Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times

Advertisements

I really wanted to title this "Have you ever felt like there's nothing for you where you've lived?" but I thought that'd be a bit too broad for the Relationships forum.

I've lived in the DC area since I was three years old. I'm almost 21 now. My immediate family lives here, I go to college here, my life basically revolves around here. And lately it's been feeling... stagnant. Those of you who've been reading my posts for a while know that I've had a tough time making friends and meeting people here. Some of y'all are even from around here as well, and I'm sure you all know somebody who feels the same way. I think the problem might be me, but I also really do think it has to do with this town. I've read plenty of posts from people who moved to DC and found it much harder to make friends and meet folks than in their hometowns.

Like, I was feeling pretty down last night and realized that if something bad happened to me, very few people would care. ****, I had appendicitis one time and while that's actually pretty insignificant, I got maybe three phone calls from people asking how I was doing. I feel like I'd take a bullet for almost anybody I consider a friend, but very few of my friends would take a bullet for me (in which case, they're not really friends eh?).

Don't even get me started on jobs. People say DC is replete with jobs... not so. It's better than other parts of the US, yes, but it's not like you can just apply to a bunch of places and hear back from half of them.

So long story short, I'm strongly considering moving after I finish college. I'd transfer if I had less credits but at this point I have 2.5 semesters left so I might as well git 'r done. Have any of you ever found that moving to a new place really helped you with regards to everything I just wrote about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM

460 posts, read 981,878 times
It will be much harder to meet people living in the suburbs. Do you live in an urban area or suburban area?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
It will be much harder to meet people living in the suburbs. Do you live in an urban area or suburban area?
Suburban college town.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,703 times
I moved from one rock to another rock and have made some decent friendships. I don't think the changing of location was the key to my luck. I made several changes to my inner and outer self and I think those translated into being the kind of person other's want to chill with.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I moved from one rock to another rock and have made some decent friendships. I don't think the changing of location was the key to my luck. I made several changes to my inner and outer self and I think those translated into being the kind of person other's want to chill with.
I don't think moving can hurt, but a lot of people seem to forget the "wherever you go, there you are" aspect. You may not escape the same problems you had at your previous location because your personality, behavior, and outlook haven't changed.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
I think it would probably be good for you, Hurri. It wont guarantee dates galore, but maybe you can get a fresh start in your head.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times
When it comes to friendships, moving away from my college buddies was tough. I've been here 3 years now and still have relatively few friends. Meeting friends when you're in the professional world is significantly different than meeting them in a school environment.

That said, moving did wonders for dating. It was the final push I needed to try online dating. I never ran into the horror stories other people have had with it. I met plenty of fun, interesting people. Not only that, but I met my current girlfriend and it looks like we'll be making the BIG step soon!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 AM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
I don't think I would go through the whole hassle ( and expense ) of moving just to meet new friends. It doesn't going to work. If you didn't made a good friends in one place, I doubt you will make them in another location.
You should evaluate the situation and find out why your have crappy friends that don't care, and where is the problem.
If you are thinking about moving to another city after you finish college, then apply for a job first and make sure you will get one when you move there. With a new job you will make a whole different bunch of friends.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't think I would go through the whole hassle ( and expense ) of moving just to meet new friends. It doesn't going to work. If you didn't made a good friends in one place, I doubt you will make them in another location.
You should evaluate the situation and find out why your have crappy friends that don't care, and where is the problem.
If you are thinking about moving to another city after you finish college, then apply for a job first and make sure you will get one when you move there. With a new job you will make a whole different bunch of friends.
In all fairness though, DC is 'unique'. I live here too and it is a strange mix of power-hungry ladder-climbers, 'hotties' and 'not-so-hotties' who want the alphas mentioned previously, and the trashy uneducated crowd who are busy thrusting/riding, cranking out babies, and/or shooting each other to pieces. Normal, average, 'decent' guys simply do not blend well in this toxic environment and thus do not do well with women.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
I have always heard that DC was one of the worst places for meeting someone, and especially for a man looking for a woman. Is that true? My business carries me all over the place in the West and there are definitively some places that are better than others. Sometimes it's age dependant, sometimes theres just not a good place to meet someone, sometimes it's money dependant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships