Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
You still feel damaged from your childhood. You avoid intimacy- a close relationship- because you don't want others see that you're damaged. You have trust issues because the people you loved first- your parents- broke your heart.

You need to heal your broken heart before you trust anyone else with it.

Best wishes~

~l~
It's a long journey, but its worth it. You guys give a lot of great support. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
What do you mean by a hostile environment?

If you don't like yourself, you're going to have problems getting with women. (And Chris Rock with dreads doesn't exactly sound unappealing.)

I was with a guy like you. Except he was in his 40s. You don't want to go that long with this mindset. The guy I used to date missed out on so much because he couldn't accept the fact that he deserved to be loved. He was a sweet, funny, intelligent man, but he'd spent his life with women who never valued him. But, then again, I'm not sure if they didn't value him from the beginning or if they simply adopted his mindset about himself. He had a drinking problem, and before that a drug problem.

See a shrink. If you can't afford it, contact someplace like Carrier Clinic to ask about counseling groups that only charge on a sliding scale. Hashing through this on your own is going to be tricky, but you need to do it. Otherwise, you will be vulnerable to a lot of things - not the least of which would be women who are more looking for a man they can control or manipulate. Or you'll get women who are actually pretty nice people and exhaust them with your self-doubts.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM

(And Chris Rock with dreads doesn't exactly sound unappealing.)

AW! DAMMIT!!!!

Thanks for dashing my hopes.

Perhaps I should find a cave.

I can always cross my eyes, I guess.

I may look like Chris rock, but I don't sound like him (I sound more like Barry White).

See a shrink.

Well I am rather tall. LOL!

Okay, okay, I understand what you are saying, though. Good words. Good words. You can quit choking me now.

I don't know if it is more self doubt, or that I'm just a grouch!

What do you mean by a hostile environment?

I mean HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT. Blood, guts, drugs. My father actually became two-face. Get the picture?

TJENKINS 602'S LIFE

Rated NC-17

For drug use, cursing, swearing, faces getting ripped off and a shot of a child getting thrown through the window hitting his head on a brick.

Last edited by TJenkins602; 08-06-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
People should be happy with themselves before they try to find someone else.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
People should be happy with themselves before they try to find someone else.
Exactly! I agree.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM

161 posts, read 394,988 times
I don't think you're a weirdo - I can see where you are coming from. I felt like that all the time in college - I almost preferred a guy didn't like me back, because I thought it would be SCARY if he did - like what would happen? I had no idea what you're supposed to do... just because I'm not very experienced in that area. I'm not a commitment phobe but I think the novelty of it all can seem a bit overwhelming or intimidating sometimes especially for newbies. It comes down to risk aversion--we don't want to get hurt. We don't like uncertainty. When you frame it that way, of course we can all relate to that.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:51 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
My life is passing me by. I never got with a girl because I was always in a hostile environment. I've finally escaped when I turned 24, (LOL). Now, I'm in another unfavorable situation (still safe, just...broke)

I've never really asked a lady out, not because I am afraid of her saying no, but I am afraid of her saying yes. I guess I'm afraid that somewhere down the line, she will realize that I am pathetic and then leave me. At least if I knew a woman would say no, I would initiate a quick conversation and then move on after the "rejection."

Now, I am a very good looking man. Think Chris Rock with Dreads. That is only slightly less attractive than Shrek with Jheri Curls, or Quasi Moto with an Afro. So why am I more afraid of acceptance than rejection?

I'm just being real and sharing (some laughs).

But yeah, I am really more afraid of acceptance than rejection.

Can anyone relate, or am I a weirdo? (Please tell me that I'm a weirdo)
You're a wierdo. Maybe you are pathetic. Shouldnt stop you though. Maybe she is more pathetic than you? There are plenty of couples out there that are from bad situations. Stop blaming life and get out there and get that thing wet.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:57 PM

209 posts, read 304,311 times
This thread is hilarious!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoor54 View Post
I don't think you're a weirdo - I can see where you are coming from. I felt like that all the time in college - I almost preferred a guy didn't like me back, because I thought it would be SCARY if he did - like what would happen? I had no idea what you're supposed to do... just because I'm not very experienced in that area. I'm not a commitment phobe but I think the novelty of it all can seem a bit overwhelming or intimidating sometimes especially for newbies. It comes down to risk aversion--we don't want to get hurt. We don't like uncertainty. When you frame it that way, of course we can all relate to that.
Aw, you are so sweet. I think I'm more afraid of hurting her, than I am of being hurt. I would rather her be the one that cheats on me than vice versa. That feeling of knowing you have betrayed someone. (shivers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
You're a wierdo. Maybe you are pathetic. Shouldnt stop you though. Maybe she is more pathetic than you? There are plenty of couples out there that are from bad situations. Stop blaming life and get out there and get that thing wet.
I like your mentality. So what? Maybe you are pathetic,(Not YOU, you) maybe you are a loser, it's not the end of the world. (and I'll be saying that on January 1 2013, MARK MY WORDS YOU 2012 DOOMSAYERS!!!!)

Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,224 times
Work on not letting your past define you. You have a sense of humor and that is a wonderful thing to have. It sure beats being bitter or hardened. Sure you've had some jacked up experiences, but I am pretty sure that is not all you're about. If someone rejects you because of your past, that's on them. There are lots of amazing and kind women out there who will be able to see past your past. Your past does not define you.

A favorite quote of mine is: Damaged people are dangerous because they know how to survive. You've made it through so get out there and start living and loving.

I am pulling for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships