Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM

42 posts, read 276,059 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of women that wanted to be SAHMs and their husbands seem to be fine with that. However it looks like men become SAHDs out of necessity, financial issues...not by choice. I know there are men out there that want to stay at home but most men don't seem to dream about it like some women do.

While dating, would a guy that let it be known he wanted to be SAHD turn you off? Would it make him look like "less of a man" in your eyes? Would you want to date a guy like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Such a guy would repel most women, unless he was incredibly desirable, physically speaking.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 PM

102,214 posts, read 107,859,557 times
If I had a demanding but lucrative job, I'd be grateful for the help and support at home.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-15-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,919,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Such a guy would repel most women, unless he was incredibly desirable, physically speaking.
He'd have to be at legit 9.5+ (looks and personality) and absolutely unbelievable in bed for that to fly.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Depends on his definition of SAHD. If this means that he stays home, and I still need to come home and do all of the household chores? NO!

Provided there is a logical split of the in the home, parenting, and outside of the home duties, I am OK with it. But this assumes we have kids. Pre-kids....no way. I do think it is beneficial to have a stay ar home parent for the first 5 or so years. I wouldn't want to be that stay at home parent.

The best scenario? SAHD with a home based business. But being a permanent SAHD? No then it wouldn't work out. He wouldn't be driven enough for me.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
im a SAHD, i work from my home managing my own business. i cant speak for other people but my wife loves it. im here when she needs me and i get to see my child grown everyday instead of "when i have time"

my wife was actually surprised when i brought up that i thought it would be a beneficial choice for me to take care of the kids while she continues the career shes been with for over 7 years.
im no doormat, it was just the right thing to do given the circumstance.

honestly im not sure why it would bother anyone if it where for the right reasons. then again ive read a lot of silly things on CD lol
for the most part i just see people falling into the generic "gender roles" and working their lives around it instead of actually evaluating their circumstance.

that in mind, i wouldn't trust anyone who already had a plan in their minds about how life is going to be before they even get there. way too much projecting the future for me. anyways....i got off track this thread is for the ladies

Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
I wouldn't trust him. That isn't pc to admit and I'm a woman with a husband who works pt and does most of the housework. We came to this place due to circumstances not choice. He thought it would be so easy and he never valued all that I did until he had to do it. I think that's why I wouldn't trust a single childless man who had never done it and volunteered to be a sahd. I would think he was tying to be slick. If he had been a sahd in the past or had true full or joint custody of children from a prior relationship and demonstrated that he could do it I would be receptive. If we were both working and the children came along and he showed that he could do it that would be fine too. I just can't see meeting a single childless man and having him say that to me and me believing that he isn't trying to get over. Call m cynical.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,919,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
im a SAHD, i work from my home managing my own business. i cant speak for other people but my wife loves it. im here when she needs me and i get to see my child grown everyday instead of "when i have time"

my wife was actually surprised when i brought up that i thought it would be a beneficial choice for me to take care of the kids while she continues the career shes been with for over 7 years.

im no doormat, it was just the right thing to do given the circumstance.

honestly im not sure why it would bother anyone if it where for the right reasons. then again ive read a lot of silly things on CD lol

You don't really count as a stay at home dad then. I mean, you stay at home, but you work from home and contribute financially, so I wouldn't put you in the same category as other stay at home spouses who don't work and don't contribute financially.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
You don't really count as a stay at home dad then. I mean, you stay at home, but you work from home and contribute financially, so I wouldn't put you in the same category as other stay at home spouses who don't work and don't contribute financially.
i dont have to work.
my wife makes more then enough for us to live off of if need be. i work because i love what i do. im also not sure taking care of children and the house isn't "work" in itself. money is just another contribution to having a equal standing in a relationship

money doesn't make a healthy relationship, equality through effort does.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Ladies would you want to be with (and possibly marry) a guy that knew he wanted to be a stay at home dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
He'd have to be at legit 9.5+ (looks and personality) and absolutely unbelievable in bed for that to fly.
Some women don't think they should have to meet the same qualifications... Many of them don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships