I used to snoop but once I was involved with someone who snooped through my stuff I realized what a violation that is.

So, no more snooping for me!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:14 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,395,534 times
There are reasons I choose to live alone and that is one of them. My roomies dont touch my stuff and I dont bother theirs, its plain and simple.
I've had people go through my stuff before, whatever they were looking for, and its made me less trusting to almost anyone. In fact, Im almost positive this particular person had a lot to do with theft identity, but cant prove it and by the time I paid the attorney for cleaning up that mess, could not afford to hire their p.i. to track down that culprit and press charges.
Unless someone asks you to look for something, which might mean going through an address book or phone, whatever, theres no reason to go through someone elses privacy.
Its different though, if someone is cheating and you know it but there are many ways you can find out.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 AM

62 posts, read 147,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
I think it depends on the situation whether it's okay to snoop. My hubby and I met when he was struggling with trying to leave homosexuality behind. When we first moved in together, he kept a journal. One day, he left his journal out OPEN and I read it. He wrote about some fantasies he had, and when he got home from work that day, I made him move out. I have a right to know if someone is hurting me. So I do not believe I was wrong to snoop in this case.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
There are reasons I choose to live alone and that is one of them. My roomies dont touch my stuff and I dont bother theirs, its plain and simple.

I so totally agree with that. I had a roommate years ago and I caught him going through my stuff. Needless to say he was out the door the next day.
There were other things that led up to it but that was the icing on the cake.
I think it's disrespectful to going rummaging through someones stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships