Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
It's a lack of foresight and a severe inability to distinguish the superficial from the important.

Of course, once women are sucked into this life, their options are usually severely limited. Hence, the serial relationships that go nowhere.

A choice of birth control, adoption or abortion should be vigorously promoted with the alternatives CLEARLY presented. Far too often popular culture portrays this in a positive light while the incentives - such as free housing - can lead to poor long term choices. Unfortunately, 95% of the welfare goes to long term cases of women with children rather than short term help to get single people back on their feet.

The era when women with children can often remarry has ended. It may be unfair to some women but it is the reality.
The bolded is not true at all. In fact, my single Mom friends have had WAY more luck dating than I have, and many of them remarry fairly easily. A friend of mine (I've mentioned her, the one who was married for nearly 10 years and her husband left her and the kids) had a boyfriend within 6 months of her separation and he's absolutely fantastic and adores her and the kids. My sisters best friend is dating a 22 year old girl with a 5 year old and absolutely loves her and the kid and he's only 21 and a really good guy. The gal whose fiance left in the middle of the day while she was pregnant? Got a boyfriend at 7 months along. Just had her baby a few weeks ago and they're both happy. He has a great job and seems like a genuinely nice man.

Me? No kids, college educated, single for going on 3 years. The single Mom's I know seem to have absolutely no problems at all getting into relationships with good men. I know it's anecdotal and may be regional but they never have issues getting boyfriends or getting remarried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I know it's anecdotal and may be regional but they never have issues getting boyfriends or getting remarried.
It isn't regional. I can attest to the same anecdotal phenomenon living in both New Zealand and Australia. The divorced Mums I knew never had a problem finding another man. And good men too, not knuckle draggers.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
The yeah of people using children for economic gain really rubs me the wrong way.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
It isn't regional. I can attest to the same anecdotal phenomenon living in both New Zealand and Australia. The divorced Mums I knew never had a problem finding another man. And good men too, not knuckle draggers.
Exactly! I think a 'ready made' family appeals to a lot of men, considering they don't have to go through the courtship, the marriage, the pregnancy etc etc. They skip all the 'hard parts' and BOOM, family!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

I can say the same of my area. I dont know any single moms that cant date or remarry if they choose to. After my first husband died I had no trouble finding interested men. I had no desire to remarry at that time and turned down several marriage proposals.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post

Teen pregnancy, or that kind of people who marry, produce a few babies and then divorce and repeat the same pattern with somebody else over and over. Do you think the reason is a lack of Emotional Intelligence? (rather than a lack of education, or IQ, since some educated high IQ people do so too)
How many teens have emotional IQ, anyway? Teens are just beginning to learn about relating to the opposite sex in a romantic way (as opposed to friendship). Few at that age have emotional IQ. The reason for pregnancy probably relate more to self-esteem issues of various sorts.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:

Teen pregnancy, or that kind of people who marry, produce a few babies and then divorce and repeat the same pattern with somebody else over and over. Do you think the reason is a lack of Emotional Intelligence? (rather than a lack of education, or IQ, since some educated high IQ people do so too)
Teen pregnancy, not always, but YES in many cases.

Divorce, no.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:09 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I can say the same of my area. I dont know any single moms that cant date or remarry if they choose to. After my first husband died I had no trouble finding interested men. I had no desire to remarry at that time and turned down several marriage proposals.
This has been the same thing my single mom friends experienced as well. I've told Notaredneck that in another thread where he wrote something similar(along the lines of single mom's being damaged forever and never finding a quality relationship or marriage again). I suspect that he and the men he associates with are against dating/remarrying single mom's but in my area I see no single mom's wanting for relationships or second marriages. I'd say it seems like they have it easier, when I compare friends I've had that have been single for years, or my sister for instance, who educated, childless, sweet, smart, pretty, etc and yet can't seem to snag a LTR.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:

Emotional Intelliegence is a questionable term which has some people asking if it's even real intelligence. EI is compared with a personality measure but not with a measure of academic intelligence vice versa, contrasted with a measure of abstract intelligence but not with a personality measure. Emotions are unpredictable as well making it difficult to identify a correlation. Anyhow, it's difficult to nail down anything conclusive with the above mentioned behaivor since the pattern is found with married or devoirced women, high or low income, an different education back grounds.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Theres Too many contraceptives out there for teen pregnancy to be a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships