Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times

Advertisements

I have a question directed mostly to the women here. To my knowledge, most women are okay with terms of endearment/pet names from their significant others. But what about other guys? I have many close female friends, some I've been friends with for 10+ years, and I tend to use "non-suggestive" terms of endearment towards them. For example, calling them kid, beautiful, or sister. Like "Hey beautiful!" or "Thanks, sister." Or more jokingly calling them doll, darlin', sweetheart, or even toots if it's in a way where I'm clearly kidding around. When I call them these things I'm always genuine, even if I am kidding by calling them toots, or something really dumb like hot stuff (Hey there, hot stuff!). It just makes more sense to me to say "Thanks, doll" to a friend I've had for 19 years than just "Thanks."

I treat my male friends the same way by calling them pal, brother, guy, and more patronizing names like slugger or champ if I want to razz them a bit (all in good fun of course). My group of friends is extremely tight-knit, and calling them nicknames/pet names never feels inappropriate to me.

I would never use any of these names with a person I wasn't really close with, like at work or to hit on someone. And I don't use them condescendingly either. I've just alway been someone who calls everyone by a nickname/pet name/shortened versions of their real name, and I like it when I get called those things as well. Makes me feel accepted or close to that person, but I know not everyone feels the way I do. I just want to make sure I'm not coming off like a douche-bag, especially when I really do care about these people and that's how I tend to show it. So, what do you guys think? Any women like, hate, or indifferent to pet names coming from a male friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Use elephant tusk, next time.

Or, simply, elephant. How about "Hey my cute little elephant"

It does look cute.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_J9PlRvGGXS..._elephant2.jpg

Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Use elephant tusk, next time.

Or, simply, elephant. How about "Hey my cute little elephant"
Been there, done that. Didn't go over as well as you'd think.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
Hate it. Hate it so much. It makes me so uncomfortable and makes me feel like the person saying it doesn't view me as an equal.

I had a coworker who used to say things like that. He probably said it to everyone, but when he called me "kid" (he was 4-5 years older than me) it just made me feel like an idiot. If a close friend was calling me "beautiful" or "hot stuff", I'd be incredibly uncomfortable. I'm married, it's no one else's place to call me that besides my husband. Hopefully I'd be comfortable asking them to stop.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:51 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,162,884 times
I had a very, very good friend who called me "kiddo" well I didn't really mind. He was like 50 and well I was in my 20's. I suppose - I was a kid to him. Haha.

The Hot Stuff, blah. Don't care for it... And Toots? Nope, I'd whack ya upside the head with that one!
---

The Elephant is cute - BTW......

Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
The Hot Stuff, blah. Don't care for it... And Toots? Nope, I'd whack ya upside the head with that one!
Well like I said, using those is just a joke and I always get a joke in return. I would never seriously call anyone toots, haha. You gotta remember, these are women I've known most of my life so they know when I'm messing around and when I'm not.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times
Most I get from male friends is "kiddo" and "hon".

Then again I use "hon" a lot to my friends in general.

Otherwise I guess it would depend on the friend and which words are used. Some should only be reserved from my BF and not a friend.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM

19,407 posts, read 15,231,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I would never use any of these names with a person I wasn't really close with, like at work or to hit on someone. And I don't use them condescendingly either. I've just alway been someone who calls everyone by a nickname/pet name/shortened versions of their real name, and I like it when I get called those things as well. Makes me feel accepted or close to that person, but I know not everyone feels the way I do. I just want to make sure I'm not coming off like a douche-bag, especially when I really do care about these people and that's how I tend to show it. So, what do you guys think? Any women like, hate, or indifferent to pet names coming from a male friend?
I'm the same way. I don't mind it, and I actually like it, as long as the person is close enough of a friend, or I've known them long enough and it's obvious we hit it off together. And, like Torn2pieces mentioned, if it's someone quite a bit older, it usually seems pretty innocent enough. Like I said, it depends on the person saying it.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Like other posters have said - it depends on who is saying it. If one of my really good friends calls me "sweetie" in a nice way - that's fine. If someone I don't like calls me "sweetie" in a condescending way - well, that really chaps my hide! I think what you are describing among your friends seems pretty organic and comfortable - not anything I'd worry about. Some of my friends and I have nicknames and pet names for each other - and with others I don't.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I call everyone by terms of endearment, men and women, if I am close to them. "Sweets," "punkin," "babydoll," whatever. But my friends all do that too. I've had so many nicknames it's ridiculous. My cousin calls everyone "Hon." I dunno, I think this might be a Jersey thing. I've noticed that this is mainly people who grew up in my area. My friends from other parts of the country do not seem to do this as much.

But when I'm with a guy, he inevitably becomes "Babe" after things turn sexual. Along with any other nicknames I might come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships