Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Hate to break it to you jack, but it isn't just women and I have seen men fleece women plenty of times in marriage. Your specific examples and gender blame sounds like just personal sour grapes to me.
Of course there are terrible men out there but divorce law seems to be more strict on men. If a man doesn't pay he is thrown in the slammers. If he tries to disappear the system will find him in one way or the other, wage garnishment, etc. and I AGREE WITH THAT. Imagine if these women who ask for 5 digit quantities for alimony, maintenance, and so on, were also checked under the microscope to see if they really spent the money ON THE CHILDREN instead of her nails, designer/label purses and shoes, girls night out, etc.

Also, what's up with that other thing women get "life she was accustomed to living"? Same thing. If this applied both ways then men should continue with "life HE was accustomed to living" and have her go to his house to cook and clean. Both doing their part while she gets back on her feet. If this was applied, I bet women would get back on their feet in a blink of an eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Ohhhh Susanna...Here We Go AGAIN

I may just be whistling past the graveyard when I say this, but I hope this doesn't morph into yet another 70+ page men vs women/married vs single wolf-ticket-selling marathon and general b***hfest

I say this because I've posted in many of those myself, but even I grow weary of the same ole-same ole ALL THE BLOODY TIME

I will also say that, based on reading the OP, and gauging the reactions of my fellow posters, that this individual needs to step to her newly-minted boyfriend, and 'maintain' her a** the hell outta Dodge...that just borders on the extremely ridiculous---if you want X amount of dollars, above and beyong any court-imposed alimony/and or child support, to support your lifestyle while you follow after some new dude and smile and sniff the air blissfully as he cuts the cheese, and your name ain't JLo or Angelina, then you need to hustle your a** home and read the want ads and maybe get another job, or hit up Waldo-the-new-boyfriend for the extra scratch

Note, too, that I would say this if the situation/gender was reversed, and the OP was a guy relating the same tale---if the s**t is wrong, then it's WRONG...screw splitting hairs over some gender BS

Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
This is so true Jet! I had a friend from Cayucos that was hell bent on marrying a gal from San Miguel. Everyone else could easily she that she was pretty awful. But since she,according to him,gave great head,he seemed to overlook her flaws and married her. 1 year later she had his house and half his pension and savings. Talk about thinking with the wrong head!
Well, marrying someone from San Miguel was his first mistake...that's why Paso is off my list for potential suitors

I saw this happen to a friend of mine from college... she married a man after he cheated on her multiple times and she swore up and down that marriage was gong to 'fix him'. Well, when she met one of his mistresses and her young child she figured out marrying him wasn't a good idea. She knew better and it was her own damn fault for looking past his issues and still marrying him.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
And women wonder why men are afraid of getting married???
Men are not afraid to get married. It's their choice of women that is an issue. If they want a high maintenance stay at home type then when the divorce comes along they shouldn't be surprised they get screwed over. It always behooves a man to choose a woman with a decent job who can support herself. That way the Court may look at the whole alimony issue in a different light.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
I need to point out a few things that I already said, but it's getting lost in teh mix.

~ She works - always has, so she's not lacking in skills.

~ He husband didn't cheat. She first got mad because he didn't ask her about her bad day, then it turned into "married too youing, tired of him"

~ I'm not looking for people to argue on who deserves what, I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of this before.

ETA:

~ She was never a high maintenance woman, she just decided she wants that life now, so it wasn't to be expected

Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
He owns a local towing business, and she's a secretary (not for the business, at another place).

She was never that type of maintenance person. Like I said, I think it's more a revenge thing because she decided she no longer wants to be with him.

What set her off was because she had a bad day at work, and when she got home he didn't ask her what was wrong. So she packed a bag and went to her sister's, then called him and said she was never coming back, said he didn't care about her, etc. Then afterwards she started with the "married too young, tired of him" thing.
She sounds crazy. $24,000 a year plus alimony from a small business owner? On what planet? Hopefully she gets laughed out of court soon and regains the use of her senses.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM

64 posts, read 243,562 times
Marriage is an outdated concept. This is one more reason why people shouldn't do it.

Maintenance payments are not new. Living in CA, this sort of thing is de rigeur.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of this before.
No, sorry. I don't know anyone who receives alimony, let alone maintenance.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I can see that, but with my friends who have gotten divorced, all the signs were there long before the marriage started. They were just ignored because they were soooo in loooove. Sure, people change, I'm not doubting that, but I've noticed that a lot of huge issues are ignored or overlooked with many couples.
I can see that, but I think if you're constantly looking for reasons not to like/love a guy, you're going to always find something. I'm not saying to ignore red flags, but your other post made it sound like you're going to submit him to psychological testing or something first; or, at the very least, pick him apart.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I may just be whistling past the graveyard when I say this, but I hope this doesn't morph into yet another 70+ page men vs women/married vs single wolf-ticket-selling marathon and general b***hfest

I say this because I've posted in many of those myself, but even I grow weary of the same ole-same ole ALL THE BLOODY TIME

I will also say that, based on reading the OP, and gauging the reactions of my fellow posters, that this individual needs to step to her newly-minted boyfriend, and 'maintain' her a** the hell outta Dodge...that just borders on the extremely ridiculous---if you want X amount of dollars, above and beyong any court-imposed alimony/and or child support, to support your lifestyle while you follow after some new dude and smile and sniff the air blissfully as he cuts the cheese, and your name ain't JLo or Angelina, then you need to hustle your a** home and read the want ads and maybe get another job, or hit up Waldo-the-new-boyfriend for the extra scratch

Note, too, that I would say this if the situation/gender was reversed, and the OP was a guy relating the same tale---if the s**t is wrong, then it's WRONG...screw splitting hairs over some gender BS

I piped up because I don't want to see a gender B*tchfest either and some posts did specifically target women in general for this type of behavior. Thank you for clarifying your position on the matter. I, too, do not agree with the Shennanigans this woman appears to be pulling. One of my own female friends and what she did to her husband made me absolutely sick and I don't even talk to her anymore. On the flip side I watched a number of men do some draining of the well dry without providing crap the whole time they were married and it too makes me sick. So, I'm with you - if it's wrong - it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships