Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times

Advertisements

You know, I think I am unique in this perspective, but i could never figure out how one looks for marriage or a LTR. I mean, wouldnt the process still involve dating plenty of people and eventualy choosing a partner you are compatible with? I was supposed to go on a blind date with supposedly an attractive woman that my family members set me up with (i hate blind dates because of the fact that i didnt pick the date itself), but just days before said date, this woman decided to contact me via family member to let me know that she was looking for something serious with me. I immediately canceled the date and have never bothered to follow up. How can be she looking to get serious with me if we havent even met? Its just such an insane turn off to me and screams of desperation. Why not date around and keep things light and breezy, and if you finaly find that right person, than push things toward something more serious. Ive also had a guy friend, who one day decided to get married, went to a club and was married within a week. Could never figure that one either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 AM

684 posts, read 824,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I'm 30ish - lots of money - cars - boats - etc... Have a house and a good job. Can't find a girl for the life of me. My best years of sex have gone by me without a single romp in the bed room. I don't want a one night stand, or friends with benefits.
Having money is wonderful and opens up many new venues of experience.

However, and this is very important to remember: Power lies not in wealth, but in the things it can afford.

You own boats: Are you part of a yachting club? Have you tried to meet people there? How do you dress? How do you carry yourself?

Women don't want money, though many are attracted to wealth. The many who are attracted to wealth are actually attracted to the type of person who makes money. This can be an alpha personality, someone brilliant, someone with a talent for music or sports, someone with ambition and drive, and some are even attracted to the devil-may-care casual attitude towards wealth that those who are born with it can sometimes have.

It sounds to me like you're defining yourself by your wealth, which lowers your social standing among others as it makes you seem like the only thing you have to offer is wealth, which as mentioned women generally aren't obsessed with(Despite what many say).

That is never true.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:38 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Two causes immediately come to mind. One is that women are economicaly independent in today's society and don't need a man to support them. Second is that today's society has become amoral and there is no societal stigma attached to casual sex outside of marriage, therefore no need for commitment. I don't say this is good, just that it is.

And maybe since the women are economically independent, the older ones do not want to jump back into the second job that is marriage. The cooking, grocery shopping, dishes, cleaning, laundry merry go round. I see why the older gents want to get married...they're tired of doing all that work!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Another key factor, is deciding you want a family. That was my main motivation in seeking a serious relationship.
The age that hits people can vary greatly from person to person.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Having money is wonderful and opens up many new venues of experience.

However, and this is very important to remember: Power lies not in wealth, but in the things it can afford.

You own boats: Are you part of a yachting club? Have you tried to meet people there? How do you dress? How do you carry yourself?

Women don't want money, though many are attracted to wealth. The many who are attracted to wealth are actually attracted to the type of person who makes money. This can be an alpha personality, someone brilliant, someone with a talent for music or sports, someone with ambition and drive, and some are even attracted to the devil-may-care casual attitude towards wealth that those who are born with it can sometimes have.

It sounds to me like you're defining yourself by your wealth, which lowers your social standing among others as it makes you seem like the only thing you have to offer is wealth, which as mentioned women generally aren't obsessed with(Despite what many say).

That is never true.
Power doesnt lie in wealth or the the things it can afford. Women arent even attracted to power itself. Women are attracted to men who attain power to finaly allow themselves to BEHAVE in a way thats attractive to women. There is a substantial difference between the two. The truth is, neither wealth nor power are necessary for a man to behave in that fashion, which is something you seem to highlight in your post. Its rare for anyone to have this insight, so rep to you.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I'm 30ish - lots of money - cars - boats - etc... Have a house and a good job. Can't find a girl for the life of me. My best years of sex have gone by me without a single romp in the bed room. I don't want a one night stand, or friends with benefits.
Sounds like you never developed the right social skills.

People who have wealth don't go parading it around in order to get women... It will attract the wrong types.

Anyone can borrow money for toys etc....

Few can develop the real confidence it takes to frequently meet women

Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Honestly they're both lovely blokes, not ugly or fat or anything at all, just your typical gormless aussie blokes who do not have a clue when it comes to women.
that's the key right there. in a lot of the english-speaking "WASP" countries, there are a lot of taboos about how men are supposed to go about attracting women.

it's amusing, as a male you're expected to just "be charming", effortlessly without planning or thought, and that anything else is shameful. The standard advice on how to attract women is to simply "be yourself," as if making an effort to be charming was somehow less authentically you.

i say "english speaking WASP", because growing up in the american south it was very obvious that black kids were simply not playing by the same rules as us white kids. They were not encumbered by this vacuous idea of "Be Yourself." Where I'm from the black boys learn how to hit on girls starting around age 7, and a much wider variety of methods are seen as "socially acceptable." In my mind this is definitely a cultural thing.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
They want someone to be there mother at that age. Plain and simple. Keep the house clean, cook for them, cut the crust of the edges of their sandwich. Maybe a little companionship. Sex becomes less important as a man gets old and stops producing as much testosterone. Sounds like a nightmare. I think your older single women friends figured it out.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I'm seeing both men and women looking here in NYC. I have friends in the 30-40 range mainly and the ones that are single seem to have been single forever and are constantly crying they can't find someone.

Out of all of them, I know for a fact 3 of them are extremely picky, 2 of them don't work their assets, and 1 just tries to outright lie to get girls.

It's also funny because supposedly the ratio here is something insane like 5 women to every 1 guy. Yet I think I have more single male friends than female ones.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
In this area, there seems to be about 20 single women between 30-45 for every guy in that same age range. (I don't know what the true stats are but if the single men do exist, they are very well hidden). Men are also very passive when it comes to dating. I hear a lot of complaints about the lack of quality men around here from the women, and how great the dating scene is here from the men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships