Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:02 AM

308 posts, read 445,912 times

Advertisements

Of all places, working in McDonald's together way back in 1996. I was in college, she was still in hs. We hung out with a group of mutual friends from work for a while, started dating after knowing each other for about a year. We are married 14 years in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
A bar. 15 years ago. Zero regrets and could not be happier!

Old 11-27-2018, 11:35 PM

334 posts, read 1,282,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
In 1982, I was passing by a restaurant next to the interstate that runs through our town when I saw the car of a guy that I had previously dated. Being single and still interested in him, I stopped and went in "non-chalantly" and when I saw him pretended I had just happened to run into him. Mike was sitting alone, and I stopped at his table to talk. After a short conversation, he stammered.."hon, I'm waiting on someone" as to hurry me away before his date arrived. While we were talking, I had glanced around and saw a handsome young man sitting alone over in the corner. In an effort to "save face" and not let Mike know I came in just to see him, I said "oh, I am too...he's right over there", and I said goodbye. I calmly walked over to the young man in the corner and said quietly, "would you please pretend you know me for just a minute?" He was a little stunned, but answered with "sure" and I slid into the seat across from him. He proceeded to ask my name, and told me he was traveling from his hometown in Indiana back to his new home in Florida. Our conversation went a little further as we exchanged general information, and I never even noticed that Mike had already left. By the time I started to leave, this young man told me he would walk me out. We stopped by the cashier's desk and I challenged him to a quick arcade game of Donkey Kong, and PacMan. He walked me out, and asked he could have my number in case he was ever passing through again, and I obliged. By that time, I was really interested in him, so when he gave me a kiss goodnight, he had my head spinning. We said our goodbyes and I thought that was the end of it.

The next morning, he called me. I was surprised and asked if he had already gotten back to Florida. He answered..."I stayed all night here....and before I leave, I was wondering if I could see you again"...I was on my way church that morning (truthfully!) and I told him if he would wait until church was over, I'd love to see him. After church, he was at the same restaurant where we had met waiting patiently on me. He left after we had lunch and went back to Florida. We dated for two and a half years long distance, and he were married in the spring of 1985.

Here we are...almost twenty five years after that night of destiny, three kids later....and still TOTALLY in love.
Geez, this seems like I wrote this a long time ago. We are still going strong....working on 34 years. All the kids are grown and married, and we are retired grandparents of six wonderful kiddos. Who said it wouldn't last?

Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
I had the hots for my husband in high school. He had black hair, was tall and slim. He and his friends would hang out by those heaters on the wall that used steam heat. He was a bad boy, carousing and I was a studious bookworm. He never knew who I was.

Fast forward 7 years and I was working at my dream job after college and he was working in a warehouse. We met again at a dive bar that is now a parking lot. There were people dancing, drinking and picking up a date. It was hot and smoky and people were drunk. He and I started talking about what we were doing and he did remember me. We saw each other a few more times, dated on and off for 7 more years because he was afraid of commitments. We moved in together after 8 years, bought a home, got married and have a 30 year old daughter. He is my best friend and we have been married 36 years.

He was blue collar (machinist) and I am college educated but he is probably smarter, at least in the practical world than I am. He has silver rather than black hair but it is all there.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Our unit at work was getting two people fresh outta training class: a young, single woman and a guy. The boss picked me to mentor the woman, given that we were both single. The boss admitted that he was playing Cupid. In fact, he took credit for the romance between the woman who mentored me the previous year and her co-worker husband. They married during lunch hr. In the morning, she was Miss Buchanan, and that afternoon was Ms. Ridgely.

Anyway, my trainee and I got along well, had similar senses of humor, but no shared interests. We didn't hook-up romantically until two years later, and didn't marry until five years after that. We retired from the agency in our 50s after 30 yrs. service. Marriage lasted 40 yrs. until death separated us. She used to say that I was the best thing that happened to her, but the opposite was true.

It's interesting to note how people here warn against workplace romances. At my agency, romance and marriage were commonplace. Maybe it's because the place was so large with employee population see-saw-ing between 13,000 and 22,000 people. Maybe it's different in smaller work sites. I dunno.

But in retrospect, I have to admit that this ubiquitous romancing occurred chiefly in the 60s and 70s. From mid-80s-90s, people were more uptight, PC, and seemingly afraid to flirt. Also, it seemed that with downsizing, the population in the 80s-90s was older, with less young blood being hired. That wasn't the case in the earlier era.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Simple, wemet at work. Two nerds who went to lunch every day for about a month. Small company. It worked because I didn’t understand a thing he said, heavy British accent. It might have turned out different if it was an American accent that I could comprehend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships