Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:00 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times

Advertisements

In December 1979, I was in my last year of business college and working part time at a bakery. A week before Christmas, the German couple who owned it announced they had sold it, and introduced me to the new owner. He was a young guy (25 years old) - and to be honest, I thought he was a bit of a geek. We would chat every day - I told him that I was completing my classes and upon graduation that spring I would be enlisting in the Navy. I noticed that he hung around the front a lot when I was working, and my co-workers said he was interested in me, but he never pursued anything because it would have been employee fraternization. He just seemed interested in hearing about my classes, teachers, future plans, etc. I wasn't dating anyone seriously at the time, I was putting all my energy into finishing school and pursuing my future. We became really good friends.

That May, I passed my last final exam and was set to graduate. I came in to work, gave my two weeks notice, and he immediately asked me out. Turns out, he'd been wanting to do that for MONTHS. I agreed to go out with him, and our first date was May 25, 1980 (Memorial Day Sunday) - and it lasted TWELVE HOURS. He picked me up for tennis at 9:00 a.m., he stayed for my family's barbecue, and for pizza and beer my uncle brought that night. My mother kept asking me, "Is he STILL here?" He left at 9:00 p.m. It was only then that he kissed me - he hadn't made a romantic approach all day! The next year, we got married. Needless to say, I did not enlist in the Navy! We've been happily married for 31 years.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-26-2012 at 12:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:18 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
I remember seeing him at a party, but I don't think we talked. At a later date he bought a painting from me in Harvard Sq. Cambridge. He would stop and visit on his way to work and we became friends over time. About a year later we started dating. Hmmm...did I initially friend zone him? LOL

Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
We were on tour together with a musical - he was on the crew and I was in the cast. The cast and the crew met up with each other in Anchorage, Alaska - where we opened the show. Before I had even introduced myself to him - I went up to him, pinched his nipples, and ran off laughing. I still don't know why I did it! I was engaged at the time so I wasn't trying to meet anyone - but I sure made an impression on him! Within about 4 months, I had called off my wedding. We've been together ever since - 10 years and counting!

Old 05-26-2012, 01:52 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,307,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I remember seeing him at a party, but I don't think we talked. At a later date he bought a painting from me in Harvard Sq. Cambridge. He would stop and visit on his way to work and we became friends over time. About a year later we started dating. Hmmm...did I initially friend zone him? LOL
Yeah, I guess that brings in more revenue than buying a Tracy Chapman (also from Harvard Square, in a way) CD. So, you weren't initially attracted to him, but he grew on you...

This is her best work, better than "Fast Car:"

Tracy Chapman - Talkin bout a revolution - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yeah, I guess that brings in more revenue than buying a Tracy Chapman (also from Harvard Square, in a way) CD. So, you weren't initially attracted to him, but he grew on you...
I had a boyfriend when we met, but I developed a crush. And then I didn't want to relationship hop, so I took my time. But, I kept a framed post card of this by my bedside. My husband had a large print of it in his apartment and I found it to be striking, so that was my way of keeping him near in the interim.

Quote:
This is her best work, better than "Fast Car:"
It's beautiful.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:06 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,449,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I kept a framed post card of this by my bedside. My husband had a large print of it in his apartment and I found it to be striking, so that was my way of keeping him near in the interim.
The Sargent painting is one of my favorites at the Clark Art Institute.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
The Sargent painting is one of my favorites at the Clark Art Institute.
Yea, there's something about it. I had a grok moment with my husband due to it.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,905 times
I met my husband in a Yahoo chat room.

After a few minutes of crossing paths with a stream of perverts; I began shutting down the chat boxes that flooded my screen. That was until I got to one particular chat box. In it there was a simple message that read, "Hi, how are you?" At that moment I remember being gripped by a strong feeling dread, that if I closed the box I would regret it. Not closing that chat box was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
It's been several years later and he still greets me with a ,"Hi, how are you?" usually after a long day. We have no kids yet, mainly because I'm not ready to share his affections with anyone else and as horrid as that sounds, I'm glad to say neither is he. Although, we do plan on having our very own, Curtain Climber one of these fine days.
Signed: The wife of a Turk.

Last edited by Jane88; 12-28-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM

504 posts, read 849,826 times
Back in 1995, I started going to a local comic book shop when I was ~18. Became friends with my future husband, played Doom, Magic, D&D, etc and stayed friends until mid-1996. He calls late one night asking if I could come pick him up. So I did, and, well, here we are married almost 13 years and together since '96

Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,479 times
I remeber, I was at a bagel store. She was in a rush and fell over me, she apologized. I walked her back to her car and saw her a few weeks later at a friends party, we had fun and rocked hard. Later we went on like 45 dates and I proposed in Vienna at moonlight. We have been happily married 4 years, we had our first child 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships