Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
There is nothing weird about you and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

Guilt and compassion are feelings you can control.
So unless you WANT to feel them, for whatever reason, you won't.
You have to convince yourself that what you're doing is wrong if you want to feel bad about it.
Nothing weird? Wrong is wrong as defined by society and the happenings around us..if one chooses to be apathetic this is their choice but this is not the "norm"

For instance, you hear about people dying or getting tortured on the News everyday. Since you don't want to feel like **** every time you watch the news, you can simply choose not to feel anything for them.
wow..really? This is not essentially meaning this person does not know the meaning of compassion this means that the individual is desensitized nothing more nothing less. And yes this is the choice, becoming apathetic..JUST because one cannot do a thing about the ills of the world does not mean ONE can not exhibit the compassion or sadness of those that have lost their lives..

On the other hand, you might choose to feel bad for slaughtered animals or kids in Africa because you know that knowing you're doing something to help them makes you feel good and righteous.
It has nothing to do with being good and righteous it has all to do with being human, do not twist the meaning..

As long as you are able to feel positive emotions and try to keep out of trouble, I don't really see an issue here.

If, for whatever reason, you want to become more empathetic, I think the best way is to watch movies or read books where the main character suffers because of other people; if you can manage to put yourself in their shoes, that might help you do so with people in real life as well.
I am so glad that you are in the minority..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 PM

15 posts, read 15,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
"Name That Disorder."
I don't know. I'm not a psychologist.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzgirl9 View Post
I don't know. I'm not a psychologist.
Hmm. yet you pose a very elementary essay in your query...?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,811 times
Quote:
True. I still find it funny when others cry at films like that.
To me, they can put all horrible disaster for all I care and it will still not make me breakdown. The world is gonna be the same, just with lesser people but it'll still be functioning.
Uh yeah I was the same way when I was a teenager. They could play boring WW2 movies all day and it didn't phase me a bit because it was a time that I couldn't relate to and also I just wanted to know what was for lunch.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
If, for whatever reason, you want to become more empathetic, I think the best way is to watch movies or read books where the main character suffers because of other people; if you can manage to put yourself in their shoes, that might help you do so with people in real life as well.
I'll try that. I guess I'll have to keep focusing on why the main character is suffering and keep on thinking about it for a moment and somehow relate to it.

What's the saddest book you can think of since movies don't work out?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Hmm. yet you pose a very elementary essay in your query...?
Well that's basic words anyone knows of. If you were different from others and was convinced there was something wrong with you for a long time but didn't know why nor what it is, wouldn't you wonder too?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 PM

254 posts, read 316,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Nothing weird? Wrong is wrong as defined by society and the happenings around us..if one chooses to be apathetic this is their choice but this is not the "norm"
There is no point in following society's standards for normalcy.

A few decades ago, being gay was considered "weird."
Go back a few more decades and being atheist was considered "weird" (it still is in many places actually).
Not having kids was considered "weird."
Shaving one's beard was considered "weird."

Stop calling people weird. There are no "weird" people.

Quote:
wow..really? This is not essentially meaning this person does not know the meaning of compassion this means that the individual is desensitized nothing more nothing less. And yes this is the choice, becoming apathetic..JUST because one cannot do a thing about the ills of the world does not mean ONE can not exhibit the compassion or sadness of those that have lost their lives..
I'm not sure what's your point. Just because one doesn't cry when they hear about a Tsunami in Japan on the News doesn't mean they won't send a text to help the victims. They don't do it because they feel bad about the Japanese, but because knowing they're helping someone makes people feel good about themselves.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being good and righteous it has all to do with being human, do not twist the meaning..
You are the one projecting your own, subjective values upon everybody else.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 AM

254 posts, read 316,283 times
Quote:
I'll try that. I guess I'll have to keep focusing on why the main character is suffering and keep on thinking about it for a moment and somehow relate to it.

What's the saddest book you can think of since movies don't work out?
That depends on what you find sad. What would make you the saddest?

Relationships that don't work out (perhaps because of you)?
Friends and family dying?
Suicidal thoughts?

You can also try alternative forms of media, like Anime or Manga; for some people (including me) it's easier to relate to 2D characters than people in real life. That's how I get my dose of drama.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
That depends on what you find sad. What would make you the saddest?

Relationships that don't work out (perhaps because of you)?
Friends and family dying?
Suicidal thoughts?
Being poor and being thrown on the streets. Yes, it would suck if my family die. I'll have no one to talk to and my mother wouldn't be there to cook for me anymore and I wouldn't know a thing about how to run a house nor how to manage bills.
Quote:
You can also try alternative forms of media, like Anime or Manga; for some people (including me) it's easier to relate to 2D characters than people in real life. That's how I get my dose of drama.
Ok, I'll try it. I guess some people just react more while others like me either takes a while or has to watch something specific.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
There is no point in following society's standards for normalcy.

A few decades ago, being gay was considered "weird."
Go back a few more decades and being atheist was considered "weird" (it still is in many places actually).
Not having kids was considered "weird."
Shaving one's beard was considered "weird."

Stop calling people weird. There are no "weird" people.
I guess I should have stated whjat is considered the norm as far as feeling compassion, would you like me to post stats..I agree with the early point of your post..I worded this wrong.

I'm not sure what's your point. Just because one doesn't cry when they hear about a Tsunami in Japan on the News doesn't mean they won't send a text to help the victims. They don't do it because they feel bad about the Japanese, but because knowing they're helping someone makes people feel good about themselves.
This is irrevelant I stated nothing about crying and so forth but the ability to feel compassion do not get it twisted..

You are the one projecting your own, subjective values upon everybody else.
Not on everybody..I can supply articles that are legit to speak on these issues and can state..there is something seriously wrong with those that can feel empathetic with others..I am not being subjective, if anything I am being real..anything else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships