Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,827,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
My biological father passed away from brain cancer when I was very young. My step-father who was very abusive committed suicide. Thankfully before he hurt anyone else. So I was primarily raised by my mother and sister, and they taught me how to treat women with love and respect and I am a much better person today because of it.
I hope my son can say the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,776,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I hope my son can say the same.
I hope the same for him

Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,827,040 times
Quote:
I hope the same for him
Thank-you.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:19 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,443,875 times
i was raised by my mother and also lived with two older sisters. it was female influence overload for me growing up.
the only way i can even remotely think of it affecting me is i had a better understanding of the opposite sex and because of this tended to gravitate towards them for affection, admiration and friendship.

whatever any other male had to think growing up, i had little care for.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,725,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Fathers are overrated anyhow screw em.

well people act like the world can't go on without them in every child's life, yet it manages to keep spinning somehow.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,504,300 times
Quote:
My biological father passed away from brain cancer when I was very young. My step-father who was very abusive committed suicide. Thankfully before he hurt anyone else. So I was primarily raised by my mother and sister, and they taught me how to treat women with love and respect and I am a much better person today because of it.
Of course they will teach you how to treat women with love and respect. That is not what they mean though. They teach you how to be a 'Nice Guy' and that is why nice guys finish last.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 PM

37,565 posts, read 45,928,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Fathers are definately not overrated.

I wish I had more of a "normal" father, but I see the man for what he is. I think that the more people in a childs life, the better.... father, brothers, I think young men need a mans influence.

No offense moms, but a young man needs a man to set him right when he needs it...
I don't see anything to take offense to. I agree with you 100%.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,776,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Of course they will teach you how to treat women with love and respect. That is not what they mean though. They teach you how to be a 'Nice Guy' and that is why nice guys finish last.
I can think of a whole lot of worse things to be in life than a "nice guy"... and I never finish last

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,590 times
I didn't have a father growing up. I didn't meet him until I was 8, and even then I was limited to seeing him on Sundays. To add insult to injury, my mom was bipolar and socially inept, so I struggled socially for most of my life. I feel like I've reached normal in my early 30's, where most people achieve it in their teens.

As far as having issues in a relationship, I was a doormat for a long time. Whether or not that comes from my upbringing or my social idiosyncracies I do not know. I've only had a few serious relationships in my life.

I saw one post about someone worrying about their son being too feminine. I will admit that I do have feminine tendencies at times, but I am as male as they come - I watch and coach sports, I enjoy toilet humor, and I love beer. I do at times get sentimental or gushy at times, but like I said before I still act like a typical male.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,503,619 times
I've always been told (and heard) that you better be careful dating women that had no father figure in their life. I dont know if it's true or not but most of the crazy women that ive known or dated, had no father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships