Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
WOuld you care to expand on that? DO you see take charge type of man, as someone who is only sometimes controlling, as in when needed?
No controlling. Controlling to me is not allowing her to do what she wants. Doing whatever you want.

Taking charge is making decisions, as necessary, taking her opinions in to consideration.

Better? It's hard to explain. I just know it when I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
No controlling. Controlling to me is not allowing her to do what she wants. Doing whatever you want.

Taking charge is making decisions, as necessary, taking her opinions in to consideration.

Better? It's hard to explain. I just know it when I see it.
thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
For the last few weeks, Ive been dating a 24 year old girl, who is beautiful,intelligent, talented, feminine, warm and sensual. At first, we both looked at it as strictly a hook up type of situation, with occasional sex, but I think it may be progressing to something more. Recently she told me that she is looking for a take charge type of man, and is tired of dating boys. Can you please define what a take charge type of man would mean to you, when it comes to a relationship? How would it differ from a controlling man for example?

p.s. the title should read "ladies, what does a man who takes charge in a relationship, mean to you?
To me, "take charge" means in control of their own life, not everyone else's. Someone who is goal-oriented, has purpose and drive, is mature, not afraid to make a decision.

A controlling man is actually a weak person himself who looks to boost his ego/self-perception by controlling others.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
I sort of dont want to, because I dont think that would be well received, in many different ways.
I agree. Asking "What do you mean by that" implies you will do what she wants, which--to me--is the opposite of what she wants. I take it to mean that she doesn't want to be with someone who keeps asking her what she wants to do, when they should go out, etc. To me, it sounds like she wants you to plan events and probably pay for them, i.e. entertain her. I could be wrong, though, so proceed with caution.

I'll bring up a scenario that many people dislike, in case this is simply what she is trying to avoid:

A: Where would you like to go for dinner on Friday?
B: Oh, anywhere is fine.
A: Do you want Chinese food? We could go to that new place.
B: Okay.
A: What about Thai? You like that place by the office.
B: Sure, we can do that.
A: I'm kind of craving sushi though. What about sushi?
B: I guess.
A: Sounds like a no. That Chinese place got really good reviews.
B: Sure, I like Chinese.
A: Ooh, what about Mexican food?

That junk drives me insane. Better:

A: I thought we'd go to that Thai place by the office on Friday. I remember you liked the Crying Tiger.
B: Sounds great.
A: Cool, does 7 work?
B: Yep.
A: Great, I'll pick you up at 6:30.

I suppose a real "take charge" person would just announce, "I made reservations at the Thai place for 7, so I'll pick you up at 6:30," but that's too overbearing in my opinion.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree. Asking "What do you mean by that" implies you will do what she wants, which--to me--is the opposite of what she wants. I take it to mean that she doesn't want to be with someone who keeps asking her what she wants to do, when they should go out, etc. To me, it sounds like she wants you to plan events and probably pay for them, i.e. entertain her. I could be wrong, though, so proceed with caution.

I'll bring up a scenario that many people dislike, in case this is simply what she is trying to avoid:

A: I thought we'd go to that Thai place by the office on Friday. I remember you liked the Crying Tiger.

I suppose a real "take charge" person would just announce, "I made reservations at the Thai place for 7, so I'll pick you up at 6:30," but that's too overbearing in my opinion.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

A man that can plan and take charge but has manners in asking if it's alright with you.
A person who can handle doing his bills.
A man who will go out and get groceries and make a damn good meal.
A man who can remember things and follow through.
A man who can stand up for himself in a respectable manner.
A man that can surprise you but in a good way.
A man who is a problem solver.
A man who shows manners such as holding the door, pulling the chair out, order drinks you like. Ask if you would like him to order for you or not.
And so much more. You want to be a person who pays attention and shows class butt can laugh with the best of them.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Thanks. That is exactly the reason i dont want to ask her what she meant exactly, because she would likely perceive as me trying to mold myself into this type of man she wants - which is not true at all. Im not affraid of her reaction, but am cognizant of how she would receive it. And thanks for your input. I am somewhere in the "better" category on your scale, but only because her schedule is super busy and spotty. Normaly i make all the plans and communicate them well, with occasional chance for her to set something up. I think shes pretty happy there.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Maybe the comment wasn't even in reference to you. Maybe she was just complaining about her past.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Maybe the comment wasn't even in reference to you. Maybe she was just complaining about her past.
I dont think it was in reference to me, but just a general comment of what she finds appealing. I dont think she was judging me on my level of assertivness or anything like that. But it still made me curious, because it is something that doesnt always seem to easy to define, or perhaps has many different definitions altogether.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Why not ask her what she means? It may come as a shock to you, but not all women (or men) think the same way about everything. No, really.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Why not ask her what she means? It may come as a shock to you, but not all women (or men) think the same way about everything. No, really.
i already explained in the thread why not ask her directly. read up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships