Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,949,541 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the good thoughts! My Mom wished him congratulations AND condolences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,017,944 times
I won't know until I'm married. If that happens.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,862,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Dana Adam Shapiro: I Was The World's Worst Husband

Interesting article I thought some of you may enjoy! I sure did. It was real, it was honest, and somewhat enlightening--for me anyway.

P.S. For the love of _______________________ pleeeese replace the author with a he/she as you please. Yeees we all can make these mistakes MALE and FEMALE, this particular article just came from the voice of a male. Not calling males out or anything, just tickling your brains for enjoyment and/or enlightenment.

This was a depressing read. This guy was so like most of the guys I knew who got married in those days. So many decent, considerate guys never had a chance, yet women complain that all men are a**holes.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,687,227 times
I wanted to get married, but I didn't want to get married when I did.

I've been miserable ever since.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,880,147 times
Not yet. Only 24. Waiting till I am in the late 20's.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,221,387 times
Man everything involved with marriage is expensive and women have such high expectations....

I really don't want to spend 10,000 on a ring........

Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,612,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Man everything involved with marriage is expensive and women have such high expectations....

i work wiht a guy who's girl told him that if he were to ever propose, he would need to spend at least 30k on a ring. Poor guy is pinching pennies for awhile now. I would have laughed and walked.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,838,157 times
Quote:

expecting a 10,000 ring is ridiculous. Whoever expects that should be able to purchase it for themselves.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM

242 posts, read 351,554 times
Quote:

Not every marriage is like that and not every woman has high expectations regarding rings and extravagant weddings. My wife and I got by with just a wedding band for our wedding and we had a clambake in her parent's backyard for the reception. My friends still tell me it's the best wedding reception they ever went to...

Of course later on I had to get her a very nice ring so she would have something to show off, but by that time we were in much better shape financially than when we got married so it wasn't that big a deal.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,306,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
Not every marriage is like that and not every woman has high expectations regarding rings and extravagant weddings. My wife and I got by with just a wedding band for our wedding and we had a clambake in her parent's backyard for the reception. My friends still tell me it's the best wedding reception they ever went to...

Of course later on I had to get her a very nice ring so she would have something to show off, but by that time we were in much better shape financially than when we got married so it wasn't that big a deal.
Funny ain't it? Certainly, we did both did rings (between her engagement ring and our bands it amounted to be several thousand dollars). Now after over a decade together, we both got into considerably better physical shape over the past few years (my wife's transformation was friggin' dramatic, awesome, and courageous all at the same time). As a consequence our rings don't really fit anymore so neither of us wear them. But we are in no particularly hurry to get them resized. Because after our children, home, and general married life together we both feel we don't really need the outward display of the rings to show we are together. So they are very nice to look at on the little crystal pedestal on which they sit but no "hardware", no matter how much it costs, can demonstrate what the true testament of marriage is.

Yes giving her the engagement ring was meaningful. But I think then the whole revelry behind the rings, the dress, and the ceremony was for more for my wife's friends (think peer pressure) then anything else. Don't get me wrong; I was more than happy and complicit to oblige. But all of the material things surrounding the engagement up through the day of the wedding (even money we received as gifts that were part of the down payment to our first house) actually have ZERO practical use in our everyday life today. If I can convey any message to any young lady, the cost of your ring is valueless in terms of the measure of how your fiance feels about you. Now to put a commensurate amount of money into a retirement account on your behalf means something because he's in it for the long haul!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships