Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Well then, who else should you be and how long do you expect yourself to maintain that alter ego? You can't run from who you are, and eventually your true colors will manifest themselves. May as well save the headache and stress of trying to maintain a false image and just be who you are. I'd rather someone be interested in the real me rather than my short-lived representative.
But i'll ask the question again, what if no one is interested in the real you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
That's what I'm saying.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
Quote:
That would really depend on why. Are you loud, obnoxious and rude to the point you embarrass people when you go out? Are you a negative Nelly who never has anything good to say about anything? Are you a know-it-all who disagrees with everything everyone says to you?

There are some people who are truly unpleasant to be around. My experience with those I know personally is they really aren't happy in their lives.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
That would really depend on why. Are you loud, obnoxious and rude to the point you embarrass people when you go out? Are you a negative Nelly who never has anything good to say about anything? Are you a know-it-all who disagrees with everything everyone says to you?

There are some people who are truly unpleasant to be around. My experience with those I know personally is they really aren't happy in their lives.
Lots of perfectly decent but not attractive guys just don't do well with women.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
IMHO, "be yourself" is, indeed, terrible advice. For people asking you for advice, if being themselves worked, they wouldn't need advice in the first place. I used to hate it when someone told me to "just be myself."
Who/what are you going to be, then?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
who/what are you going to be, then?
sol?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post

It doesn't matter.

If someone is loud, obnoxious and rude then that's who they really are. If they weren't obnoxious and rude then they wouldn't be themselves. They would be someone else.
Same thing with the negative person and the know-it-all. Those unbearable character flaws are their real personalities.

I think this topic deserves deeper insight and greater debate then many people want to give it.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
sol?
Lol

I think the point is that you can't always be "not yourself." You'll eventually revert and then wonder why your partner says you've changed, or they don't know you anymore.

Been there, done that.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter.

If someone is loud, obnoxious and rude then that's who they really are. If they weren't obnoxious and rude then they wouldn't be themselves. They would be someone else.
Same thing with the negative person and the know-it-all. Those unbearable character flaws are their real personalities.

I think this topic deserves deeper insight and greater debate then many people want to give it.
Is a flaw someone's true character or is it just a behaviour they're exhibiting? Or can behaviour and character not be separated? If you're loud and obnoxious, but underneath are good-hearted and kind, isn't loud and obnoxious a persona you've assumed, and couldn't you change those behaviours without changing the core of who you are as a person?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Lol

I think the point is that you can't always be "not yourself." You'll eventually revert and then wonder why your partner says you've changed, or they don't know you anymore.

Been there, done that.
Sure, you are right.

My point is that "being themselves" means that some guys end up not having partners at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships