Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times

Advertisements

When they do though.. They STILL marry up

What women really want: to marry a rich man - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You mentioned that more women are in the business and corporate world now. There have been articles telling how women in higher ranks wonder why they can't find a man. It explains they can, but want to find a man in their career class on a level or higher than theirs.

That means boss lady isn't willing to marry down to the people under her in the office. She's not interested in the clerk, only someone the same rank or higher. It also means she waited into her mid to late 30's to look for a husband but still expects to reel in the top of the heap of men to have kids with.
Sorry, guess I'm a freak of nature. I have a white-collar job and mostly date blue-collar guys. I'm looking for someone who balances me, not someone who's necessarily looking to rocket up the corporate ladder.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post

But many woman I have met openly want to settle down but cannot find anyone? Does financial independence create an unrealistic expectation or raise the bar too high when looking for a life partner?
They're looking for that undefined spark. They're looking for the man that can make them laugh within the 2 mins of meeting; the man that has a personality that won't stop; the man that makes them feel butterflies in their stomachs; the man that knows he needs to pay for the first 3 dates; the man that is just right.

But that's only a part of the list. So what you have is women who continue to search and search for the man that meets the requirements from the list. Many guys will be turned down bc they don't meet the requirements. It's a vicious cycle that keeps repeating itself.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Sorry, guess I'm a freak of nature. I have a white-collar job and mostly date blue-collar guys. I'm looking for someone who balances me, not someone who's necessarily looking to rocket up the corporate ladder.
My dear, you're like many women here on CD that say, "Well, I don't do that". Ok. But your cohorts with the white collar jobs aren't typically looking to date so called blue collar guys unless said guy owns the blue collar company.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

I'm only relaying what I read in a couple articles one that was posted in this forum a couple years ago, which may not relate to everybody but a certain percentage enough.

Personally I think money matters too much to people in this world. I understand it is a concern specially when things are rough but I remind myself of the Greek fisherman who lives humble yet happy and how others try to tell him he should work work work to build a fishing boat empire so he can retire to then have time to enjoy life and spend time with friends and family and he says "I already have that".

Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
I'm only relaying what I read in a couple articles one that was posted in this forum a couple years ago, which may not relate to everybody but a certain percentage enough.

Personally I think money matters too much to people in this world. I understand it is a concern specially when things are rough but I remind myself of the Greek fisherman who lives humble yet happy and how others try to tell hum he should work work work to build a fishing empire so he can retire to have time to enjoy life and he says "I already have that".
I have no problem admitting I'm an odd duck

Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Someone should not have to settle.

But many woman I have met openly want to settle down but cannot find anyone? Does financial independence create an unrealistic expectation or raise the bar too high when looking for a life partner?
You said it. Someone should not have to settle. Financial independence creates a reality not of unrealistic expectations but that women can have expectations of marrying the kind of man she desires and dosent have to settle because she has to marry someone to be someone. Before, being married to anyone was better than not being married.

This really is no different than many men before women became financially independent. A financially independent man could set the bar of what he would except in a spouse. The more financially independent he was the greater his expectations could be. And he could get what he wanted because women were not able to do this. The best they could do is become an extention of someone else. When both sides are able to set the bar, financial independence dosent work out quite the same and people set that bar a little too high and never get what they want.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
You mentioned that more women are in the business and corporate world now. There have been articles telling how women in higher ranks wonder why they can't find a man. It explains they can, but want to find a man in their career class on a level or higher than theirs.

That means boss lady isn't willing to marry down to the people under her in the office. She's not interested in the clerk, only someone the same rank or higher. It also means she waited into her mid to late 30's to look for a husband but still expects to reel in the top of the heap of men to have kids with.
Yup. I even recall a similar discussion that I had with a female co-worker. When I mentioned that xyz was available and interested in her, her response was "why would I be with someone who makes as much as I do? If he can't do more for me than I can for myself, why would I be with him?" Needless to say, I was shocked considering we both had pretty good salaries. I actually brought this up with a few other female friends and with others on message boards, and it did get a majority support from other women.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
I'm curious, but I'd almost bet money if a chart/venn diagram was made correlating these workforce stats with pet shops sales i'm sure you'd find similar demographics around where the graphs peaked/merged.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yup. I even recall a similar discussion that I had with a female co-worker. When I mentioned that xyz was available and interested in her, her response was "why would I be with someone who makes as much as I do? If he can't do more for me than I can for myself, why would I be with him?" Needless to say, I was shocked considering we both had pretty good salaries. I actually brought this up with a few other female friends and with others on message boards, and it did get a majority support from other women.
So is there a problem with women wanting an equal wage earner. Just because men don’t care if his life partner makes and equal salary or even works doesn’t men women want to make that same mistake. Most high earning professional women want more than arm candy. But not all women have such expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships