Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times

Advertisements

My 4th wedding anniversary is coming up next week.

Hubs seems interested and excited to spend time together and get out of town.

I think anniversaries are important to guys as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:39 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Your previous commitment is a work related event you are expected to attend.
Not really. She said she RSVP'd to work events which implies that she had a choice to go or not. One is a dinner, presumably after work hours.

I don't have an issue with celebrating the day before or after, but if my SO showed such disregard by not even checking with me, that would be an issue.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,200 times
i'd be bent out of shape too, especially if you didn't at least check with me first

if i were you i'd cancel the work thing

three years ain't chopped liver

Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My So is very into anniversaries and we always celebrate our first meeting by going out and repeating that first date. And I love it that he wants to keep these memories and celebrate us finding each other.
What's not to celebrate? It isn't every day you're found by the love of your life when you finally decided what you didn't want, how you didn't want to go about finding it, and prayed for maybe just one more chance at real love as opposed to what you merely thought was love. Then, bingo!---you found me!

Why shouldn't I want to celebrate that as best I can?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,218 times
Isn't that sweet. Nice. I can hope for the same one day! I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM

640 posts, read 717,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Wondering how guys would feel if on their anniversary their gf/wife had a work event pop up last minute?

I just found out my boss (VP) will be in town Monday next week, which is our 3 year anniversary. I dont know if my boyfriend had something planned or not, but I already RSVP for dinner and some work activities that day. It's not that the anniversary slipped my mind, but I figured we could do it another day. I just got off the phone with my bf and he seemed bent out of shape about it.

Any advice here? Should I cancel on the work function I already RSVP'd to?
Any good man recognizes that he is a partner in a relationship...events will occur that, for the long term improvement of a relationship will necessarily be and should be prioritized over short term, immediate gratification...

Old 08-09-2012, 12:24 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
Any good man recognizes that he is a partner in a relationship...events will occur that, for the long term improvement of a relationship will necessarily be and should be prioritized over short term, immediate gratification...
And yet has nothing to do with the fact that she made the decision to prioritize the work event over the anniversary without talking to the guy first. If she had said hey this work deal is important can we do dinner another night then cool. But she made that choice without him which is not going to work.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 AM

640 posts, read 717,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
And yet has nothing to do with the fact that she made the decision to prioritize the work event over the anniversary without talking to the guy first. If she had said hey this work deal is important can we do dinner another night then cool. But she made that choice without him which is not going to work.
Absolutely. I was reffering to the concept in general...specifically, in reference to the OP, she completely screwed the pooch...

Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,956,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Isn't he already upset with you for not wanting to spend more.time with him during the week? Did you not stop to think that blowing off your anniversary might be a bad idea? Sounds rather selfish to me. You could have asked him first, and possibly compromised.
I didn't read all 6 pages as i got this far. I agree with the quoted post.
I have never had a relationship with someone that we didn't celebrate the year anniversery each time. I don't go overboard with that stuff, but IMO, if you don't care enough about the relationship to at least discuss it with him, I would think that there are major problems with the relationship. You RSVP'ing without discussing it would be a huge red flag for me.
I learned the hard way, if a woman just isn't into the typcial romantic holiday's (valenines day, 1 year anniverseries) she probably isn't that interested in the relationship.
Now, I am not by any means speaking for you or all women here, but as I mentioned above, every time I was in a relationship that lasted a year or more, we always did something to celebrate valentines day and the year marks.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 AM

37,586 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Wondering how guys would feel if on their anniversary their gf/wife had a work event pop up last minute?

I just found out my boss (VP) will be in town Monday next week, which is our 3 year anniversary. I dont know if my boyfriend had something planned or not, but I already RSVP for dinner and some work activities that day. It's not that the anniversary slipped my mind, but I figured we could do it another day. I just got off the phone with my bf and he seemed bent out of shape about it.

Any advice here? Should I cancel on the work function I already RSVP'd to?
It wouldn't matter to me. I don't get all excited about that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships