Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,780 times

Advertisements

What do you do...

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the two parites dislike for each other was only communicated to you, but its quite different when both parties know the other hates it guts.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:45 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
My bf doesn't like my friends and I dont really like his much either. Everyone wants to do things on Fri or Saturday anyways, so we end up going out with our friends separately. Works for us.

In real life circumstances, you wouldn't force two strangers to be friends, so I dont feel it's an obligation for everyone to be buddy buddy if they have absolutely nothing in common.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,892 times
Time for new friends and a boyfriend? Maybe?

Lol, no seriously, tell them this is your life and you choose the people in your life because they make YOU happy. You appreciate any concern that they may have for you but there is no need. Also, tell them you are now requesting that both sides STOP talking about the other. Suck it up if they want to be in your life. I personally would call a meeting with everyone included to get it all out there on the table since they all know anyway.

Whoever else acts a nut after that, I would distance myself very very far from them. The last thing anyone needs is toxic relationships.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
My bf doesn't like my friends and I dont really like his much either. Everyone wants to do things on Fri or Saturday anyways, so we end up going out with our friends separately. Works for us.

In real life circumstances, you wouldn't force two strangers to be friends, so I dont feel it's an obligation for everyone to be buddy buddy if they have absolutely nothing in common.
True, but you can expect everybody to act like mature frickin adults and not show or say what they feel all the time when its negative. If neither party is bringing physical harm to the OP both sides need to shut it and act mature. Noone's saying be friendly, but being cordial is necessary if they are to all mix.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
I would be more wary of them liking your bf/gf too much.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Figure out which one is quality (your friends, or the BF/GF) and get rid of the other. Get rid of all of them if they all suck. If people aren't getting along on a wholesale basis, then there is a reason.

Short answer: It ain't gonna work!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Unless your friends are total losers, they are generally a pretty good litmus test.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:38 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I don't get it. I mean, I've had boyfriends my friends didn't really approve of, but they were grown-up to be civilized when associating with them. And one boyfriend HATED one of my friends. He still was polite to her. I've hated some of my friends' significant others, but I treat them with the same courtesy I would anyone else.

I will note though, that in all cases when one party hated another, like really hated them, there was a serious flaw with one of the parties involved. The friend who absolutely loathed my one boyfriend? No longer my friend (not only because she hated the boyfriend). The boyfriend is long gone, but I appreciate the fact that he helped alert me to her very poor sense of boundaries. The other boyfriend who really hated one of my friends is gone, and the friend is still in my life. I usually think that the person doing the hating is the one who has to go, unless they're hating because the object of their hate is physically or emotionally harmful to the significant other/friend.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
I don't date people my friends don't like period

Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Even if they don't like each other they should be mature enough and care for YOU enough to be nice to one another in social situations. And I'd be pretty concerned that my friends hated my boyfriend. I want a boyfriend that can fit into my social circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships